Stars, Sails - the Parallax View

A family of astronomers at sea... coming soon to a galaxy near you...

28 May 2020 | Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2019 | SW Florida
25 May 2018 | Fort Myers, SW FL
02 September 2016 | Fort Myers, FL
11 July 2014 | Fort Myers, FL
04 July 2014 | Fort Myers, FL
01 July 2014 | South Jersey Shore
23 April 2014
11 November 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
05 July 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
25 March 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
11 March 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
25 February 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
24 January 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
25 December 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
15 December 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
28 November 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
25 November 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
07 November 2012 | Fort Myers, FL

The Hyatt Caper

29 December 2011 | Miami
Heather/ sunny and 62 F
Seriously, enough about the wrist: more on boat life, I swear -- we go back aboard tomorrow.

Tuesday we came to the Miami area to keep my Wednesday morning appointment with the hand specialist. We stayed in the Doral-MIA Extended Stay Deluxe, which, although roomy and not expensive for the Miami area, also was a bit iffy - vending machines and security, a vestigial complementary breakfast (no really, it has two "e" s -- no matter what the hotels usually print!), and one bed, with a sofa sleeper for Grant. Want more than one coffee? Buy it in the vending machine (yes, the coffee room-packs, in a vend-o). Want more than one fork in your kitchenette? Better go buy that, too.

Now, about the Hyatt...

But then came my hand appointment and in addition to the medical coolness I described yesterday (like the fluoroscope), they have a standing arrangement with the Hyatt across the street from the clinic: same price as the Extended Stay, but miles nicer! Just had to mention the clinic's name. Most excellent. Grant loves it. The room is huge and pretty, with two double beds, a desk with work area, and a large sectional sofa sleeper. And all the coffee you'd want. A small Starbucks-based cafe facility at the desk. Makes the other place look like a penitentiary (or that could be the lighting).

Today was Operation Day. Everything went well, if a bit slowly. The Miami denizens are all complaining of the chill in the air -- definitely unusually cold for this place, it went into the 50s last night. The medical building is kept at something like 68F -- fine if you are coming in from Miami heat, not so great if it's only 60-something outside as well!

When you have to go 18 hours without food or drink (even water), consider pre-loading at a churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse). We had lunch yesterday at the Texas de Brazil (part of a churrascaria chain, we've eaten at the one in Las Vegas as well, since Grant LOVES these places -- possibly serving the steak from swords is part of the appeal). I was not allowed to eat or drink anything from midnight on, and my appointment was not until 11:30, but it was hardly any problem, due to the immense amounts of food a churrascaria will gently offer to you until you turn up the red side of the little card (meaning, "please, no more!"). After 90 minutes in the waiting room, I will admit that my tummy rumbled a little, and I missed morning coffee, but I had my Kindle and I knew that Derek and Grant would be having a nice lunch and a day's adventure together, so no big worries... aside from getting one's arm cut open and hardware installed ;-)

Spent a few hours in one of the gurney-beds, waiting for the next phase. Thank goodness for the staff being willing to supply warm blankets! They tell me my wrist will not be magnetic after this -- stainless steel, I guess. Gee, and I was considering designing a line of jewelry based on rare earth magnets...

The operation took a little over 30 minutes, but was not started until about 4 pm. There were so many operations in a single day! This is a very efficient practice. It was chilly in the facility, but as mentioned, they had a blanket warmer and were willing to bring warm blankets if patients (or even people in the very chic waiting room!) got cold. Conversations among both patients and staff were about 50-50 Spanish and English, although my impression is that all of the staff are bilingual. Anaesthesia was a "block" of the sensory and motor nerves below the elbow: again, very efficient and healthier for the patient, as it will cut down on postoperative meds a little (the block lasts from 12-24 hours depending on the individual. Mine is still completely in place at 8 pm. NOTE: but was gone by 9 pm. I must be a mutant).

Had another fun astronomy discussion in the O.R. There are a LOT of astronomy fans in that practice! I'm going to have to send them some nice piece of astronomy memorabilia... will think on that.

Derek and Grant made sure I was comfortable in our room, and have now gone out in search of adventure and/or pizza. The first thing Derek got me when he came to pick me up was a Starbucks latte. He da maaan. The second was my prescription for the pain meds. The third was a bowl of chicken soup from the snack bar downstairs. They are both awesomely thoughtful! Grant helped me on with my "astronomy" fuzzy socks, a set of star-spangled blue ultrasoft socks for keeping one's feet warm (much needed after that chilly day).
Comments
Vessel Name: Parallax
Vessel Make/Model: 37' Prout Snowgoose (1982)
Hailing Port: Pensacola
Crew: Derek, Heather and Grant
About:
Two astronomers, looking for variable stars and adventure. After cruising the Caribbean aboard S/V Paradox for 18 months in the early 90s, the crew swallowed the anchor and had a child, always planning their next Great Adventure: cruising under sail with Grant, showing him the world. [...]
Extra:
We knew that if we ever got a catamaran, we'd want a name to celebrate her twin-hulledness. Parallax is seeing the same thing from two slightly different points of view, which with our two eyes is what gives humans our depth perception. It's also a good metaphor for one of the benefits of marriage. [...]

S/V Parallax

Who: Derek, Heather and Grant
Port: Pensacola