Spitfire Blog

Spitfire

Who: Rob and Karen
Port: AYC
06 October 2010 | Halifax
15 September 2010 | Toronto, Canada
06 September 2010 | halifax, NS

Plumbing

06 October 2010 | Halifax
Rob
Yesterday I started looking into why I had very low pressure water in the Galley. I had done some work to repair a leaky pressure pump last year, so I started there first. I found the bladder deformed on one side, from heat! I remember running a tank dry under sail, and I guess the pump didn't turn it self off. It's not meant to run dry, and made a lot of heat. Fixed that with a new kit. Then I found the accumulator empty on the pressure side, supposed to be 10 psi. I had zero.
topped that up. Once I had it all assembled, found the same low pressure. Turns out the strainer screen at the very outlet in the faucet head was plugged with some sort of crystal or sand. CLR took care of that, and voila, all is well.

While I was at it, the shower sump pump had to be cleaned (gross) and rebuilt. The back flow valve had failed sometime last month, and needed replacement. Now all is clean and runs like a top. Hopefully that's it for the water issues.

I miss sailing.

15 September 2010 | Toronto, Canada
Rob
Stuck for 4 weeks in a class room in Toronto. It's all about airplanes this week, the new Dash 8 Q400. Will be in Halifax this weekend though, for the annual Harbour Island Classic with good friends.

First Post!

06 September 2010 | halifax, NS
Rob
This is the first post for s/v Spitfire, a 1982 C&C35 Landfall, out of AYC in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The boat hasn't sat around much this year, a trip to Jeddore with the RNSYS cruise, down to Prospect for a night, then came the Route Halifax-Saint Pierre ocean race.
We corrected to 4th in cruising class with a great crew and a perfect beam reach for 54 hours.
From there, we sailed to Fortune, NFLD, then to a couple fjords on the South Coast, Hare Bay and Grey River before making our way to Sydney, to get ready to bring the boat home via Baddeck, St Peters and Liscombe Harbour.
Shortly there after, a nice run to the wonderful LaHave River YC for a few days and on up to Chester for a few. Hot Hot Hot weather.
Made it home in time to prep for Hurricane/ Tropical Storm Earl, which luckily we went through with zero damage. Good Prep pays off.
Vessel Name: Spitfire
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 C&C35 Landfall
Hailing Port: AYC
Crew: Rob and Karen
Extra: This is our second season with Spitfire, getting to know her more every trip. Next year will be no exception, looking forward to planning a visit to �les de la Madeleine and Prince Edward Island. Stand by for more photo's and stories about 2010......

Spitfire

Who: Rob and Karen
Port: AYC
Just Go Sailing......