Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Tonga's Vava'u

20 September 2014 | Fiji
Voahangy
Tonga – July 24 – Aug 08 2014

This is our third visit to Vava’u in Tonga, and it gets better and easier. We know what to expect, our way around town and the anchorages…nearly feels like home.

The ancient Kingdom of Tonga is the oldest and last remaining Polynesian monarchy. It is the only Pacific nation never brought under foreign rule, even though Germany and Britain exerted great influence at some point. This fact explains a lot about the Tongan’s demeanour: they are a very proud, traditional people, strong followers of the royal family (most wear the traditional pandanus overskirt, a sign of loyalty to the monarch). Social etiquette, respect and personal dignity are valued much more than personal wealth, while family and religion are of utmost importance. Reconciling their world with the one offered by “the west” must be a challenge. Tongans first appeared aloof and unhurried to us, as if ignoring us yachties. But once we got to know them, they turned out to be exceptionally relaxed and friendly.

The welcome started at the wharf when we completed the clearance. First I must mention that from Tonga onwards, we are back in countries where inward clearance must be carried out onboard, meaning that no one is allowed to go ashore until authorities have checked us in. Last time this happened was in Cuba, 18 months ago. After the relatively laid back attitude of French Polynesian officials (apart from the overzealous customs officers in Nuku Hiva), most cruisers fret about lengthy procedures and boat inspections. I personally started to go thru all our food supplies, having read that Tonga and Fiji have taken a leaf out of the Australian book and now enforce strict quarantine rules. Terry even encouraged me to drink up so that we would not have so much alcohol to declare on arrival! Well, I am pleased to report that there was no need for such anxiety.

We had barely tied up when the Quarantine officer showed up. He asked about fresh F&V and frozen meat. We had a whole bunch of green bananas from Bora Bora and a few left over tomatoes and onions: even though he should have taken them away, he let us keep them, “because he didn’t want to take food away from the children and felt sorry we were sold unripe bananas by the French Polynesians!” He also asked about eggs: we still had 3 dozens in the fridge, that didn’t bother him, and NEVER did he ask about dairy or dried/tinned food. We gave him a packet of frozen wahoo that we had caught on passage, so he was happy. Cost: T$26.

Customs was next, with a very imposing officer wearing the traditional attire: blue shirt and a badge, long black skirt and…bare feet and chunky sandals! Despite his intimidating look, he was the kindest man, taking the time to explain the rules and ensuring that understood them well. Very easy to deal with. We found out that flare guns are NOT considered a firearm, and declared our alcohol (wine, beer and spirits, including open bottles). The officer had a quick look around the boat, more out of curiosity than anything else, hardly what you would call a search. Cost: free for inward.

Immigration and Health followed with more forms to fill but nothing tricky. Cost: free for immigration, T$100 for health certificate

The whole process took 1h, probably would have been quicker if we hadn’t chatted around lots of cups of tea, lemonade and yoghurt cake made for the occasion (they appreciate all this).

We stayed in Neiafu for nearly a week, moored just outside the Aquarium café. It was indeed a very convenient spot, with great food and free WIFI, we called it our second home!

The town hasn’t changed much in 15 years. It actually seems quieter, with less commercial businesses around (Paradise Hotel is now defunct), while restaurants and internet cafes have multiplied (noting that practically all are run by expats, most of whom landed here while cruising and never left!) Cruisers are well catered with a daily net run by local businesses on VHF26: this is where to hear local gossip, what goes on in Vava’u, or get in contact with other cruisers…This channel is used all over the islands, as the government has installed repeaters everywhere ( a project funded by the EC) to improve communication between villages: beside the radio net, we hear villagers calling each other, fishermen reporting their catch (or lack of it), whale watch operators checking each other’s sightings (I particularly love the one who asked his mate to call him on the phone if he saw any action, “to keep it a secret from all these yachties in dinghies out there!”)

The net made it relatively easy for Terry to find people offering boat services. However while the workforce is here, the parts and technology are much harder to find. Most items need to be shipped from New Zealand or Australia, which takes time and money. Short on either or both, it is then a case of being resourceful. We managed to located such experts in hoarding, adapting and converting: Phil, from Vava’u Canvas Repair did the best he could resewing our gennaker clew; Raymond from Moorings saved the day sourcing an odd part to replace our generator fitting, and Baker from Lighten Up found a second hand VHF antenna for Terry to install. Our skipper being the most resourceful person I know, after a few days of mast climbing, soldering, re-wiring and hose connecting he had the boat ready to go again.

In the meantime, I occupied myself with provisioning and paperwork. Neiafu’s market is as small as before, with fresh garden vegetables where everything is T$3!!! No matter the size (it could be 3 tomatoes or a 5kg pumpkin!!) Frozen meat and dairy are available from the small shops, as well as beer for $1.50 a can . There is not much to do in town, beside listening to the church singing on Sunday, spend time in cafes using free WIFI, and swap info with fellow cruisers. A few activities are available on land such as hikes, visits to the botanical gardens, tour to some villages, cultural shows and Tongan feasts…but we mostly stuck to the water as our crew was tired of breadfruit and taro dishes, more interested in the internet than exploring “yet another village” (their words!) The annual agricultural show happened to be on at the time of our visit and I did try to convince our team to attend: all of Vava’u would be there, local produces would be on display and the King of Tonga was expected to fly in from Nukualofa to take part in the ceremony. I was itching to take a few photos, but the prospect of joining crowds in a Tongan version of the Easter Show was too much for Terry and the kids, who voted for spending the night at a remote anchorage instead.

The Vava’u archipelago is composed of 34 islands, 21 of which are inhabited, and has myriads of channels, deep waterways and secluded anchorages which make it a common stop for many round the world yachts. Navigation is easy, and like the British Virgin Islands most anchorages are no more than one hour from each other. Moorings Yacht Charters has a base here and they have listed all the anchorages on a map, which anyone can purchase for 20 pangai (A$15): Tongan names being impossible to pronounce and remember, they have had the wisdom to number the anchorages from 1 to 41, making it a breeze for sailors. I had plans to visit a new anchorage every 2 days, but weather and kids conspired and we found ourselves spending 2 weeks in 2 anchorages only.

As the weather turned nasty, Port Maumelle (anchorage #7) was our hideaway for 7 days. 35 knots winds, squalls, constant rain…not many anchorages are protected enough for these conditions, and this one was the best place to sit out the weather: 18 other boats agreed with us and sheltered in the bay for days. Nice sandy beach, clear water, whales frolicking at the entrance of the bay, family boats to play with…life could be worse. Arriving earlier than usual in the season meant leaving a lot of our friends behind in French Polynesia much to the kids’ disappointment. However, on the flip side, we ran into boats that had spent the cyclone season in New Zealand and were just embarking on their pacific voyage. So we made new friends (TRIBE, WINDARRA, SHAMARA, …), had bonfires on the beach, sing-alongs, sunset drinks, sleepovers,….in between schooling, whale watching, caves swims, wake boarding and beach yoga! Phew!!! Anne thought it was like being at summer camp and we agreed it must be one of the best anchorages around!!

We braved the wind and the chop to re-visit Ovalau Island (anchorage #40), a gem of an island, and take photos on the beach as we did 6 and 15 years ago. There used to be a herd of residents goats last time, which Terry fought the big male who was very protective of his harem. This time around, the only goat we saw was a baby (more like a puppy) who followed the kids around everywhere…No signs of the adult goats, just as good. Once again the weather was crap and the anchorage was not as smooth as Port Maumelle. Still, with TRIBE, WINDARRA and ONE WHITE TREE for company, we had one pot luck dinner on board ( being the bigger boat, we are always happy to host a crowd) and 2 fun filled days. We took off for a snorkelling expedition at the Coral gardens, which were as good as you get around here, nearly as beautiful as the Tuamotus…if only the sun had come out for a while! The dinghy ride back was wet, cold and rough…making us all yearn for warmer waters. Fiji anyone?

Tonga – Du 24 Juillet au 08 Aout 2014

C’est notre 3eme visite à Vava’u dans les iles Tonga, et tout est de plus en plus facile et de mieux en mieux. On sait à quoi nous attendre, la ville et les mouillages nous sont familiers…on se sent presque comme chez nous.

Le royaume de Tonga est la plus ancienne et la dernière monarchie polynésienne. C’est la seule nation du Pacifique qui n’a jamais été colonisée, même si l’Allemagne et l’Angleterre ont exercé une grande influence dans le passe. Ceci explique beaucoup le comportement des tongiens : c’est un peuple très fier, tenant à ses traditions, et hautement respectueux envers la famille royale (la plupart porte une jupe traditionnelle faite de pandanus tresse, au-dessus de leurs vêtements de tous les jours, comme marque de respect pour leur monarque). L’étiquette sociale, le respect et la dignité sont des valeurs bien plus importantes que l’amassement de richesses, et famille et religion comptent plus que tout. Au début les tongiens nous sont apparus distants et réservés, mais une fois la glace brisée, ils se sont révélés exceptionnellement décontractées et chaleureux.

L’accueil a commencé au quai, au moment de notre entrée. Mais d’abord je dois mentionner qu’à partir de Tonga, nous sommes maintenant dans la zone de pays ou les formalités doivent se faire à bord, c’est-à-dire que personne n’est autorisé à terre tant que les contrôles ne sont pas effectués. La dernière fois qu’il a fallu se plier à ce régime, c’était il y a 18 mois à Cuba. Apres l’attitude relativement laxiste des officiers en Polynésie Française (hormis les douaniers un peu trop zélés a Nuku Hiva), la majorité des plaisanciers s’inquiètent à l’idée de longues procédures et inspections. Nous y compris, ayant commencé à faire l’inventaire de notre épicerie a bord, suite à des rapports que Tonga et Fiji ont copié l’Australie et imposent maintenant une règlementation phytosanitaire très stricte. Terry en est même venu à m’encourager à boire un peu plus pour ne pas avoir à déclarer tant d’alcool à notre arrivée ! Eh bien, j’ai le plaisir de vous dire que ce n’est pas la peine de se faire tant de soucis.

A peine était-on amarres que l’officier du département phytosanitaire s’est pointe. Il nous a posé quelques questions à propos de nos produits frais et congelés. On avait un régime entier de bananes vertes achetées a Bora Bora ainsi qu’une poignée de tomates et oignons : il aurait dû les confisquer mais nous les a laissés « parce qu’il ne voulait pas priver nos enfants et nous a plaints pour nous être fait vendre des bananes vertes par les Polynésiens Français ! ». Il a aussi demande à voir nos œufs, et nos 3 douzaines ont passées le test. Quant aux produits laitiers et les conserves, on ne nous a jamais posé de questions. En échange d’un morceau de tazard congelé pêché en navigation, nous avons eu droit à un beau sourire. Cout : T$26

Puis ce fut le tour du douanier, d’une stature très imposante, et portant l’uniforme traditionnel : chemise bleu et badge, jupe longue noire et…pieds nus et grosses sandales ! Malgré son air on ne peut plus officiel, il était d’une gentillesse notoire, prenant le temps d’expliquer les règles et s’assurant que nous ayons tout compris ! Ici, notre pistolet de détresse n’est pas considéré comme une arme et nous avons dument déclaré nos bouteilles d’alcool (vins, bières, spiritueux, y compris les bouteilles déjà ouvertes). Mr le douanier a fait un tour rapide du bateau, plus par curiosité qu’autre chose, ce n’est guère ce qu’on appelle une fouille. Cout : Gratuit

L’immigration et la Sante ont suivi, avec de la paperasserie à n’en plus finir, quoique rien de complique. Cout : Gratuit pour l’immigration, T$100 pour le certificat de Sante.

La procédure a pris 1 heure et aurait pu être plus rapide sans les bavardages autour de tasses de thé, limonades et le gâteau au yaourt préparé pour l’occasion (ce genre de geste est très apprécié ici)

Nous sommes restes à Neiafu presque 1 semaine, mouilles en face du café Aquarium. L’emplacement était parfait, offrant une très bonne carte et le WIFI gratuit, on en a fait notre résidence secondaire !

La ville n’a pas beaucoup change en 15 ans. On dirait même que c’est plus calme, sans autant de commerces et hôtels (le Paradise Hotel n’est plus), par contre les restaurants et cybers se sont multiplies (à noter que pratiquement tous sont gérés par des expats, la plupart ayant atterris ici lors d’un tour du monde ou autre villégiature) ! Les plaisanciers sont bien pourvus, grâce a un « net » radio sur VHF26 organisé par les entreprises locales : c’est la meilleure façon de découvrir les ragots du quartier, ce qui se passe à Vava’u et contacter d’autres équipages… Ce canal est utilisé à travers toutes les iles, le gouvernement ayant installé des répétiteurs un peu partout (un projet finance par la CEE, soit dit en passant) pour améliorer la communication entre les villages : à part le net radio du matin, on peut aussi écouter les villageois s’appeler, les pêcheurs rapporter leur prise (ou manque de), les opérateurs de whale watching (observation de baleines) comparer leurs observations (j’aime particulièrement le gars qui a demandé à son collègue de l’appeler sur son portable, si il voyait quoi que ce soit, « pour ne pas révéler l’endroit a tous ces voileux dans leurs annexes !! »)

Grace au net, Terry a facilement trouve des prestataires nautiques. Avec un problème cependant : si la main d’œuvre est présente, trouver la technologie et les pièces nécessaires est beaucoup plus difficile. La plupart des pièces doivent venir de Nouvelle Zélande ou d’Australie, ce qui prend du temps et des sous. En manque de l’un ou l’autre, ou les deux, il faut alors faire preuve d’ingéniosité. On a réussi à mettre main sur des experts en accumulation, adaptation et reconversion : Phil, l’australien de Vava’u Canvas Repairs a fait de son mieux pour recoudre le point d’écoute du gennaker ; Raymond, le tongien de la base Moorings a sauvé la mise en dénichant une pièce de fortune pour notre groupe électrogène, et Baker, le californien de Lighten Up avait par hasard une antenne VHF d’occasion que Terry s’est empresse d’installer. Notre capitaine étant la personne la plus débrouillarde que je connaisse, a passé quelques jours en haut du mat, à souder par ci, refaire des circuits électriques par la, et reconnecter quelques tuyaux pour rendre le bateau de nouveau opérationnel.

Entre temps, je me suis occupée de l’approvisionnement et de l’intendance. Le marché de Neiafu est aussi petit qu’avant, offrant des légumes frais ou tout test a T$3 !!! Peu importe la taille ou le conditionnement : ça peut être 3 tomates ou un potiron de 5 kilos ! Viande congelée et produits laitiers sont disponibles dans des petites épiceries, ainsi que la bière a $1.50 la cannette. Il n’y a pas grand-chose à faire en ville, a part écouter les (très beaux) chants à l’église le dimanche, passer notre temps dans les cafés pour profiter du WIFI gratuit, et échanger des informations avec d’autres équipages. Il y a bien des activités à terre, telles que randonnées, visites du jardin botanique, tours de villages, spectacles culturels et festins…mais on est restes sur l’eau, notre équipage lasse des fruits à pain et tapioca, préférant l’internet que d’explorer « encore un autre village » (leurs propos !) La foire agricole annuelle était annoncée pendant notre visite et j’ai tenté de convaincre mon clan de nous y rendre : tout Vava’u serait là, il y aurait des expositions de produits locaux et le roi de Tonga devait même venir en avion depuis Nuku’alofa pour présider aux cérémonies. Ça me démangeait de prendre quelques photos, mais l’idée d’affronter la foule dans une version Tongienne de la Foire de Paris ne plaisait ni à Terry ni aux enfants qui ont tous vote pour un mouillage tranquille a la place.

L’archipel de Vava’u est compose de 34 iles, dont 21 sont habitées, et la multitude de cours d’eau et de mouillages déserts en font une escale favorite parmi les tours du mondistes. La navigation y est très facile, et comme aux Iles Vierges, la plupart des mouillages ne sont qu’à 1 heure les uns des autres. Moorings Yacht Charters y a une base depuis longtemps, et a établi une carte de mouillages que les plaisanciers peuvent acheter pour 20 pangai ((8 euros) : comme les noms Tongiens sont impossibles à prononcer, ils ont eu la bonne idée de numéroter les mouillages de 1 à 41, ce qui rend notre tâche des plus faciles. J’avais prévu de changer de mouillage tous les 2 jours, mais la météo et les enfants ont conjuré contre nous et nous avons passé nos 2 semaines ‘confines » dans 2 mouillages seulement.

Avec une météo peu clémente, c’est à Port Maurelle (mouillage no 7) que nous nous sommes abrites pendant 7 jours. 35 nœuds de vent, des rafales, des pluies incessantes…pas beaucoup de mouillages offrent de protection dans ces conditions, et cette baie très prisée et l’endroit idéale pour attendre une amélioration : 18 autres bateaux pensent comme nous et nous ont tenu compagnie tout ce temps-là. Une belle plage de sable blanc, une eau des plus limpides, des baleines qui s’ébattent à l’entrée de la baie, des bateaux familles avec qui s’amuser…ça pourrait être pire. Le fait d’arriver plus tôt que d’habitude veut dire que qu’on a laissé beaucoup de nos bateaux amis derrière en Polynésie française, au grand dam des enfants. La bonne surprise cependant fut de rencontrer de nouveaux équipages ayant passé la saison cyclonique en Nouvelle Zélande et entamant leur voyage dans le Pacifique. C’est ainsi que nous avons fait la connaissance de nouveaux compagnons de croisière (TRIBE, WINDARRA, SHAMARA…), autour de feux de camps sur la plage, chansonnettes, apéros, jeux et soirées….sans parler de l’école (encore et toujours), les observations de baleines, les baignades dans les grottes, wave boarding et yoga sur la plage ! Ouf !!! Anne s’est cru en pleine colonie de vacances et était d’accord pour déclarer que c’était notre mouillage préféré.

On a affronte le vent et le clapot pour aller revisiter l’ile inhabitée d’Ovalau (mouillage no 40), un bijou, et poser pour une séance photo sur la plage de sable comme on l’avait déjà fait il y a 6 et 15 ans... A l’époque un troupeau de chèvres y résidait, et Terry avait dû se battre avec le male qui protégeait son harem. Cette fois ci, la seule biquette qu’on a vu était toute jeune (comme un chiot) et elle n’arrêtait pas suivre les kids partout…Aucun signe des adultes et c’est tant mieux. Encore une fois la météo était exécrable et le mouillage plus rouleur qu’a Port Maurelle. Ce qui ne nous a pas empêché avec TRIBE, WINDARRA et ONE WHITE TREE, de passer 2 jours fabuleux, et un dîner à bord mémorable (notre bateau étant le plus spacieux, on est toujours contents de recevoir, chacun contribuant un plat et des boissons). Nous avons fait une virée snorkelling au Jardin de Corail, qui était ce qu’on trouve de mieux ici, presque aussi joli que dans les Tuamotus…si seulement le soleil avait été au RV !Le retour en annexe fut mouille, froid et sportif…nous faisant tous languir pour des eaux plus chaudes. Les iles Fiji, peut-être ?


Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011