Carson May 2015
28 May 2015 | Whortonsville, NC
Carson wrote me a letter about a month ago. He wanted to know when he was going to get to ride in my little blue truck and when we were going to the boat again. He also enclosed a flyer with Harbor Freight coupons with the letter. He has not been willing to go without his dad in the past and I don’t think he is quite ready yet. Jason had a long weekend we decided to give it a go. Jason got a reservation at the “Inn at Oriental”.
Saturday May 23, 2015
We left at about 9 am. Last time we made the trip it was almost too much for Carson. We had to stop at least once an hour to let him run around a parking lot and burn off some energy. He is older now and Gram kept him busy with his art work. When he wasn’t busy with that he had his tablet for playing games. We stopped at McDonalds in Richfield for breakfast and Smithfield for Subway sandwiches. We arrived mid afternoon. The weather was great! There were a lot of folks down working on their boats and some of the boats were out on the sound.
I checked into my traffic net via Internet. Judy served spaghetti for dinner in the cockpit and before we knew it the boys were ready to go to the Inn and call it a day. We turned fairly early as well. Everything went well until Judy got a call at about 3 am. Carson was having trouble with a broken toenail and was also running a low fever. Jason drove him over to the boat so Gram could work on the toe. The rest of the night went better but neither Jason nor Carson got much sleep.
Sunday May 24, 2015
The weather was still looking great. Carson was not feeling well but he was trying to have a good time. He helped me get the boat ready and we motored out of the slip around 11 am. It was not a great day. After about 30 minutes I throttled the diesel up to shorten the trip to the Neuse. I commented to Jason that there was a bit of vibration in the prop and I figured it was due to a barnacle buildup. I watch gauges closely and after I throttled up I noticed the temperature gauge was creeping up. It never did run hot but I know the boat and it was running much hotter than it usually does. The diesel exhaust was much darker than usual as well. I had no idea what the problem was. When I throttled back down the temperature dropped along with the RPM. I had to make a decision and I was not crazy about having to wait for a towboat for an hour if the engine failed, especially with a little boy on board who was not feeling well. I made the decision to turn back. At least Carson got a boat ride even if we didn’t sail.
When we got back Judy suggested a trip to the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. The trip would require a ferry ride which suited Carson although he was not very enthusiastic about anything. I stayed at the boat with the intention of trying to figure out the engine problem. After doing some Internet searches and talking to Nick, Jeanette and Stefan I think it is entirely possible that a fouled prop could cause the overheating problem. Richard had a similar problem several years ago when his variable pitch prop got fouled. I looked at my email correspondence and found that I had dropped the ball. It had been well over a year since our bottom had been cleaned. Stefan suggested getting the bottom cleaned and see if that fixes the problem before I look for another cause.
Nick and Jeanette arrived back at the dock late in the afternoon. They had been anchored on South River in their new Tartan 35. After they got settled I went over and got a tour. It is a really nice boat and Nick reports that it sails like a dream. I called my traffic net from the boat while I waited for my crew to return. Carson enjoyed the aquarium and the ferry ride. He was paying close attention because he was of the opinion that the captain was getting much too close to the day marks in the channel.
Carson did not feel well enough to eat and Jason had a burger on the way back so Judy and I had leftover spaghetti for dinner. Carson had planned to spend the night with us on the boat but it was evident that he wasn’t up to it. The boys left fairly early for the Inn. The weather was still just great. We turned in early as well.
Monday May 25, 2015
We started the process of getting ready to leave and had everything ready to pack when the boys got back with the car. Carson slept a lot on the way home. We had to wake him up for lunch. He actually felt a little better after lunch but was still flying pretty low. Carson asked if he would have to wait a year to come back and we told him he could come back any time. Maybe next time he will feel better and the boat will feel better.