Stars, Sails - the Parallax View

A family of astronomers at sea... coming soon to a galaxy near you...

28 May 2020 | Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2019 | SW Florida
25 May 2018 | Fort Myers, SW FL
02 September 2016 | Fort Myers, FL
11 July 2014 | Fort Myers, FL
04 July 2014 | Fort Myers, FL
01 July 2014 | South Jersey Shore
23 April 2014
11 November 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
05 July 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
25 March 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
11 March 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
25 February 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
24 January 2013 | Fort Myers, FL
25 December 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
15 December 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
28 November 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
25 November 2012 | Fort Myers, FL
07 November 2012 | Fort Myers, FL

Diesel Mechanic - Part The Third

01 December 2011 | Key West (Boca Chica)
Heather/ sunny and 68 F/ NNW 15
Expecting an early-perching diesel mechanic, Derek got started with the sun and made a lovely quiche-like egg dish, using both stovetop and broiler for the finishing touches. We all ate and it started to get later again (as it generally does if you sit around long enough), and behold, no passerine diesel mechanic alighted at our vessel. The rare and elusive De Jong -- ah, we called again (at 11:30 again), and a woman - Marie? - told us that he's very busy stamping out brush fires, but intends to come by after lunch, perhaps at 1 pm.

Now, Grant has math to do, and Derek still has a bit of science to do for his conference paper, so this is still OK, but we had hoped to be able to take Grant to the Key West Eco-Discovery Center this afternoon. The next person to call will probably be me, and I will definitely go into more detail than Derek has so far about the broken arm and the need for speed. This is getting weird.

Windy, blustery day! More on the Mark-sightings later...

1:32 pm: Aha! The rare and elusive Mark De Jong dropped by for a good half-hour and diagnosed our engine issues, which are mainly two: the less-awful one first: the fuel bleed bolt on the engine's injector pump is the wrong size, so it's really hard to bleed if there's air in the line. Fuel did in fact get to the injectors (but Mark warned us about this bleed bolt), so it's NOT the fuel pump (whew!). However, the main problem is the flex plate, and that brings us back to Mark Hyma, the wizard of Pensacola. He installed two new longer shafts in our engines and aligned them, new flex plates because the old ones had been so abused by the short shafts not quite meeting the engine, and um, we started using the engines to get to the boatyard and back, etc. A little too trusting, that was. Finally, after a lot of mysterious "noise" from starboard (but everything was hooked up correctly and running...), Derek checked in the starboard engine compartment underneath the engine, and found two of the four mounting bolts (the things that hold the engine itself in place) lying in the bilge -- and the other two very loose.

Apparently when he was doing the starboard shaft alignment, Mark Hyma had the mounting bolts finger-tight (as is necessary when aligning) but did not remember to tighten them down with a wrench when he was finished. The port engine's bolts were fine. But the starboard engine was running without bolts and, erm, got out of alignment. Derek put the missing bolts back on and tightened everything down, but since the engine was already out of alignment, running it subsequently put undue strain on the flex plate. Upshot: perhaps 50 engine-hours later, the starboard flex plate is shot and we have to replace it and do a realignment on the shaft/engine mount -- which will cost us between $600 and $1200.

Thing is, there is no practical way to go back to a previous mechanic and demand that he fix the problem if 1) you are hundreds of miles away and 2) you didn't catch it as soon as you took delivery. All you can do is warn the next poor boating Joe...
Comments
Vessel Name: Parallax
Vessel Make/Model: 37' Prout Snowgoose (1982)
Hailing Port: Pensacola
Crew: Derek, Heather and Grant
About:
Two astronomers, looking for variable stars and adventure. After cruising the Caribbean aboard S/V Paradox for 18 months in the early 90s, the crew swallowed the anchor and had a child, always planning their next Great Adventure: cruising under sail with Grant, showing him the world. [...]
Extra:
We knew that if we ever got a catamaran, we'd want a name to celebrate her twin-hulledness. Parallax is seeing the same thing from two slightly different points of view, which with our two eyes is what gives humans our depth perception. It's also a good metaphor for one of the benefits of marriage. [...]

S/V Parallax

Who: Derek, Heather and Grant
Port: Pensacola