Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Cuba, Part 4 - Touring the countryside

12 September 2013 | Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Voahangy
Cuba, Jan 9-12, 2013

Leaving the boat and La Havana behind, we're off touring the country side for a few days.

We started with a day trip to Vinales, in the western province of Pinar del Rio: the first couple of hours down the Autopista were pretty uneventful, driving thru flat plains and dusty farmland (with no crops in sight I must add). Then, one turn off thru the hills, and we reached the area of Pinar del Rio, blessed with fertile land, perfect for growing tobacco. And indeed, Pinar del Rio is Cuba's tobacco capital, the area covered with red oxen ploughed fields, rustic drying huts, guajiros (old men wearing sombreros) sitting on the side of the road, puffing cigars.... We briefly stopped at La Casa del Veguero, a small tobacco plantation with a fully operating drying house, where we learned the basics of tobacco drying and maturing. I won't go thru the whole lecture, but at the end of the talk, a master roller sat at a wooden table, with a pile of already selected leaves, positioning, binding and pressing them in a mould. He then hand finished the cigar by adding a wrapping leaf and a head. The end result was a bit rough, undoubtedly more for show than the real thing (we were told to visit a proper cigar factory in Pinar del Rio, but that would have meant mixing with more organised tours...not our cup of tea) Still, we all got the idea, the kids posed for pictures with a stick in their mouth (no smoking), we shared a laugh with the master roller and were on our way.

Then amongst tobacco fields appeared big craggy limestone cliffs (called mogotes) which make up the Parque Nacional Vinales. The valley is small, only 5km-by-11km, but absolutely beautiful (it was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site 15 years ago, even). As the story goes, millions of years ago, the whole region was hundreds of meter higher. Then during the Cretaceous period, underground rivers ate away at the bedrock, creating vast caverns. Eventually the roofs collapsed, and what is left is the walls we see today. Besides being of particular interest to geologists who call it a karst valley (check your encyclopedia for the word, it's too complicated for me to explain), the place attracts hikers, rock climbers and horse trekkers. Some of them we saw hanging out in Vinales main street, easy to spot with their backpacks and heavy boots. None of these adventures were for us though, as we headed for lunch to the Mural de la Prehistorica. Painted on the side of one of the highest mogotes (617m), this huge mural depicts dinosaurs, huge snails, sea monsters and humans supposed to symbolise the theory of evolution. A bit ghastly for my taste, but people are very proud of the fact that it took 5 years to complete with climbers rappelling down. Marc thought it was great and attempted to climb himself only to have the waiters at the restaurant below worrying about him and calling him back! Lunch was humongous with plates of tasty roast pork, rice and beans, salads, fresh fruits and flan. Served with the most delicious pina colada in the world (they mix the thick coconut cream and pineapple in a glass, then serve it with the whole bottle of rum on the side for you to add to taste!!! At 6CUC, it is out of this world and I will never have another one in Australia after that!)

A quick horse ride at the foot of the mural, a motorboat ride in the nearby Cueva del Indio, and we headed towards Las Terrazas. Located high up in the hills, in impossibly lush jungle, this is Cuba's first eco-village: it started as a reforestation project in the late 1960's, on the site of old coffee plantations, to become home to a community of artists and local farmers. A Unesco protected area, it is supposed to be teeming with birds, and a hiking paradise. All we saw was the eco-resort Hotel La Moka overlooking the man-made lake, a couple of joggers ("Must be American scientists" said Armando) and dozens of locals making their way home after a day's work, either on foot or patiently waiting for a bus.

Which brings me to what we observed all day long: so many people are waiting for transport on the side of the road, especially right on the highway!! There are dozens of them, seemingly coming out of nowhere, looking for a lift in a private car, a bus, the back of a horse-drawn cart, even on a push bike!!! Some have babies, luggage, chickens,...they could stand there for hours (and a lot of them do). It's heart breaking to think how much of someone 's life can be wasted, waiting. Armando's comment? Cuban people are used to it.

Next was an overnight trip to Cienfuegos, in the centre of the island : it was a long drive down the highway (again), stopping for a swim in the Bay of Pigs, which didn't look anywhere near as ominous as the Cold War's stories made it sound. Nowadays it is renowned for its dive sites and while we didn't scuba dive ourselves, we did snorkel off a black coral shelf. The water was blue and warm, the snorkelling OK, but we had to swim a fair way offshore to get away from the tons of tourists!

We loved Cienfuegos: the city feels French, which it should, considering it was founded by a French man and most of the architecture arks back to urban classic French with wide boulevards, colonnades, early 20th century palaces reminiscent of some of the Biarritz mansions (only run down)...Very quiet and clean (especially after La Havana), the waterfront was really pleasant with its marina that we know to be popular with cruisers, and its Yacht Club of another era where we stopped for a sunset drink. Just to soak up the ambiance.

Armando arranged for us to spend the night at casa particular Carlos y Anna Maria in the waterfront suburb of Punta Gorda. The two private rooms cost us a total of 60CUC plus an extra 10CUC per person for dinner, half the price of a government hotel room; but more than the money savings, we loved the opportunity to meet local people: the owners and their family (4 generations of ladies) greeted us in their living room, affording us a glimpse into their daily lives. Anne and I were allowed a peak in the kitchen and sharing recipes. Terry made good use of the self-serving fridge, full of icy cold beer (alas no wine) Away from the government prying eyes, Cubans are not shy about telling foreigners about business: owners have to pay a monthly tax per room to post a sign advertising their rooms and to serve meals. Now, get this: these taxes must be paid whether the rooms are rented or not! Understandably, bargaining for a room will not get you far. With the government breathing down their neck, and imposing stiff penalties for infractions, cheating is not easy for these would be entrepreneurs. But they soldier on, and that night, Carlos and Anna were the warmest and most impeccable hosts...She and daughter, Annette, cooked us a delicious meal (black bean soup, rice, grilled fish, pork, salads, coconut flan ), all served with a smile and the usual giggle at our poor Spanish. On departure the next morning, I left some cosmetics behind, and the look on Anna Maria's face was priceless, as any luxury items like moisturizer and shower gel costs a fortune here!

Trinidad followed on the third day: a one of a kind historic town, famous for its 17th century buildings, cobble stoned streets, art galleries, and music venues where I could have spent hours taking photographs. Only problem is, the town is so popular on the tourist circuit, by 10am busloads of overseas visitors started to arrive and crowd the otherwise picturesque alleys, attracting LOTS of jineteros ( hustlers) and beggars. We could only handle one hour of this, then had to leave and headed for Playa Ancon, a nice white sandy beach, with a bar in a perfect location. Except that being government-run, the service was very poor and took so long that we didn't stay beyond a beer and a Tu Kola ( the local version of Coke, since Cuba is one of the only two countries in the world where Coca-Cola is not sold. The other one is North Korea, did you know that?)

It was a long drive on the highway, we arrived back in La Havana in the early evening, tired but happy to have seen so much of Cuba. According to Armando, this was the industrious side (really!). Apparently, the further east you go, the more neglected it goes, roads are not as good, towns have been damaged by hurricanes, people are more laid back. Read, they are more into having fun, and not as hard working. We heard some cruisers describe the eastern region as more "atmospheric". Looking at the poverty all around, it seems everyone in Cuba has been dealt a bad hand in life. What they make out of it though, is another thing. Some choose to work around it, others choose to dance around it.

Cuba, 9-12 janvier 2013

Quittons le bateau et La Havane et partons à la campagne pour quelques jours.

A commencer par une journée à Vinales, dans la province occidentale de Pinar del Rio : les 2 premières heures le long de l'Autopista était plutôt monotones, a voir défiler des plaines sans relief et des terres poussiéreuses (sans récoltes !). Et puis, après un tournant à travers les collines, nous avons atteint la région de Pinar del Rio, dotée d'une terre fertile, idéale pour la culture du tabac. Et de fait, Pinard el Rio est la capitale cubaine du tabac, avec ses champs couleur rouille laboures par des bœufs, ses granges de séchage rustiques, ses guajiros (ces vieux coiffes d'un sombrero) assis en bord de route, mâchant leur cigares...Nous avons fait une halte rapide à la Casa del Veguero, une modeste plantation de tabac qui nous a ouvert sa grange de séchage, et donne une leçon de base sur la récolte du tabac : le séchage, la fermentation,...je vous passe les détails, en mentionnant simplement qu'à la fin nous avons eu droit à une démonstration par un « maitre rouleur » : assis à un établi en bois et muni de feuilles présélectionnées, il a procédé a leur positionnement, les a enroulées en spirale et pressées dans un moule. Puis il les a habillées d'une grande feuille et une coiffe. Le produit fini était un peu grossier, plus pour la démo qu'un véritable spécimen (on nous avait conseillé de visiter une authentique manufacture de cigare a Pinar del Rio, mais ça aurait nécessité qu'on se joigne à d'autres groupes organises, ce qu'on ne souhaitait pas faire). Bref, on a tous appris quelque chose, les enfants ont posé pour des photos (sans fumer !), quelques blagues (traduites) avec le maitre rouleur et on a repris notre chemin.

Et là, en plein milieu des champs de tabac, sont apparues des falaises de calcaire (appelées mogotes) partie intégrantes du Parque Nacional Vinales. La vallée est étroite, seulement 55 km2, mais d'une beauté (ce n'est pas pour rien qu'elle a été déclarée Site Mondiale de l'Unesco il y a 15 ans) ! Selon l'histoire, il y a des millions d'années, toute la région était plus élevée de plusieurs centaines de mètres. Puis pendant la période du Crétacée, des rivières souterraines ont commencé à ronger les soubassements des roches, créant de vastes cavernes. Finalement les plafonds se sont écroulés et tout ce qu'il reste sont les murs que l'on peut voir aujourd'hui. A part l'intérêt que lui portent les géologues qui l'ont déclarée un parfait exemple de vallée karstique (regardez dans le dictionnaire, c'est trop complique à expliquer !), la région attire des randonneurs, des amateurs d'escalade et de promenade à cheval. Nous en avons croisé quelques-uns dans la rue principale de Vinales, facilement reconnaissables par leurs sacs à dos et leurs bottes bien usées. Plutôt que de partir dans de telles aventures, nous nous sommes rendus au Mural de la Prehistorica pour déjeuner. Peinte sur le cote d'un des mogotes les plus hauts (617m), cet énorme fresque représente des dinosaures, des escargots, des monstres marins et des hommes censés symboliser la théorie de l'évolution. Affreux à mon gout, mais les gens ici sont très fiers du fait qu'il ait fallu 5 ans pour finir la peinture, grâce à l'aide de varappeurs faisant du rappel. Marc a adore et a même tente d'escalader le mur, jusqu'à ce que les serveurs du restau commencent à s'inquiéter et l'on rappelé à l'ordre ! Le déjeuner était gigantesque, contenant des assiettes entières de porc rôti, riz, haricots noirs, salades, fruits frais et flan coco. Tout ça délicieux et servi avec le meilleur Pina Colada dans le monde (ils mélangent la crème de coconut et le jus d'ananas dans un verre, qu'ils vous présentent ensuite accompagne d'une bouteille entière de rhum à ajouter à volonté ! pour 6CUC, c'était un délice et jamais je n'en recommanderais en Australie après avoir goute la version cubaine !)

Une brève randonnée a cheval pour Anne au pied de la fresque, une balade en bateau dans la caverne Cueva del Indio, et nous avons fait cap sur Las Terrazas. Situe tout en haut dans les collines et au beau milieu d'une jungle luxuriante, c'est le premier village écolo de Cuba : ça a commencé dans les années 60 par un projet de reforestation sur le site d'une ancienne plantation de café, et fini par attirer toute une communauté d'artistes et de fermiers locaux. Sous la protection de l'UNESCO, cette région est réputée pour ses oiseaux, ses cascades et parcours de randonnée. Tout ce qu'on a vu cependant c'est l'hôtel La Moka qui surplombe un lac artificiel, quelques coureurs (« surement des américains » a dit Armando) et des dizaines de cubains rentrant chez eux après le travail, certains à pieds d'autres attendant un bus patiemment.

Ce qui m'amène à commenter sur ce qu'on a observé toute la journée : il y a tant de gens en attente de transport sur le bord de la route, particulièrement sur l'autoroute. Des dizaines de personnes, on ne sait pas d'où elles sortent, mais toutes prêtes à monter dans n'importe quelle voiture, un bus, une charrette a bœufs, ou même un vélo ! Certains ont des bébés avec eux, des valises, des poulets... ils peuvent rester sur le bas cote pendant des heures ! C'est quand même dérangeant de penser qu'on puisse gâcher sa vie ainsi, à attendre. Réponse d'Armando ? Les cubains ont l'habitude.

Etape suivante : une nuit à Cienfuegos, au centre de l'ile. C'est reparti pour de longues heures sur l'autoroute, ou on croise des fermiers du coin étalant du riz (ou du blé, pas sure) sur la chaussée pour sécher. Escale baignade dans la Baie des Cochons, qui avait l'air moins menaçante que dans les histoires de la guerre froide. De nos jours, sa réputation repose sur ses sites de plongée, et même si nous n'avons pas plonge ce jour-là on a quand même fait du snorkelling depuis un plateau de corail noir. L'eau était bleue et agréable, le snorkelling correct, par contre il a fallu nager à une certaine distance du rivage pour échapper à la multitude de touristes !

Nous avons adore Cienfuegos : la ville a une atmosphère très française, et pour cause, elle a été fondée par un Mr Louis D'Clouet et la plupart de l'architecture urbaine s'est inspirée du modèle français classique à savoir de grands boulevards, des colonnes, des palaces datant du début du 20e siècle nous rappelant certaines demeures de Biarritz ( version dilapidée...) Très calme et très propre (surtout après La Havane), le front de mer est particulièrement sympa pour se balader, avec la marina, très prisée des navigateurs pour son emplacement protégé, et son yacht club d'une autre époque ou on s'est arrêté pour un apéro. Juste pour le plaisir.

Armando nous avait réservé des chambres dans la casa particular Carlos y Anna Maria, une maison particulière en bord de mer dans le quartier de Punta Gorda. Pour un cout de 60CUC plus 10CUC par personne pour le dîner, ces chambres d'hôtes étaient moitié moins chères que les chambres d'hôtel traditionnelles gérées par le gouvernement. Mais plus que les économies, on a beaucoup apprécié l'occasion de rencontrer les gens du coin : les propriétaires et leur famille (dont 4 générations de femmes) nous ont accueillis à bras ouverts, offert le tour de leur maison en parlant de leur vie quotidienne. Anne et moi furent invitées dans la cuisine et j'en suis ressortie avec quelques recettes...Quant à Terry, il a fait bon usage du réfrigérateur et son stock de bières fraiches (hélas, pas de vin !) A l'abri des regards indiscrets du gouvernement, les Cubains n'hésitent pas à se confier aux étrangers, révélant les règles de leur business : notre propriétaire doit payer une taxe mensuelle de 300CUC par chambre d'hôte (le montant varie selon la taille de la maison, le quartier, les services rendus, etc...) pour pouvoir afficher un panneau offrant des chambres à louer et repas fournis. Le pire c'est que cette taxe doit être payée, que la chambre soit louée ou non ! On comprend donc que marchander ne sert pas à grand-chose. Avec des inspecteurs perpétuellement sur leur dos, prêts à leur coller des amendes pour la moindre infraction, ce n'est pas facile de tricher pour ces entrepreneurs. Mais ils s'accrochent quand même, et ce soir-là, Carlos et Anna furent les plus charmants et chaleureux des hôtes. Aidée de sa fille Annette (qui parle anglais et français couramment), elle nous a mitonne un excellent diner (soupe de haricots noirs, riz, poisson grille, rôti de porc, salade et flan coco), servi dans la bonne humeur et fous rires habituels a l'écoute de notre mauvais espagnol. Avant notre départ le lendemain, je leur ai laissées quelques produits de beauté, ce qui m'a value une touchante réaction de la part d'Anna Maria, pour qui les savons et crèmes hydratantes sont des produits de luxe qui valent une fortune ici !

Dernière étape : Trinidad. Une ville unique, réputée pour ses édifices remontant au 17e siècle, ses anciennes rues pavées, ses charrettes tirées a dos d'âne, ses galeries d'art, et bars/restaurants ou se produisent les troubadours locaux...J'aurais pu y passer toute une journée à prendre des photos. Le seul problème c'est que la ville, classée a l'UNESCO, est un passage oblige sur le circuit touristique, donc à 10h ce sont des cars entiers qui débarquent et envahissent les rue autrement pittoresques, attirant BEAUCOUP de « jineteros » (arnaqueurs) et de mendiants. Au bout d'une heure, on n'en pouvait plus, tout ce qu'on voulait c'était partir direction Playa Ancon, une belle plage de sable blanc, avec un bar accueillant les pieds dans l'eau. Sauf que, géré par des fonctionnaires, le service était tellement lent et désinvolte qu'on ne s'y est attardes que pour une bière et un Tu Kola (la version locale du Coca-Cola, vu que Cuba est un des 2 pays dans le monde ou la vente de Coca-Cola est interdite. L'autre pays est la Corée du Nord, vous saviez ça ?)

La route du retour fut longue sur l'autoroute, on n'est arrivés à La Havane qu'en début de soirée, fatigues, mais contents d'avoir pu voir un autres aspect de Cuba. D'après Armando, nous sommes dans la région « productive » du pays ! Plus à l'est, tout tombe en ruines, les routes sont mauvaises, les villes endommagées par les cyclones sont laissées à l'abandon, faute de moyens et de volonté, les gens sont plus décontractés...Ce qu'il voulait dire, c'est qu'ils préfèrent s'amuser plutôt que de travailler. Des amis plaisanciers nous ont dit trouver que la région orientale a plus d'ambiance. Il faudrait aller vérifier nous-mêmes. Quoique, à voir la pauvreté autour de nous, on peut dire que tout le monde a la vie dure à Cuba. Comment améliorer son lot ? Chacun sa façon. Certains bossent pour s'en sortir. D'autres préfèrent danser.
Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011