Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

Heaving to a Possibility. Yuk.

04 September 2008
Cass
Last night I was snapped awake by the irritating flogging about the foredeck caused by the deflation of the spinny. The port guy had chaffed through where the pole hanks on. I hate it when that happens. What little breeze we had had petered out a bit but Simon and I poled out the jib anyway. Weeble-wobble-smack-slap was the result so I started the engine in attempt to keep up some speed so we didn't arrive in the middle of the night. Well, the wind, she picked back up and pops had us sailing again this morning. We're at that pivotal point where if we haul arse we can make it before sundown or we can slow way down and arrive at daybreak. We collectively decide to fly the chute again. The last time we put it up was a speed record compared to how we snarfed things up this morning. Not only did the sail wrap itself around the baby stay with a seemingly purposeful gusto, the guidelines for the sock managed to get all mangley tangley too. I'd say we were at it for more than 20 minutes. We'll be race ready in no time.

We're making 6kn. We need to go at least 8 to make it today. Nobody is saying anything. I'm certainly not going to bring the obvious to attention. I predict we'll be anchoring late this evening. Pops says we'll be heaving to.

Simon just saw a tuna "leap from the depths". He reckons it was as big as he is which isn't that big but worth putting a line in the water. We haven't caught an edible fush yet on this crossing. I'd say we're due.

Cheers to the inevitable, Cass

This is a picture of the rare Sorrel Comet. It only appears every 5th generation. Just kidding. It's actually the spinnaker police documenting our activity. I expect multiple violations and a hefty fine upon arrival.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL