Port: Whortonsville, NC
21 November 2020 | Whortonsville Ensign Harbor
09 December 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
15 September 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
10 May 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
10 May 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
01 October 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
11 September 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
05 September 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
29 May 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
02 May 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
07 December 2017 | Whortonsville
09 August 2017 | Whortonsville / Oriental
02 July 2017 | Whortonsville
15 May 2017 | Whortonsville
22 March 2017 | Whortonsville, NC
05 December 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
01 November 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
29 September 2016 | Beaufort / Whortonsville
28 August 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
13 June 2016 | Belhaven NC

Spring-Cleaning in September

18 September 2006 | Whortonsville, NC
Lane Kendall
If memory serves, instead of doing spring-cleaning in the spring, we went sailing. I stand by that decision.

Pictures

Saturday September 16, 2006
We were able to leave a bit earlier than usual on Friday night. Judy had an "on the road" dinner prepared, so we were only made one stop of the way. The weather was cool and damp, no air conditioner required. We unloaded a minimal amount of gear because the boat is still docked with her bow next to the dock, and it is difficult to load and unload until she is docked with her stern to the dock. We turned the boat around before breakfast and finished unloading the heavy stuff.

I had finished the "at home" part of the new lazy-jacks and was anxious to get them installed. I had to fasten a single fairlead in the front of the mast just below the spreaders. That's a simple task unless the location is up a 40 foot aluminum pole. I borrowed Richard's "Top Climber" and went up the mast. While there I fixed the flag halyard that had not worked since installed. I finished the elevated part of the task in an hour or less. The "Top Climber" is not designed to be an aerobic exercise machine, but it could pass for one. A single trip up a modest mast each day would eliminate the need for any further exercise aerobic or otherwise. I finished the "on deck" part of the installation, took some pictures and covered the sail. Do they work? I will report in a future log.

After a fine lunch of the First Mate's famous chicken salad wraps and a much-needed nap, it was time to start cleaning. When you think about it, it's amazing that a boat can get that dirty just tied up to a dock. She is at least 30 yards from the nearest dirt. The First Mate did a through cleaning in the cabin and I scrubbed the outside as best I could. Our common complaint was mildew. We concluded that growing mildew is a boat's second best talent, second only to leaking. They all do it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Out of respect for the First Mate and others, I took a shower. We were going to have my favorite meal for dinner and I was getting hungrier by the minute. A light coat of olive oil, some selected spices and about 12 minutes on really hot grill is all it takes to cook a salmon fillet to perfection. Served with steaming brown rice and a cool salad it is a meal that is hard to beat at any price in any restaurant. After dinner we visited with our friends Richard and Francis aboard their Catalina 34. We wanted to get the details on their afternoon shopping trip.

Sunday September 17, 2006
When we go to the boat for a work weekend, we always seem to spend Sunday just going home. We get up in the morning, pack, and leave for home. I think I figured out why. When compared to our normal daily physical activity, (I am a computer jockey by trade) a workday at the boat is more than a week's worth of physical exertion. We don't really feel like doing much on Sunday because we are exhausted. The good news is that we don't always have to work that hard. The sailing trips are not so tiring and a single good sail across the Neuse makes up for several exhausting work days.

The picture for this Sail Blog is of an old North Carolina state flag. This flag is special because it flew for nearly 20 years and many happy miles under the starboard spreader of our much-loved Catalina 22, "Sarah". Southern Star's little sister is alive and well living her third (or fourth) childhood with Captain Andy on Lake Norman where she is now known as "Two Foxy Old Ladies"

Pictures
Comments
Vessel Name: Southern Star
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 30
Hailing Port: Whortonsville, NC
About:
Southern Star is owned and sailed by Lane and Judy Kendall from Mount Pleasant, NC Southern Star (formerly Sea Breeze II) started her life on Lake Lanier near Atlanta. [...]
Extra:
1983 Catalina 30 Tall Rig with Bow Sprint
Builder: Catalina Yachts
Designer: Frank Butler

Dimensions:
LOA: 29' 11"
LWL: 25'
Beam: 10' 10"
Displacement: 10,300 lbs
Draft: 5'3"
Engine: Universal M-25 21HP
Tankage:
Fuel 18 [...]
Home Page: http://www.svsouthernstar.com

Port: Whortonsville, NC