Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

Flying off the Winch Handle

26 April 2007
Cass
The auto pilot motor is right behind dad's pillow in the master stateroom. As a pilot he has become accustomed to sleeping with earplugs. These little noise blockers may soften the honks and expletives of city traffic but have no effect on the kryptonite that is George. He didn't get much sleep Tuesday night so I made him a fat brunch of pancakes, eggs, and cocktail sausages then sent him back to bed around noon. I thought that I'd do a little hand steering to give George a break and allow the captain some quality zzzzz's. I wound up surfing Sora and breaking our speed record. I rule.

The wind has been coming out of the E SE but at 20-25kn. We've had crazy hull spanking (shhh-POP!) surface chop with at least 12 footer swells. The conditions were perfecto.

He says he didn't get much sleep because, in addition to sweating like a dog in a Wal-mart parking lot, he kept falling on the floor when the big sets came through. I was oblivious cruising along at 9kn hitting 12's on the waves. I had my ipod on and was apparently inspired enough to 'belt out some tunes'. I have no recollection of this. However, I do remember letting a "WHOOO HOOO!" slip when I saw 13.4kn show up on the chart plotter while riding down the backside of a perfect swell. Rather than congratulating me, Dad said I should have gone for 14kn. He's just pissed cause he hasn't seen anything above 12.7kn.

Later in the afternoon we were fighting gravity in the cockpit when we heard a loud "BOOM!" The reacher halyard had chafed through at the top of the mast and snapped. We pulled the sail out of the water and said good bye to our wing wing set up. The wind had been building and it was time to change sail plan anyway. The spinnaker pole that was holding the jib starboard needed to be put away. I was winching the base of the pole up(a pully and a track system on the main mast) and just about a foot from the top the gears in the winch disengaged and the winch handle spun out fiercely, flew across the foredeck, then bounced into the Pacific. I felt awful, those handles are expensive and I ain't got no job, but at least no one got hurt.

Right now we're running the equivalent of a double reef in the main, full jib and mizzen. Sora is maintaining 7.5 to 9.5kn. The hull spankers have been angry this morning. A rogue wave just broke on our hull and one of the hatches in the salon was not dogged down. A wave of water just seeped in, but only the table and floor seem to be wet. Good deal. Most of the time the water tries to hit electronics, like ipods, computers, cameras and the like. Not today, you sneaky waves.

I started reading Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl. It's about a group of 6 men who sailed across the Pacific in a raft made of Balsa wood from Peru to the Marquesas. They averaged 46kn a day. The trip took them 101 days. Ouch.

Cheers to modern nautical engineering, Cass

1150nm to go
Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL