Starbright Northwest Passages

Voyages on the Salish Sea of the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia

20 August 2017 | Catching Up - San Juan Islands to a Visit Home
08 August 2017 | Cabbage and Tumbo Islands
05 August 2017 | Cabbage Island
04 August 2017 | Nanaimo to Cabbage Island.
01 August 2017 | Nanaimo/Newcastle_Island
27 July 2017 | Newcastle Harbor
26 July 2017 | Grace Harbor and Pender Harbor
20 July 2017 | Heriot Bay
16 July 2017 | Von Donop Inlet - Cortes Island, BC
09 July 2017 | Alert Bay - Port Harvey
05 July 2017 | Port McNeill
29 June 2017 | Port Mcneill
24 June 2017 | Pierre's at Echo Bay
23 June 2017 | Shoal Harbor / Proctor Bay
22 June 2017 | Simoom Sound
21 June 2017 | Kwatsi Bay
19 June 2017 | Mound Island, then Waddington Bay
14 June 2017 | Lagoon Cove Marina - E Cracoft Island
13 June 2017 | Forward Harbor
12 June 2017 | Shoal Bay

Hustle and Bustle

01 August 2017 | Nanaimo/Newcastle_Island
Steve / Hot, sunny, and smokey
Biscuit and I have been doing daily walks and swims on Newcastle Island and generally enjoying pretty high temperatures for this area. Daily highs are in the high 80's with plenty of sun with strong NW winds bringing in some serious smoke from the 800 or so wildfires burning in the BC interior. Evenings cool off nicely, though, and there is always some activity to watch from Starbright's cockpit at anchor. The Dinghy Dock Pub sponsors a weekly sailing race and it is fun watching the racers thread their way through this crowded anchorage as shown in the picture! I am not sure what the turning marks are, they may be anchored vessels.
A pleasant week has unfolded here in Nanaimo with a few nights at anchor and a couple of nights at the Nanaimo Yacht club so that we could explore some more of Vancouver Island. Even rented a car and had a day excursion to the VanIsle West Coast at Uclulet. That area is definitely on the list for future journeys. The latter half of our stay here has seen the arrival of the pretty strong NW winds mentioned above. This results in a number of cruisers piling up in the anchorage to await better conditions to cross the Strait of Georgia, straining an already full anchorage and causing some questionable anchoring choices from the late arrivals. I got a little uncomfortable not being able let out enough scope for the higher winds with a couple of these yahoos so took a couple of nights in the mooring field for safety.
Comments
Vessel Name: Starbright
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 340
Hailing Port: Portland, OR
Crew: Steve and Barb
About: Our home is our hailing port of Portland, OR and Starbright is slipped in Bremerton, WA. Roxy, the chocolate lab/boxer mix, has passed on so Biscuit, the big yellow guy, is now ship's dog and has taken over duties searching off the fantail for dinghy destinations.
Extra: Amateur Radio Station W7XV is in operation on Starbright and checks into the Great Northern Boater's Net on 3.870MHz at 0800 PT, the West Coast Boater's Net on 3.860MHz at 1800 PT, and the Northwest Boater's Net on 3.865MHz at 0830 PT.