South Georgia Expedition Log

Welcome to: Kayaking to Save the Albatross South Georgia Island Expedition. This is a personal log by kayaker Hayley Shephard who is attempting a World First Solo Sea Kayak around this isolated Sub-Antarctic Island.

25 March 2010 | Bound for Ushuaia
24 March 2010 | Falkland Islands
23 March 2010 | Stanley, Falkland Islands
21 March 2010 | Onboard the Prince Albert II
20 March 2010 | Onboard the Prince Albert II
19 March 2010 | Onboard the Prince Albert II
18 March 2010 | Grytviken
16 March 2010 | Cumberland East Bay
15 March 2010 | Ocean Harbour
14 March 2010 | Prince Olav Harbor
13 March 2010
13 March 2010
12 March 2010 | Craigie Point
11 March 2010 | SALISBURY PLAIN
11 March 2010 | Salisbury Plain.
10 March 2010
10 March 2010 | Rosita Harbour
09 March 2010 | Rosita Harbour
07 March 2010
06 March 2010

Phone Call From Hayley

07 March 2010
Dean
Sunday morning at 11am I recieved a wonderful surprise when Hayley called me directly from South Georgia via her SAT phone. It was fantastic to hear her energetic voice even through the static and distortion. How amazing to think of the technology that enables a conversation between 2 people on opposite ends of the world.

It was a short conversation as her battery only had 1 bar left but she was able to tell me that she was in good spirits despite being beach bound. She had just finished dancing with king penguins on the beach (WoW) and has been reading lots to pass the time.

I asked her if she was keeping warm and sleeping ok. She said that the outdoor clothing from Kokatat is amazing and that she is staying cozy, and that she sleeps well except for the high winds that distort her tent and wake her.

Other than that Hayley wants to send out a hello and thank you to everyone. She will be getting fresh batteries when she meets up with the Northanger and will have more updates then.The weather looks fair for tomorrow and she hopes to be on the water then. The weather reports are not always accurate to the real time conditions, and she said that she has struggled every inch of the way so far. I think that once she turns the top of the island and the wind is at her back that she will make up lots of time hopefully.

Thanks to Sally who has been working hard at finding new flights for Hayley and Beth-Anne, you ROCK!
Comments
Vessel Name: oceanmaid
Vessel Make/Model: Necky Looksha IV
Hailing Port: Ushuia Argentina
Crew: Hayley Shephard

Who: Hayley Shephard
Port: Ushuia Argentina
Share |