Joe and Diane's most excellent adventure

04 May 2013 | Hilton Head SC
04 May 2013 | Daytona Beach
05 April 2013 | Stock Island, Key West
30 March 2013 | Galleon Marina, Key West, Florida
20 March 2013 | Key West, Florida
11 March 2013 | Key West, Florida
05 February 2013 | Ft. Lauderdale
05 February 2013 | Ft. Lauderdale
05 February 2013 | Ft. Lauderdale
05 February 2013 | Ft. Lauderdale
05 February 2013 | Hall of Fame Marina
25 January 2013 | Ft. Lauderdale
24 January 2013 | Delray Beach
19 January 2013 | Ft. Pierce
18 January 2013
14 January 2013
14 January 2013
14 January 2013 | Cocoa Village

We finally leave Daytona Beach for Titusville

03 January 2013 | Titusville, FL
Joe - warmer and warmer, dense fog this morning
1/2/2013 Daytona Beach to Titusville

The picture is of one of the dolphins that followed us for about a mile at 7.5 knots.

Sorry for not posting more pictures but we have not been able to connect to free WiFi recently and our data allowance is closer to max than usual.

Well today we had our first manatee sighting before leaving the Halifax Harbor Marina. It was close to shore in the marina, a big lump in the water with a big wide tail. After the sighting, saying good bye to the people we met on the dock, and stopping at the gas dock for a pump out, we got finally got underway at around 10:30. Titusville is 48 SM away.

Along the way we had two encounters with dolphins that followed alongside the boat for about five minutes each time swimming at 7.5 knots. It was great fun to watch especially in the clear green water with great visibility. Dolphin were everywhere the whole day.

We also had an encounter of the human variety. Near a fishing camp we saw a small boat with a person that looked like Joe's swim team buddy who loaned us his car in Daytona Beach. It was in fact Gary Trimble. He had just driven 6 hours back from Charleston after visiting his son and at the last minute decided to drop the boat in the water to do a little fishing. He was the last person we expected to see.

Otherwise we had an uneventful but warm trip to Titusville. We wore T-shirts and shorts the whole day and even opened up two of the side curtains. We had current against us half the way, current with us half of the way, and several bridges to open. We arrived around 4:30 PM and were told by the marina to pick up any mooring ball we wanted, another advantage to being behind the crowds. We enjoyed a cocktail in the cockpit, launched the dingy, and went ashore and back in the dark. We had leftovers for dinner. Life is good.

1/3/2013 - This morning we woke up to dense fog. We have ordered a rental car for two days so we can provision/explore today and take a trip to Disneyworld tomorrow. Enterprise picks you up at the marina and delivers you back when you turn in the car. The cost of the car is $34.99 per day (the weekend rate). Such a deal!

More about Titusville later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Starlight Express
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 45 DS
Hailing Port: Broad Creek Magothy River
Crew: Joe and Diane Jackins
About: Joe and Diane have been sailing together for the 36 years they have been married. Our current boat (Starlight Express) is our fifth boat ranging from 16' to 45'. We are both recently retired and living our lifelong dream of sailing/motoring down the ICW.

Who: Joe and Diane Jackins
Port: Broad Creek Magothy River