Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

Batu Ferringhi

06 December 2008 | Penang
Karen
Ferringhi Beach, a popular hippy hangout in the 1970s, has changed dramatically to a resort community of picturesque coves and beaches hemmed in by the densely forested interior and linked by a twisting road lined with deluxe resorts. The most fabulous of which, the Shangri-La Rasa Sayang Resort, slept FedEx crews on their Penang layovers. Terry had stayed here for the past 15 years and we just had to visit.

Since we were actually just squatters at one of the most opulent hotels on earth, we felt obligated to make use all of their services. Jen and I had foot massages at our pool side lounges after swimming. She rode "Happy" down the beautiful pristine beach for an hour. Terry chatted up the bartender and found that Tony remembered him from years before. The 2004 tsunami damaged the first floor of the Shangri-La which has since been renovated to this unbelievable marble, teak, tile, and glass structure. Like WOW!

As dusk was falling we visited the Night Hawker Market - brightly lit stalls selling Chinese chop, batik, t-shirts, fake designer watches, purses, luggage, and sunglasses - which was set up along the streets and found many bargains.

Be sure to visit the Photo Gallery for more information.

Cheers to enjoying how the other half lives! KK

Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL