Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Otranto

09 July 2017 | Otranto
C&C
It felt quite calm in the marina so we dropped lines and motored out to head north. Once clear of the bay though it became apparent that if anything, the wind had increased, we were banging into 15 knots with 1.5m seas. Whilst it’s quite safe doing this sort of passage it’s not the most comfortable or peaceful as the boat is constantly banging and crashing as she hits the waves. We discussed turning back but the forecast was similar for the next day so we stuck to it and spent five hours edging our way north. The wind did abate slightly as the trip went on so that the waves became less significant and therefore the passage was more comfortable.

We turned into the bay of Otranto around 17.00hrs and headed straight for the anchorage in the NW corner where we hoped it would be more sheltered. We dropped anchor in a good spot which was also next to another Broadblue Catamaran. A BB385 similar to the one we met in Syracusa. She is called ‘Mo’ and is owned by a German solo sailor.

The bay is very open to the east and north east but we were sheltered enough tucked up in the corner. Whilst we’ve been here the winds have been light so the swell is not a major issue. There are very few berths for passing boats here even though it is a popular place to cross the Adriatic. In our time in the bay there were constantly boats coming in, trying the very small marina area and then having to come out and anchor. Combined with the locals using their boats at the weekend the anchorage has been very busy. There’s a small harbour behind the anchorage for small fishing boats etc where we can tie our dinghy so it’s a good set up for sailors who like to anchor if the weather is right.

We toured the town and the old medieval streets the next morning, it’s a very attractive place and has been well maintained. We liked the town and will try and go back to see the castle if it’s cool enough at some point. We even went for a swim as the water here is so clear, in many of the harbours we visit the water hasn’t been very inviting.



Carolyn's first swim of the season!!

On Saturday night we went ashore to eat intending to go to a place Carolyn had researched. When we got there however it really looked too snooty and pricey so we opted for the Trattorria across the road, Terra Nostra on Via delle Torri. We had a nice starter of roasted and pickled vegetables and then a rather unusual dish of thin slices of griddled beef accompanied by rocket leaves and slices of parmesan like cheese. The beef that was fairly rare worked OK with the cheese as there was enough moisture to compensate but the parts that were well done made it somewhat dry tasting. It was interesting to try and would probably make a different starter in a small portion. We shared a lemon sorbet in the local ‘Granite’ style as a desert. The staff were helpful and the place used all local ingredients including the wines so it was a worthwhile stop, we would eat there again. There was a free concert in a crook of the castle walls as we returned, a nice community atmosphere even if the music was moderate in skill.



The concert within the walls

From our cockpit we can see three beaches – Free ‘Steps beach’, ‘White Plastic’ beach and ‘Blue Plastic’ beach. Let me explain – the free beach is mostly composed of concrete steps running down to a strip of sand but you don’t have to pay here. Blue and White Plastic are areas which are covered with neatly arranged ‘sunbrellas’ with two deckchairs propped against it (either coloured blue or white dependant on the colour scheme of the beach) – clearly you have to pay here. The first morning we were somewhat surprised to see Steps beach really busy at 08.30hrs but have now realised that in order to get a good place on the free beach you have to come early! Having watched for a couple of days it’s now clear that the Italians aren’t daft, the free beach is packed all day and both the plastic beaches have few customers. The perfectly arranged ‘stands’ are not what a beach is supposed to look like.



Sunday at 11.00am - Steps beach (free) on the right, White Plastic beach to the left

We are watching the weather and will head north to Brindisi either tomorrow or on Tuesday if the forecast is correct.

Main Photo: The old town of Otranto from our anchorage
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie