Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

While Cass is Away, the Mom.....

13 August 2007 | Rarotonga, Southern Cook Islands
Karen
Will become Sora's blogger. Roratonga in the Southern Cook Islands reminds us of a rugged frontier town straight out of the old west days with their false front buildings, wooden walkways, and one long Main Street through town. Unfortunately the very busy commercial, small harbor is not sailboat friendly, making us Med-moor (drop anchor in the middle of the harbor and fall back stern to the sea wall with many lines tied to neighboring boats) which is fine in good weather but uncomfortable in a blow or squeezed when the container ships must turn to leave port.

As with all Polynesians, these folks are friendly, kind, generous, and very welcoming to cruisers. They are also rounder, having more normal body shapes than the skinny gorgeous Society Islanders but with the same gentle, soft, Polynesian beauty and miles of gorgeous black hair. They are curious about us and our lives and willingly share their family histories. Curious custom is that their ancestor's graves are in their front yards - keeping the departed near and dear, I suppose.

There is a contemporary Catholic church in the middle of town which always leaves their doors open, inviting everyone to enter and enjoy the stained glass windows but it's the back drop of the mountains that attracts me, reminiscent of our early days in Lewistown, Montana. Being a New Zealand territory, Roratonga is the first island where we must drive on the left side. Terry took our motorcycle into the country practicing "wrong-way driving" and more importantly shifting before he could get his license. Had a blast "Steve McQueening" up and down the mountain roads and around the perimeter, visiting the lagoons, motus (small islands situated between the large island and the reef), craft making islanders, and of course continuing our search for the perfect bar!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL