Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

Hike of all hikes

06 May 2007
Cassie
Amy, an SA friend of mine crewing s/v Free Spirit, and I set out to hike across Fatu Hiva. This is a 15k hike that took us all day, about eight hours. The weather was perfect, a slight cloud cover with occasional refreshing rain showers.

There are two villages on Fatu Hiva that I know about. Hanveve, next to our anchorage, and Omoa, our destination. We arrived before sunset when the afternoon light begins to change. It was exquisite. We collected bananas, guavas, mangoes, and a few mystery fruits to ask the locals about.

Over on the other side of the island things weren't going so well. The short version of it all is that the police were called to look for us because we took a few more hours than expected. We were just being picked up by the vice-mayor when our dinner party was scheduled on the other side of the island(all day walk, 20 minutes dinghy ride). We made it home safe, though a couple hours behind schedule. Lobster, mahi and tuna sashimi, BBQ chicken, coconut shrimp rice, and a local banana casaba paste were served to us with comments in French about how everyone was glad we were ok.

We're leaving this morning to sail to another island. I'd tell you which one but my dad's not talking to me.

Cheers to a new anchorage Cass

Amy took this picture of me rinsing my hands off in an afternoon shower. The dirty state of the seat of my pants is due to falling out of a banana tree.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL