Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Cuba, Part 3 - A day in Havana

28 August 2013 | Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Voahangy
Cuba, La Havana, Jan 8, 2013

Are you ready for a day trip in La Havana? Let's go.

Armando picked us up from the marina around 9am and we proceeded to head east thru the neighbourhoods known as Playa and Miramar. This is a fairly prestigious area, where the old pre-revolution mansions now house foreign embassies, business travellers come in to attend conventions, and several specialised medical institutes are located. It reminded us of Florida, with a mix of (once) luxurious residences and more modest motel-style dwellings. Yet behind the broad avenues lined with exotic trees, some of the more proletarian housing schemes are visible, a reminder that Florida though only 90 miles further north, may as well be 5000 miles away!.

To call the architecture style eclectic is an understatement. Armando described it best: Spanish influence in the Old Town, American art deco along 5th Avenue, and plain Soviet ugliness in other places. Nothing could have prepared us for the latter: starting with the Russian embassy, an unmistakable 15-story abomination that looks like a giant robot made out of Lego blocks! We drove along the Malecon, Havana's main esplanade, and considered the "most soulful and quintessentially Cuban thoroughfare" according to our guide book. I honestly didn't know what to think: traffic while not dense, was a messy dance of 1950's Buicks, late model Kias, belching Chinese buses and roaring taxis. The waterfront is a mishmash of austere Soviet-era concrete apartment blocks, more modern but equally ugly glass-and-steel high-rise buildings (including the US interest Section with its high security fence around it) and whatever magnificent buildings are left. These faced so much decrepitude, demolition or irrevocable damage that they've been given special status by the city in a restoring effort.

Armando must have seen the look on our face, and assured us that Havana Vieja (Downtown) was better. And he was right. He walked us thru the main streets, pointing to landmarks worth visiting, sketching a rough itinerary as we arranged to wander around by ourselves and be picked up later in the afternoon.

I'll be the first to admit, Old Havana is a must to see. The area is small (4 square miles) but packs in lots of sights and architectural treasures, going back to the 16th century. I read that the Old Town alone contains over 900 buildings of historical importance, but with only a few hours available, our Lonely Planet guide on hand, we decided to walk around the 4 main squares: Plaza de las Armas, Plaza Vieja, Plaza de San Francisco de Asis and Plaza de la Cathedral. Narrow cobbled streets link these squares, all within strolling distance. And strolling is what we did, this is not a town to visit in a hurry (even if time short, like us). We were surrounded with gems of Spanish colonial architecture, much unfortunately crumbling away but some buildings have been restored to their former glory thanks to the ongoing effort of the City Historian's Office. Mostly funded by UNESCO, the historical district is undergoing a massive rehabilitation program which on the positive side allows visitors to admire some of the finest urban edifices in the Caribbean's, but on the negative side means that parts of the city are cordoned off as construction sites noisy with jackhammers making ready for piles of new cobbles! Still, it is undeniably charming with flowering balconies, gorgeous colonial facades behind which hide art shops, restaurants, museums,...

Talking about museums, since we could only visit one, we had a coin toss. I was going for the Museo de la Revolucion but the others won and we ended up at the Museo de Navegacion, which is housed in the oldest existing fort in the Americas and overlooks Plaza de Armas and the Bay of Havana. It was all about the history of the Old Town, gold coins and the connections with the Spanish Empire, but what we'll remember most is our encounter with the museum attendant who befriended us and took our photo expecting a tip in return. We gave her one, but then she wanted to change 10 euros she obviously had been given as a tip, for CUC. That annoyed me: why don't tourists give local currencies in the first place, surely the locals have other things to do than run to the bank and change money!! Anyway, we all agreed to no more favours after that.

Lunch was at El Patio: a real tourist place, where big groups of European and Canadian tourists eat, herded in by guides on commission. The food was OK, but expensive (CUC113 for the 4 of us, no kids' meal) and definitely NOT what locals would eat. First, they can't afford the meat and cheese; second, the congri (rice and beans) presentation was way too fancy. I would have been happier to find somewhere more "authentic" but we were lured by the stunning setting, in the Plaza de la Catedral, and ended up lingering for ages, watching street theatre at its best: cigar smoking habaneros laughing their heads off, young couples breaking into a spontaneous dance while a local band played on!

The rest of the afternoon was spent venturing along the harbour, sampling coffee here, sipping mojito there, and wandering thru more old streets towards Centro Havana and the Capitol. That was an eye opener: vintage cars with loud engines, thick diesel fumes, smelly drains, buildings being restored, narrow streets. As we left the UNESCO's funded area, it got worse: pot holes everywhere (mental note: watch where you walk, no wonder travel insurance is compulsory), abandoned scaffolding taken over by vines and trees, less tourists and more locals, and yet more mildewed buildings. Ok, I realise I am going on about the buildings, but the frustration was becoming overwhelming. Splendour is everywhere, it's obvious. In the culture, the architecture. It's just buried under years of poverty and neglect. It broke our heart to see the Capitolio Nacional, once Havana's most grandiose building, and similar to the US Capitol Building in Washington DC, fallen in total disrepair, with its tall windows taped with wooden boards. It was closed for restoration at the time, so hopefully will be brought back to what it used to be. How what was obviously a glorious city before has been allowed to decline so much, is hard to comprehend to us, was close to depressing even ( and will take an entire post to try to make sense out of it). Yet, the streets are vibrant and bustling. Locals go about their own business seemingly happy, calling out to each other, playing chess, running for the bus,...ordinary city life!

The kids were real troopers, trying to take it all in: the museum was in Spanish, they were being approached constantly by hustlers (Marc has become very cold towards them, after striking a "friendly" conversation with a local and being asked for CUC5 or his watch "now that we're friends"!). We ended up having serious discussions about politics, socialism vs capitalism, the meaning of embargo, etc...realising that we don't have answers for everything. I wonder what they will retain of this visit when they return to Australia.

When Armando picked us up, he took us on a different route. First thru Centro Havana, a popular neighbourhood devoid of tourists, where it seems life has not changed much since 1959. The streets closer to the centre are lined with the now commonly run down baroque building, where people go about their lives on foot, tricycles, old cars, or in smoke spewing buses, laundry hangs out the windows, pirated DVDs are on offer on make shift racks ... As we drove along, we reached the Vedado Hill, where the University of Havana is located. Vedado is another congested area, not only with traffic, but also with Cuba's version of skyscrapers, mostly inspired by the art-deco buildings of Miami and New York. And indeed, as in Miramar earlier, there is a US feel here more than anywhere else in the Cuban capital, remnants of the pre-revolution times when this district was a playground for American mobsters, actors and gamblers. Armando pointed to the more notable buildings, each having its own story: Hotel Capri, Edificio Focas, Hotel Nacional, Hotel Habana Libre,...the latter still operate as expensive tourist joints by the government (which is the case for all hotels!) As we headed further away from downtown, the buildings shrank and most of what looked like 1950s mom- and- pop style motels in the morning, turned out to be theatres, nightclubs, paladeras (private restaurants) catering for the relatively wealthy neighbourhood of Miramar. Armando offered to drive us back there if we wanted a night out, but after the sensory overload of the day, all we wanted was some peace and quiet on the boat (in hindsight, given a day of rest, and knowing what to expect, it would have been fun to sample a bit of Havana's nightlife...Oh well, can't have it all!)

On a more positive note, the one thing we noticed is how safe the place is. Security is a big thing for us, and both at the marina and in town, we never felt intimidated. Annoyed, yes. But, threatened, no. The government's zero tolerance to drugs, according to Armando, means that narcotics are nowhere near a problem as in other countries. That's a relief. I wonder about alcoholism though, since every Cuban we saw seemed quite partial to either beer or rum (straight up).

So, here you have it: a day in Havana. Next on the list, is a few days filled with (hopefully) greenery, in the country side. Stay tuned!

Cuba, La Havane, 8 Janvier 2013

Prêts pour une journée à La Havane? C'est parti.

Armando est venu nous chercher à la Marina vers 9h et on s'est dirigés vers les banlieues de Playa et Miramar. Ce sont des quartiers assez huppes, ou les palaces de la période prérévolutionnaire abritent maintenant les ambassades étrangères, les hommes d'affaires viennent assister à des conférences, et où se trouvent également les instituts médicaux spécialisés. On se serait crus en Floride, avec ce mélange de résidences luxueuses et de bâtiments plus modestes dans le style motel. Sauf que au-delà des belles avenues bordées d'arbres exotiques, on peut discerner des lotissements nettement plus prolétaires ; nous rappelant que les 90 miles nautiques séparant Cuba de la Floride, pourraient tout autant être 5000 !

Le moins qu'on puisse dire c'est que le style architectural est éclectique. Armando nous l'a parfaitement décrit : Influence espagnole dans la vielle ville, américaine art déco le long de la 5eme avenue, et laideur soviétique partout ailleurs. C'est vrai qu'on ne s'attendait pas à la dernière : à commencer par l'ambassade russe, une horreur de 15 étages qu'on ne peut pas rater et qui ressemble à un robot géant fait de Legos ! On a continué le long du Malecon, le front de mer de La Havane, et considéré comme « la voie la plus typique et expressive dans tout Cuba » d'après mon guide de poche. Franchement, je ne savais pas quoi penser : même si le trafic routier n'était pas dense, il n'en restait pas moins chaotique avec des Buicks de 1950 côtoyant des Kias dernier modèle, elles-mêmes évitant les bus chinois qui crachaient leurs gaz d'échappement, sans compter les taxis vrombissant a tout allure. Le front de mer est un méli-mélo d'immeubles en béton remontant à l'austère période Soviétique, d'autres plus modernes mais tout aussi moches faits de verre et d'acier (dont la Section des Intérêts US qui en plus est ceinturée par une clôture de sécurité) et du peu qu'il reste des beaux édifices. Ce qui n'est pas beaucoup. Certains, menaces par la décrépitude, la destruction et des dégâts irréversibles, se sont vus attribues un statut spécial par la ville, dans un effort de restauration.

Armando a dû voir notre tête effarée, et nous a assuré que Havane Vieja (la Vieille Ville) était beaucoup mieux préservée. Et il avait bien raison. Il nous a promenés à travers les rues principales, indiquant les sites à visiter, nous traçant un itinéraire sommaire. Souhaitant nous balader par nous-mêmes dans la ville, nous avons convenus d'un point de rencontre pour plus tard dans l'après-midi.

Je dois bien l'avouer, la Vielle Ville de la Havane vaut le détour. Le quartier historique est limite à 6 kilomètres carres, mais regorge de sites et trésors architecturaux remontant au 16e siècle. J'ai lu quelque part que la Vieille Ville à elle seule comporte plus de 900 édifices historiques, mais ne disposant que de quelques heures, armes de notre guide Lonely Planet, nous avons décidé de nous concentrer sur les 4 places principales : Plaza de las Armas, Plaza Vieja, Plaza de San Francisco de Asis et Plaza de la Catedral. Elles sont toutes reliées par des petites rues plus ou moins mal pavées, propices à la flânerie. Flâner, c'est la meilleure chose à faire ici ; ce n'est pas une ville à parcourir en hâte (même quand on est à court de temps comme nous). Ce sont de véritables joyaux de l'architecture coloniale espagnole qui vous entourent, dont certains malheureusement tombent en ruine mais d'autres ont la chance d'être restores grâce aux efforts de l'Office Historique de la Ville. Finance en majorité par l'Unesco, le quartier historique est en train de subir un énorme programme de réhabilitation qui d'un cote permet aux visiteurs d'admirer certains des édifices urbains les plus beaux des Antilles, mais d'un autre transforme certains coins en chantiers qui résonnent au son des marteaux piqueurs, faisant place pour des piles de nouveaux paves ! Ça ne nous a pas empêché de tomber sous le charme des balcons fleuris, des superbes façades coloniales derrière lesquelles se trouvent prêtés à découvrir boutiques d'art, restaurants, musées...

Justement, en parlant de musee, puisqu'on n'avait le temps que pour une visite, le choix s'est fait à pile ou face. J'aurais aimé voir le Musee de la Révolution mais les autres ont gagné et on s'est retrouvés au Musee de la Navigation, qui se situe dans le plus vieux fort des Amériques et surplombe la Plaza de Armas et la baie de la Havane. Je vous passe l'histoire de la Vieille Ville, les pièces en or et la connexion avec l'empire d'Espagne. Notre visite restera mémorable pour la rencontre avec la gardienne qui nous a accoste et offert de prendre notre photo contre un pourboire. Nous lui en avons donné un, bien sûr, puis elle a demandé à ce qu'on lui échange 10 euros, donnes en pourboire par d'autres touristes, contre des CUC. Ça, ça m'a agace : les touristes ne peuvent-ils pas donner de la monnaie locale ? les cubains ont bien d'autres choses à faire que d'aller faire la queue au bureau de change ! Bref, ce fut une leçon : on ne rend plus service a personne à l'avenir, on sait quand ça commence mais jamais ou ça va finir....

Le déjeuner fut à El Patio : un nid plein de touristes, surtout des groupes de Canadiens et Européens menés par des guides payes à la commission. La table était convenable, mais cher (113CUC pour nous 4, sans menu enfant) et surtout loin de servir des plats régionaux. Non seulement le cubain moyen n'a pas les moyens de s'offrir du jambon et du fromage, mais la présentation du congri (riz et haricots), plat national, était beaucoup trop élaborée. J'aurais préféré un restaurant plus « authentique » mais on s'est laisses séduire par le cadre renversant, autour de la Plaza de la Catedral, et on a fini par passer des heures à regarder le monde passer, un vrai théâtre de rue : des fumeurs de cigares qui rient aux éclats, de jeunes couples se mettant à danser au son de l'orchestre du restaurant !

Nous avons passé le reste de l'après-midi à trainer le long du port, gouter un café ici, siroter un mojito la, déambuler dans d'autres vieilles rues vers Centro Havane et le Capitol. Quelle scène : des voitures d'époque aux moteurs rugissants, les fumées de pots d'échappement, les bouches d'égout qui sentent mauvais, des immeubles en plein travaux, les rues aussi étroites que des allées. C'était pire quand on s'est éloigné de la zone financée par l'UNESCO : des nids de poule partout (attention ou vous marchez, je comprends maintenant pourquoi une assurance voyage est nécessaire), les échafaudages abandonnes aux lianes et aux mauvaises herbes, moins de touristes, plus de cubains, et encore et toujours des immeubles moisis. Oui, je sais, je n'arrête pas de parler des bâtiments, mais c'est que ça devenait vraiment frustrant. La splendeur est partout, c'est évident. Que ce soit dans la culture ou l'architecture. C'est juste qu'elle a été laissée à l'abandon et enfouie sous des années de pauvreté. La vue du Capitolio Nacional nous a fendu le cœur. Un des édifices les plus grandioses de La Havane, et quasi similaire au Capitole de Washington DC, il est en piteux état, avec ses grandes fenêtres remplacées par des planches. A tel point qu'il était ferme pour restauration lors de notre visite, en espérant voir des jours meilleurs...On a eu beaucoup de mal à comprendre comment une ville au passe si glorieux a pu connaitre un tel déclin. C'en était presque déprimant (et fera l'objet de tout un billet pour tenter de mettre un sens à tout ça). Et pourtant les rues sont pleines de vie et grouillent de monde. Les gens vaquent à leurs occupations, semblant être heureux, ils s'interpellent, jouent aux échecs en plein air, courent après leur bus,...une vie de citadins quoi !

Les enfants, en bons petits soldats, ont essayé de tout assimiler du mieux qu'ils ont pu : non seulement le musee était en espagnol, mais ils se sont fait constamment harcelés par des arnaqueurs (Marc fait d'ailleurs preuve d'une certaine froideur a leurs égard maintenant, après avoir entamé une conversation amicale avec un cubain et s'être fait demande de faire don de 5CUC ou sa montre, en gage d'amitié !) Ca a généré de sérieuses discussions sur le thème de la politique, capitalisme contre socialisme (ou communisme), la signification de l'embargo,...et la réalisation que l'on n'a pas réponse a tout. C'est à se demander ce qu'ils retiendront de cette visite, une fois rentres en Australie.

Une fois récupérés par Armando, nous avons pris une route différente. A commencer par Centro Havane, un quartier populaire, pas touristique du tout et ou la vie n'a pas l'air d'avoir changée depuis 1959. Les rues sont bordées de bâtiments de style baroque (délabrés cependant), ou les gens se croisent a pieds, en tricycle, dans leurs anciennes voitures ou des bus, le linge pends a l'extérieur des fenêtres, des DVD pirates sont en offre sur des rayons fait maison...Puis, un peu plus loin, nous avons atteint la colline de Vedado, ou se situe l'Université de la Havane. Vedado est un autre quartier non seulement embouteille, mais aussi bourre de gratte ciels version cubaine, inspire par les édifices art déco de Miami et New York. Et tout comme à Miramar plus tôt, on se serait senti presque comme aux US, tellement il reste des vestiges du temps ou ce quartier était le fief des mafieux américains, des acteurs et des joueurs. Armando nous a indiqué les bâtiments les plus notoires, chacun ayant sa propre histoire : Hôtel Capri, Edificio Focas, Hôtel Nacional, Hôtel Habana Libre...ces deux derniers étant de nos jours des hôtels de luxe gérés par le gouvernement (comme tous les hôtels d'ailleurs). Plus on s'éloigne du centre, plus les bâtiments sont petits et la plupart de ceux qui ressemblaient a des motels ce matin se sont avérés être des cinémas, des clubs, des paladeras (restaurants prives) s'adressant à la clientèle aisée de Miramar. Armando nous a proposé de nous ramener ici si on voulait passer une bonne soirée, mais après la surcharge sensorielle de la journée, tout ce qu' ; on souhaitait c'était être au calme sur le bateau (avec le recul, un jour de repos et sachant a quoi s'attendre, ça aurait été amusant de faire « Havane by night »...bon, on ne peut pas tout avoir !)

Finissons sur une note positive, La Havane est une ville sure. C'est toujours un critère important pour nous, et que ce soit en ville ou à la marina, nous ne nous sommes jamais sentis intimides. Enerves et agaces, oui. Menaces, non. Le gouvernement n'ayant aucune tolérance pour les trafiquants de drogue, selon Armando, fait que les problèmes de narcotiques sont bien moindres que dans d'autres pays (c'est la ligne officielle en tous cas). On est soulages donc. Pas si surs pour l'alcoolisme par contre, vu que les cubains semblent avoir une faiblesse pour la bière et le rhum (cul sec !)

Et voilà : La Havane en une journée. Prochaine excursion : la campagne et quelques jours au vert. Alors a bientôt !
Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011