Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

Bali #3

28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
Karen

After we hiked all the beaches on the South side of Bali we rented a van and drove the rest of the island. I use the term "drove" loosely. Bali is very densely populated and it seems as if there are 2 motorbikes for every person. In the cities they are everywhere, passing on both sides! In a lane sized for 1 small American car you'll often find 2 scooters and a car vying for space. Add few street signs and the fact that the map is written in Indonesian and the scarce signs in Balinese and you have an instant recipe for driving woes.

We were lost most of the time but no worries; a motorbike would pull up next to Terry, motion for the window down, and give us directions that were usually right. Even though we really enjoyed Ubud, the cultural center of Bali, and the volcanic mountains which are majestic and still threatening to erupt, our favorite spot was Lovina. It's a gorgeous little beach town on the north shore that reminds me of Key West. Cruisers feel so at home here, after our sojourn to Lombok we returned and are enjoying our time with old friends from Polynesia, ridiculously cheap food, hotels, and of course Bintang.

We're off to discover more of Indonesia at dawn tomorrow and will be at sea for a couple of weeks.

Cheers to beaches, beers, and best friends, KK
Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL