South Georgia Expedition Log

Welcome to: Kayaking to Save the Albatross South Georgia Island Expedition. This is a personal log by kayaker Hayley Shephard who is attempting a World First Solo Sea Kayak around this isolated Sub-Antarctic Island.

25 March 2010 | Bound for Ushuaia
24 March 2010 | Falkland Islands
23 March 2010 | Stanley, Falkland Islands
21 March 2010 | Onboard the Prince Albert II
20 March 2010 | Onboard the Prince Albert II
19 March 2010 | Onboard the Prince Albert II
18 March 2010 | Grytviken
16 March 2010 | Cumberland East Bay
15 March 2010 | Ocean Harbour
14 March 2010 | Prince Olav Harbor
13 March 2010
13 March 2010
12 March 2010 | Craigie Point
11 March 2010 | SALISBURY PLAIN
11 March 2010 | Salisbury Plain.
10 March 2010
10 March 2010 | Rosita Harbour
09 March 2010 | Rosita Harbour
07 March 2010
06 March 2010

SOUTH GEORGIA BOUND!!!

15 February 2010 | Stanley Falkland Islands
Hayley Shephard
Last evening Beth-Anne and I entered the boat after an evening of blogging, emailing and skyping at our usual 'Narrows Bar' internet hangout.

"I will go to South Georgia but with a few conditions", Keri announces before we are even through the hatch. I tried not to get too excited, nor get my hopes sky high again, wanting first of all to hear her out as she explained the circumstances with which she would be willing to take us to South Georgia. As well, I felt very protective as to how emotionally attached I got to this new possibility of going to Sth G. Having previously worked through the disappointment of it feeling very much out of reach I felt myself treading very cautiously.

Without having the expertise of Greg onboard, Keri established the following conditions.

-She would make conservative calls as to our movements particularly related to weather and sea conditions.

-If there is another major injury with one of the crew, we turn back and the expedition will be over.

-All crew will take sea-sickness medication and do their best to eat and drink on the ocean crossing.

-As I paddle, the Northanger and I will communicate regularly, they may travel a little closer than originally planned and the SW coast will only be an option if we have a decent wide weather window.

-Open up the return date so there is no time restraints or pressure to get back to catch a flight.

Followed by the fabulous news and reasonable conditions, I called up Brian hoping he was still interested. Yep, he was still keen and his wife Lin was still willing to let her husband head to sea with 3 women and a marvelous Magnus.

I spoke with Richard McKee who has been dealing with our permits and he was pleased too hear the news and wished us a safe journey. I think that means we are still permitted to continue with the expedition :)

And so today we:

-Took on diesel and propane

-I returned the kayak and charts to Steve

-Bought enough Salt n Vinegar chips to keep Me and Magnus happy kiwis.

-Brian came onboard and had a good look at the engine, electrics and other workings of the boat.

This nasty SW wind that has kicked up a storm surrounding the Falklands, causing snow, hail, rain and sunshine to fall upon us in a matter of minutes, is moving through. It looks as though our time of departure will be..... WEDNESDAY - Feb 17th in the early wee hours of the morn. Yippeee! Phew!

Magnus shared some of his youthful wise words - "Through previous experience, we know it's best to only get really excited once we arrive in South Georgia"

Inside my head is spinning, my tummy is churning with excitement, the butterflies are back but this time I feel completely ready to bend and twist with the tide of life, just as one needs to when involved in an expedition.

Later today Dean will be posting a few photos along side the previous blog entry, just to put a few images to the words.

Thank you Thank You for your comments and interests. I look forward to communicating with you from one of the most dramatically beautiful islands on the planet....wahooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: oceanmaid
Vessel Make/Model: Necky Looksha IV
Hailing Port: Ushuia Argentina
Crew: Hayley Shephard

Who: Hayley Shephard
Port: Ushuia Argentina
Share |