Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

Spidey blog

21 September 2007
Cass
Dad is an explorer. He is not a sit guy. If you put him in one place for more than five minutes his eyes begin to wander, seeking out a path or trail to somewhere more interesting than where he currently is. Some call it adventurous, some call it the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome, and some may even call it adult ADD. You be the judge.

Our last anchorage, Port Morrele, was a fine example of this point. He trekked over the whole island of Kapa and was chased by angry mama pigs, dogs, and almost ran face first into a spider bigger than your hand. That picture is for real. I normally enjoy accompanying pa on his explorative hikes, but thank you Jesus for making me lazy that day.

We set sail Thursday morning for a day anchorage about an hour around the corner. After tying off to a rotten pier with a wooden sign, "Bar and Restaurant", that had been all but blown down, we climbed up a rather well manicured path for ten minutes. We should have know what to expect when brushing the cobwebs from our faces for we came across a burned down hut with a marble table in the middle in an obviously abandoned compound. Too bad. We were so looking forward to our cold beverage reward at the top of the hill!

We lifted anchor not an hour later to head for the blue lagoon. Jib and mizzen were up(the main's in the shop), and we were making about four knots. Dad and I were just looking at one another with curiosity. Something's not quite right we agreed. The water between these islands of the kingdom of Tonga is completely flat. As a pancake. As an ironing board. As Demi Moore's abs in GI Jane. To sail in silence with no wave action is bizarre. It's surreal. It almost feels like cheating. Like ice cream with no calories. Like gourmet jelly beans that taste just like a pina colada, when you know darn well that it's not a frozen alcoholic beverage. I understand why lake sailing is so popular- It's sailing with out the seasick! I tell ya, just when I think I know what I'm talking about, something comes along and shakes my foundation.

We picked up a mooring in a completely protected anchorage abundant with reef fishes, turtles, and goats. Kayaking around the perimeter I heard a rustle in the bushes and held still long enough to see a black goat hopping through the trees. Mom went for a yak the next day and saw the same guy in the bushes peeking out at her. When dad was walking through the little village he unknowingly met the gentleman that lives on the goat island and invited him to come to Sora so that mom and I could see his wares. We wound up getting a great deal on a carved swordfish bill and making a new friend. He gave us free reign of his acola trees. An acola is not only what you get when a lime and an orange have a baby but also Mom's new favorite fruit. Score.

Dad's out to fish the pass and mom's got her nose in the cruising guides. I should give the waterline some attention, but I just started reading Papillon and I'm hooked.

Cheers to good books, Cass
Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL