Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

On the Country Roads of Virginia and North Carolina

25 May 2013 | Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Voahangy
Shore leave - Sept 26-Oct 8, 2012

Where to spend our few days off the boat, but as far away from the sea as we can. Up the mountains, said Anne. Terry thinks a scenic drive would be nice. Well, we're in luck: less than a hundred miles west of Annapolis lays the Shenandoah National Park, with the Skyline Drive as its centrepiece, a 105 miles scenic road which runs high atop the Blue Ridge Mountains in the state of Virginia. The 75 overlooks have views over the Appalachian Mountains and the Shenandoah Valley, and while some people may tire of it after the first 70, we can't get enough of the endless variations on the colour green, red and yellow. It is such an enchanting change from our blue surroundings on the boat!

Our base for 3 nights is the Skyland resort, sitting on the highest peak of the NP, at 3,680 feet. Built in the late 1800's by a local businessman as a summer retreat, it has hosted many urbanites since and is the gateway to many hikes and rides across the park.

Anne got excited about the Junior Ranger program on offer and dragged us on a couple of Ranger walks (Ancient Volcano Hike, Bear Necessities). Between geological lessons and studying for signs of bear activities, we still took the time to admire the scenery and breathe in! I don't want to bore anyone with a detailed report of our little excursions, but here is some of what I remember, in short hands: Acorn. Birch. Bears. Big Meadow. Cubs. Civilian Conservation Corps. Dark Hollow Falls. Deers. Evening primrose. Finch. Fungus. Groundhog. Goldenrod. Harebells. Hiking trails. Ice age. Juniper berries. Lichen. Maple leaves. Metamorphic rocks. Monarch butterflies. New Deal. Oak. Pileated woodpecker. Quaint. Quiet. Raccoon. Skyline. Squirrels. TV-free. Turkey Vulture. Unspoiled. Virginia. White snakeroots. Waterfalls. Zillions years old.

As you can tell, lots of hiking. And the reward for all this was breakfast, lunch and dinner in the great big sleek dining room overlooking the valley!! There is nothing like a big bowl of blueberry granola to set you off on a crisp morning, a warm pot pie to keep you going at noon, and a dainty plate of rainbow trout with dill butter for dinner. Of course Terry and Anne could not finish these warm evenings by the fire without some good old country desserts, while one sampled the blackberry ice cream pie (local speciality), the other gorged on hot fudge sundae. And don't get me started on Shenandoah White, my personal favourite (perfect match with the rainbow trout).

3 days with the heads in the clouds was enough for Terry, who could hear the sea calling (already?) So we proceeded down the range and east, for an overnight stop in Charlottesville. Now, I normally research every place we visit, except in this case, as we winged it at the last minute. So imagine my surprise when I discovered from the "Charlottesville Welcome Book" (you know the one, conveniently placed on the hotel room bedside table, right next to the Bible!) that this college town was voted #1 Best Place to Live in 2011 by Sperling's Best Places ( whose ever heard of them?) and #2 Place to Retire Young by US Money Magazine (I think after 55 means you're still young). More of interest to me is its status of "Locavore" capital of the world awarded by none other than Forbes Magazine: with dozens of local restaurants offering a "farm to table" experience, I really wished I'd known about this before having a pretty average dinner at chain-restaurant Chili's. Still, after realising that the area is rich in history with Thomas Jefferson's Monticello and his renowned University of Virginia, James Monroe's home Ash Lawn-Highland and James Madison's Montpelier home, I tried to convince Terry and Anne to visit at least one of the sites. Unfortunately all this talk of presidential estates didn't impress them, they had seen enough historical homes and gardens in the past 3 months, and just wanted to see something different.

So we drove across to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, 370 miles away. The glory of fall foliage in the Piedmont was slowly replaced by flat land and expansive fields of cotton, pumpkins and sweet potatoes. In sharp contrast to the brilliant blue skies in Virginia, the weather progressively turned bleak, a grey canopy of clouds only brightened by sand dunes as we approached the coast. We've always found the beach uplifting, but not on this occasion. With most of the tourists gone, the businesses were starting to shut down for the winter: beach supplies were 50% off, hotels half full (if that!), restaurants very quiet. The local food was uninspiring ( why do they fry/batter their seafood so much? Can I have a grilled fish please?) and the ocean looked unfriendly. I am sure the place is great in summer, it was just looking sad and forlorn this week. So why were we here? This was Terry's pick, for 2 reasons: Cape Hatteras and the Wright Brothers National Memorial.

Sailing offshore, Cape Hatteras is one of the landmarks we stay well away from. With Cape Fear and Cape Lookout to the south, the Outer Banks (sandy islands with no reefs, rocks, or ledges to hold on to) shift so often that the shoals are notoriously called "the graveyard of the Atlantic". Now that we're on land, it was natural to check out the candy stripped tallest brick lighthouse in the country and the 75 miles seashore. Hailed as some of the most beautiful beaches in the country, I have to confess that instead of making me feel peaceful, they filled me with a sense of foreboding. Must have been the predominant steel grey all around!

More uplifting was the Wright Brothers' Memorial in Kitty Hawk. Anyone interested in aviation history will know about Orville and Wilbur Wright, the inventors of the first self-propelled airplane . I thought we learnt enough about them in the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, but it was something else to see where this exploit actually happened: to stand on Kill Devil Hill and run the 852 feet (258 meters) which mark the length of the 4th and final flight of the brother's machine, makes you realise how far the aviation industry has progressed. 110 years later, we've flown men to the moon, around the earth , jet travel is a daily occurrence, Richard Branson will now fly tourists into space...and it all started on this remote, windblown, sandy patch! Amazing.

Continuing north to coastal Virginia and Maryland's eastern shore, the highlight is probably crossing the Chesapeake Bay bridge-tunnel: considered the largest bridge-tunnel complex in the world, it was built in the early 1960's and consists of 12 miles of trestle roadways, two mile-long tunnels, two bridges, four man made islands, almost 2 miles of causeway and 5 ½ miles of approach roads. Joining densely populated Virginia Beach at the south end to the more peaceful eastern shore at the north end, it measures nearly 18 miles across the mouth of the bay which we sailed thru back in June. At that time, I remember sailing thru the Chesapeake Channel (which turns out to be the location of the tunnel linking islands 3 and 4) unable to see the shores from the boat. Small wonder. The Eastern Shore 's scenery is extremely pretty, but it would take more than a day's drive to appreciate the marshes, creeks, migrating birds, etc...Unfortunately, a day is all we had as we were heading for Annapolis to meet the Lagoon team who was setting up for the annual Sailboat show.

The rest of our shore leave was spent in Annapolis, you can read about it here, with a brief interlude in Washington DC where we picked up Marc on his return from Australia. The very little time we had only allowed us to squeeze in a walk around the upmarket area of Dupont Circle and one final peak at the White House. Apart from me, no one was in the mood for a gallery visit, however brief, but we all agreed that we had to have brunch one last time at the Mitsima Café (at the American Indian Museum), so Terry could taste the buffalo chili and fry bread Marc kept raving about. People say that you should never return to a destination you enjoyed so much the first time, for fear of being disappointed. Disappointment would be an overstatement, but I must say that visiting Washington DC by car and staying in a hotel, felt very different to our July stay on the boat. It certainly was easier back then. Still, it remains one of our favourite cities and I could return there in a heartbeat (though if you're not a tourist, your only option is to work for the government somehow, so my chances are pretty slim!).

Virginie et Caroline (du Nord) - 26 Septembre au 8 Octobre, 2012

Ou passer nos quelques jours à terre, si ce n'est le plus loin possible de la mer. Anne veut aller à la montagne. Terry aimerait bien une route touristique. Eh bien on a de la chance : a moins de 100 miles (160 kilomètres) à l'ouest d'Annapolis se situe le Shenandoah National Park, qui a pour attraction principale le Skyline Drive, une route pittoresque qui pendant 105 miles sillonne le plateau des montagnes Blue Ridge dans l'état de Virginie. 75 points de vue permettent d'admirer les montagnes des Appalaches ainsi que la vallée de Shenandoah, et quand bien même certains seraient blases après les premiers 70 panoramas, nous ne nous lassons pas des variations infinies de vert, rouge et jaune. Cela nous change tellement de notre environnement bleu en mer !

Nous restons pour 3 nuits au Skyland Resort, hôtel perche au point le plus haut du parc national, à 3,680 pieds (1200 mètres). Construit à la fin du 19e siècle par un promoteur local comme résidence d'été, cet établissement a depuis accueillis beaucoup de citadins et reste le point de départ pour la plupart des randonnées dans le parc.
Anne s'est emballée pour le programme des Juniors Rangers et nous a traines dans des randonnées guidées (les anciens volcans, a la recherche des ours). Entre les leçons de géologie et l'étude d'activités animalières, on en quand même profite pour admirer le paysage et surtout prendre un bon bol d'air ! Je ne veux pas vous ennuyer avec les menus détails de nos excursions, donc ne voilà qu'un échantillon de mes notes : Glands. Bouleau. Ours. Grand pré. Oursons. Civilian Conservation Corps. Chutes de Dark Hollow. Daims. Primevères. Chardonnerets. Champignons. Marmottes. Goldenrod. Campanule. Chemins de randonnée. Age de glace. Baies de genièvre. Lichen. Feuilles d'érable. Roche métamorphique. Papillon monarque. New Deal. Chêne. Pivert. Adorable. Calme. Ratons laveurs. Horizon. Ecureuils. No TV. Vautours. Naturel. Virginie. White Snakeroot. Cascades.

Comme vous vous en doutez, de la marche on en a fait. Et la récompense après tous ces efforts était 3 repas par jour dans une immense et belle salle à manger donnant vue sur la vallée ! Rien de tel qu'un grand bol de muesli au myrtilles pour démarrer ces matins frisquets, une tourte a la viande bien chaude pour le midi et une fine assiette de truite au beurre d'aneth pour le diner. Bien sûr, Terry et Anne ne pouvait pas finir leur soirées au coin du feu sans un bon dessert, alors pendant que l'un s'attaquait a la tarte glacée aux mures (spécialité régionale), l'autre s'est jetée sur le Sundae au caramel. Quant à moi, mes papilles se souviennent encore du Shenandoah White, vin blanc local qui se marie très bien avec la truite.

Mais 3 jours, la tête dans les nuages, ça a suffi à Terry, à qui la mer manquait déjà. Nous avons donc entame la descente vers l'est, et avons fait étape a Charlottesville pour la nuit. Habituellement je me renseigne un peu à l'avance sur nos escales, sauf dans le cas présent on nous avons improvise au dernier moment. Imaginez donc ma surprise quand en parcourant le « Guide de Bienvenue a Charlottesville » (vous savez, celui qui est toujours place en proéminence dans les chambres d'hôtel, juste à cote de la Bible !) on a découvert que cette ville universitaire fut votée en 2011 le meilleur endroit où il fait bon vivre par Sperling's Best Places ( jamais entendu parler, et vous ?) and No 2 pour y prendre sa retraite « jeune » d'après Money Magazine (« jeune retraite » à l'américaine ça veut dire 55 ans). Mais encore plus intéressant pour moi, c'est le statut de Capitale Mondiale des « Locavore » attribue par le fameux Forbes Magazine : locavore est un terme relativement nouveau, décrivant un mouvement prônant la consommation de nourriture produite dans un rayon assez réduit de son domicile. Avec des dizaines de restaurants locaux offrant une expérience « de la ferme à la table », c'est une information que j'aurais bien aimé avoir en main AVANT notre diner plutôt banal a Chili's (chaine de restaurant tex-mex). Dommage, mais ce sera pour la prochaine fois. Entre temps, après avoir lu que la région est riche en histoire avec Monticello, demeure de Thomas Jefferson et son Université de Virginie, Ash Lawn-Highland, domaine de James Monroe et la propriété de James Madison, Montpelier ; j'ai essayé de convaincre Terry et Anne de visiter au moins un de ces sites. Malheureusement, ni l'un ni l'autre n'était intéressés par ces résidences présidentielles, déclarant qu'ils en avaient vu assez ces derniers mois, et voulaient passer à autre chose.

Nous voilà donc en route pour les Outer Banks en Caroline du Nord, 600 kilomètres plus loin. La chaleur des feuillages d'automne dans le Piedmont a été remplacée progressivement par des champs a n'en plus finir de coton, potirons et patates douces. Au lieu des intenses cieux bleus de Virginie, le temps a tourné au gris, avec un plafond de nuages moroses égayé uniquement par les dunes de sable en approchant la cote. Le bord de mer nous a toujours remonte le moral, mais pas cette fois. La plupart des touristes sont partis, les commerces se préparent à fermer pour l'hiver : tout est brade à moitié prix, les hôtels sont à peine occupes, les restaurants très calmes. La gastronomie locale n'est guère inspirante (pourquoi servent-ils tant de fritures ? Impossible de commander un simple poisson grille !) Et l'océan d'une étrange froideur. Je suis sure que cette station balnéaire est magnifique en été (toutes les brochures le disent) mais cette semaine, c'est vraiment trop triste et désolé. Alors, pourquoi sommes-nous la ? C'est le choix de Terry figurez-vous, pour 2 raisons : Cape Hatteras et le monument érigé en l'honneur des frères Wright.

Quand on a croise Cape Hatteras lors de notre dernière navigation, nous avons garde nos distances. Commençant par Cape Fear et Cape Lookout plus au sud, les Outer Banks (iles-barrières de sable sans aucun récif, rochers ou haut fond sur lequel s'accrocher) bougent si souvent que dans le milieu nautique ces bancs de sables sont notoirement reconnus comme « le cimetière de l'Atlantique ». Etant à terre, on en profite pour inspecter « la bête », constituée de 120 kilomètres de plages (plus ou moins) sauvages et un phare en briques (le plus haut du pays !) aux rayures noires et blanches dignes de celle que l'on pourrait trouver sur une friandise. Considérées comme parmi les plus belles plages du pays, je dois avouer qu'au lieu de m'y sentir en admiration et en paix, j'étais plutôt prise d'un sentiment d'appréhension. Ca a du être l'effet ciel gris !

Heureusement qu'il y avait le monument en l'honneur des frères Wright a Kitty Hawk pour nous remonter le moral. Toute personne qui s'intéresse à l'aéronautique connait Orville et Wilbur Wright, les inventeurs du premier avion autopropulsé. Je pensais en avoir appris assez au Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace à Washington DC (ou leur machine est exposée), mais c'est une toute autre chose de découvrir l'endroit même où cet exploit s'est déroulé : le fait d'être à Kill Devil Hill et courir les 852 pieds (258 mètres), la distance parcourue pour la 4eme et dernière fois par l'appareil des frères, vous fait réaliser les énormes progrès faits en aviation. Nous voilà 110 années plus tard, des hommes sont partis sur la lune, d'autres tournent en orbite autour de la terre, des millions prennent l'avion tous les jours, et maintenant Richard Branson est prêt à emmener des touristes dans l'espace....et tout a commencé ici, sur cette dune de sable, fouettée par le vent et isolée de tous. Incroyable !

Continuant notre périple le long de la côte nord de la Virginie et la rive est du Maryland, le point fort a sans doute été la traversée du Pont-Tunnel de Chesapeake Bay : considéré le plus grand complexe de ce type dans le monde, il a été construit dans les années 1960 et consiste en 20 kilomètres de routes sur tréteaux, 2 tunnels d'un mile chacun, 2 ponts, quatre iles artificielles, près de 3 kilomètres de chaussées et 9 kilomètres de routes d'approches. Joignant la région fortement peuplée de Virginia Beach côte sud à la plus rurale Eastern Shore côte nord, l'installation traverse l'embouchure de la baie de Chesapeake pendant près de 29 kilomètres. Lorsque nous y avons navigue en Juin, je me rappelle être passes par le chenal nord de Chesapeake, qui s'avère passer au- dessus du tunnel qui relie les iles numéros 3 et 4, et m'étonner de ne pas pouvoir discerner les rives. Maintenant je sais pourquoi. Le paysage de l'Eastern Shore est très pittoresque, mais il faudrait plus d'une journée en voiture pour apprécier les marais, les rivières, les oiseaux migrateurs, et autres ...Malheureusement, un jour, c'est tout ce qu'on avait car il nous fallait rejoindre Annapolis pour retrouver l'équipe de Lagoon, venue de France pour participer au Salon Nautique.

Nous avons passé le reste de notre « permission à terre » à Annapolis, et vous trouverez les détails ICI, avec une brève escapade à Washington DC pour aller chercher Marc, de retour d'Australie. Le peu de temps dont nous disposions ne nous a permis qu'une ballade dans le quartier branche de Dupont Circle (occupe par beaucoup d'ambassades également), et un dernier tour en face de la Maison Blanche. A part moi, personne n'était d'humeur pour une visite dans les musées (aussi brève soit elle), mais on s'est tous mis d'accord pour un ultime brunch au Mitsima Cafe, au musee des American Indian, afin que Terry puisse gouter au chili de buffalo et le pain beignet dont Marc n'arrête pas de parler. Certains disent qu'il ne faut jamais revenir à une destination qu'on a appréciée la première fois, au risque d'être déçu. Déçu est un bien grand mot, mais je dois dire que visiter Washington DC en voiture et à l'hôtel était très diffèrent de notre séjour en Juillet sur le bateau. C'était bien plus facile sur l'eau. Ceci dit, la ville reste une de nos favorites et on est tous prêts à y revenir à la première occasion (bien qu'a moins d'être un touriste, la seule option est de bosser pour le gouvernement, ce qui n'est pas demain la veille !!)
Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011