Port: Whortonsville, NC
21 November 2020 | Whortonsville Ensign Harbor
09 December 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
15 September 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
10 May 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
10 May 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
01 October 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
11 September 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
05 September 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
29 May 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
02 May 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
07 December 2017 | Whortonsville
09 August 2017 | Whortonsville / Oriental
02 July 2017 | Whortonsville
15 May 2017 | Whortonsville
22 March 2017 | Whortonsville, NC
05 December 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
01 November 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
29 September 2016 | Beaufort / Whortonsville
28 August 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
13 June 2016 | Belhaven NC

February Weekend 2010

21 February 2010 | Whortonsville, NC
Lane Kendall
Our local weather forecasters have been telling us that the winter of 2010 has been the worse winter on record for many years. My first hand observations agree. It seems that every weekend either brings rain or extreme cold or both in the form of a snow or ice storm. We are usually more active at the in winter but the weather has simply not allowed it. Finally there was a fair weather window during a weekend so we took the opportunity to head east. This would be another short weekend because Judy is working until 6 each evening. Arriving at the boat at midnight when the outside temps are below freezing is a recipe for a cold uncomfortable night, which neither of us need. The weather is still too cold for sailing, so we don't need a full day on Saturday. We had no plans except to relax and check on the boat and perhaps catch up with friends.

Saturday February 20, 2010
Since we were packing light for a minimal impact trip, it only took a few minutes to pack the car. We left before 7am. The weather was clear and cold. We stopped at IHOP in Asheboro for breakfast, like we did last time. We made another stop for a bio-break and one at the Piggly-Wiggly in Bayboro for a few last minute groceries. Even after all those stops we arrived at Ensign Harbor at about 12:30.

We had hoped to see some of our dock mates since the weather was so nice but none of them were there. We figured maybe they had all gone to town for lunch but as it turned out, we were alone at the docks yet again. We unpacked and went for a walk to gather some much needed vitamin D from the sunshine. A bit later in the afternoon, we drove over to Oriental for a cup of coffee at the bean and a browse at the Provision Company and the Consignment shop. I found a pair of 1" stainless steel bows that just might work for the dodger I really need to build. When we returned from town Nick and Jeanette were doing some yard work. Nick was celebrating the nice weather by sporting a pair of shorts along with his jacket. They were enjoying the weather as much as we were although the seemed to enjoy the cross-country skiing they had done the week before. I don't think I need to say that cross-country skiing is not something you could expect to do much of in Pamlico County North Carolina. We had a nice long visit and found out that, in addition to a snowstorm, there had been a high wind / low water event at the docks. Our neighbor Ragtop lost her jib entirely. The sail ripped from the furler and started to unwind. Nick said it "flapped" in the wind for days until the sail was shredded because the wind was so strong he could not pull the boat close enough to the dock to get aboard. Nick said he had to adjust our dock lines because we were banging against the pier. Luckily he must have gotten to it in time. We sustained a bit if damage below the rub rail but I think I can compound it out or at least fix it with some gel coat.

When the sun started setting it got cold very quickly. We were glad we had left the little heater on from earlier in the day. The cabin was toasty warm. I had served my first attempt at chicken and dumplings on Friday night for Judy's birthday dinner. I had made plenty so we enjoyed them again for Saturday night dinner. After dinner we rigged the ship's theatre and watched a very bad "B" grade pirate movie called "Return to Treasure Island" I had downloaded it for free from the Internet. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. No matter, I slept after the first 30 minutes anyway. Judy said at one point all the pirates (in the movie) were snoring and they suddenly started fighting each other, except for one, so she had to assume it was her pirate doing the snoring.

I was cold in the vee-berth but we slept well. Judy does like to make the bed for a single night so we brought sleeping bags. Not as comfortable, but warm and considerably less trouble.

Sunday February 21, 2010
I woke up by 7am. Judy had been up long enough to have brewed the coffee. She was wrapped up in her sleeping bag and looked like a caterpillar. I always enjoy mornings on the boat. No matter what we have for breakfast, it always tastes good and coffee is always better served on a sailboat. This morning's breakfast was English muffins and honey. We had not particular plans but we weren't in a hurry to get home. I wanted to exercise the diesel for a while and Judy wanted to take a walk. We walked down Old Lupton Road to Point Marina. We asked a lady on one of the boats if Ken and Jan were around. I had been trying to get with Ken to look at his Catalina 30's dodger. The lady said they were down for the weekend but thought they had gone to town for breakfast. Judy continued walking but I went back to crank the diesel for a test run. It coughed a bit since it hadn't been run since Thanksgiving, but cranked and ran purring like a big cat. I ran the engine while I sat and composed a "to do" list of spring chores. The list got long in a hurry so I stopped writing before things got out of control. When we first got the boat, I did more working than sailing. In the last few years I have put more emphasis on sailing and enjoying he boat. Most of the big tasks have been taken care of but there are always maintenance things like changing oil and fuel filters that must be done so the vessel will be reliable.

Some of the non-essential chores are now being brought to my attention on a regular basis. Number one on the list is leaking windows. This ailment is not restricted to our Catalina 30. It is a problem for all older Catalinas. The way the windows are made make them vulnerable to leaking. Later models have dark Plexiglas windows without window frames. I assume this eliminates the leaking but I much prefer the older look of the clear glass windows and aluminum frames. I have already done extensive work on the starboard side windows, taking them completely off the boat and home for a complete rebuild and re-caulk even replacing the vinyl rubber channel seal. I worked hard and spent a good deal of bucks only to find the windows started to leak again shortly after they were reinstalled. I will try a quick fix that I have been reading about in Mainsheet Magazine that does not require removing the windows from the boat. If it works I do not expect it to last long but on the other hand the complete rebuild only lasted weeks. I figure I don't have a lot to lose.

Judy came back from her walk and promptly shut the diesel down. I get the impression she does not like to hear or smell the engine. I had not finished my to do list but had enough tasks to last a while. We saw some folks walking on the dock and found they were looking for a slip to rent. Nick came down shortly after they arrived. This is the advantage to having our boat essentially in Nick's back yard. If there are strangers on the docks, he is always there quickly, to find out their purpose for being there. Soon Ken and Jan, who we went looking for earlier, came to see us. We all had a really nice visit and compared boats, leaky windows and all. Ken has stopped by to check on his brother Don's boat. Ragtop is our neighbor boat that lost her jib in the recent high wind event. They stayed with us for a good while. It was nice to see them and catch up. I was telling Ken about my latest boat-building project and it turns out that he is also building a stitch and glue dingy. Hopefully we will catch up with Ken and Jan when the weather is warmer for a sail. With a 5-hour drive facing everybody, we left at about 3pm.

It was nice to get away and simply float for a day, even if we didn't go anywhere. We are looking forward to spending a lot of time on board when the weather improves. I will probably spend several work weekends no matter what the weather if I want to get all the chores done before time to sail again.

Comments
Vessel Name: Southern Star
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 30
Hailing Port: Whortonsville, NC
About:
Southern Star is owned and sailed by Lane and Judy Kendall from Mount Pleasant, NC Southern Star (formerly Sea Breeze II) started her life on Lake Lanier near Atlanta. [...]
Extra:
1983 Catalina 30 Tall Rig with Bow Sprint
Builder: Catalina Yachts
Designer: Frank Butler

Dimensions:
LOA: 29' 11"
LWL: 25'
Beam: 10' 10"
Displacement: 10,300 lbs
Draft: 5'3"
Engine: Universal M-25 21HP
Tankage:
Fuel 18 [...]
Home Page: http://www.svsouthernstar.com

Port: Whortonsville, NC