Sailing on Starshine

Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Pat and Melodie Williams
About: We have been "working the plan" since 2004 when Pat began taking sailing lessons. That lead to a few sailing vacations on sailboats. Melodie took some classes too. We purchased our boat in 2011.
27 February 2019 | Alameda California
26 February 2019 | Mazatlan to San Francisco
26 February 2019 | Mazatlan Sinaloa Mexico
01 May 2018 | El Cid - Mazatlan
09 April 2018 | Marina Mazatlan
07 March 2018 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
23 January 2018 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
04 December 2017 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
24 October 2017 | Oakland, CA
04 September 2017 | South Lake Tahoe CA
04 September 2017 | Culver OR
04 September 2017 | Culver OR
04 September 2017 | Redmond Oregon
17 July 2017 | Polson Montana
31 May 2017 | Our new Camper in Ira Texas
04 May 2017 | Nuevo Vallarta, Riviera Nayarit Mexico
04 April 2017 | La Cruz Anchorage
12 March 2017 | Chamela Bay
12 March 2017 | Tenicatita Bay
18 February 2017 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Recent Blog Posts
27 February 2019 | Alameda California

Goodbye Starshine

Melodie and I have accepted an offer on Starshine. We close escrow on March 8, 2019.

26 February 2019 | Mazatlan to San Francisco

The Baja Bash

Preparing for the Baja Bash (the trip north from Mexico to California). They call it “The Bash” because the prevailing winds and waves are from the northwest. So you are basically going uphill (if that makes any sense).

26 February 2019 | Mazatlan Sinaloa Mexico

Summer 2018

As many of you who have followed our blog over the last four years you’ll note that I have not given it any attention since last spring. So let me fill in the blanks.

01 May 2018 | El Cid - Mazatlan

Marina El Cid - Mazatlan

Today is Tuesday May 1, 2018.

09 April 2018 | Marina Mazatlan

Marina Mazatlan

Today is Monday April 9, 2018.

07 March 2018 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

Leaving Banderas Bay

Today is Wednesday March 7, 2018.

Sea Shepard Project

09 January 2016 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Pat (and Melodie)
Today is Saturday January 9th.

We have been enjoying another week in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. We tried to go to one of our favorite restaurants, Red Chair, but they were closed on Monday. Apparently all the inexpensive taco places are closed on Mondays. We did find someplace that was open though. We went to a place called Ana Banana’s. Although it’s Meatloaf Monday there, we chose the cheeseburger and fries. They had a live band that wasn’t too bad so we stayed awhile afterward to enjoy the music. They had a few large photographs on display that showed the area before the marina was built in 2007. It must have been much more quaint back then.

We got together with our friends from Canada, we met them in Mazatlan in November. They have rented a small apartment in town for the season. We tried our second favorite restaurant, Tacos on the Street, but they too were closed. We ate a new place whose name I don’t recall. I guess I should pay more attention to when these places are open.

On Wednesday we met up with our friends on Optimus Prime and Wind Dancer. We had dinner then attended a concert at Philo’s for a band called Luna Rumba. They played Latin/flamenco style music. They did a really good cover of U-2’s “Still haven’t found what I’m looking for”. Lots of violin and guitar and a cello.

Thursday was vegetable day. There’s a store in town that supports all the smaller stores. On Thursday a truck arrives and they open their doors to the public. Lots of vegetables that are very fresh. We got carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, cilantro, chili, and avocado. We’re all set to head south.

Speaking of heading south. We’ve been in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area) since Thanksgiving. It is time to move on. We’ve been watching the weather and there’s a window on Monday or Tuesday of next week. The trick is to get some wind, but not too much (10-15 kts is perfect) and small seas (less than 5 feet). We’ll see what we finally decide. You’ll be able to tell by where our next blog posting comes from.

Finally, the photos is of the M/V Farley Mowat of the Sea Shepard Conservation Society. It’s an old US Coast Guard patrol boat. They are in town on their way up to the Sea of Cortez. The Mexican government has partnered with them to do a project protecting the Vaquita porpoise there. The northern Sea Of Cortez is the only place where they live. They are the most endangered marine mammal in the world with possibly only 25 females left. Gill nets threaten to wipe them out despite having a designated protected area in the Sea. Sea Shepard will work to patrol and do research in the area. This project is called Operation Milagro II. They have more info on their website. They were offering tours today, but the line was pretty long when we arrived. After an hour of waiting the fuel truck arrived to give them fuel so they stopped the tours. They are only here for three nights. We’ll try again tomorrow and get there EARLY!

That’s all for now.
Comments

About & Links