Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

A weekend in Belize

02 March 2014 | Cartagena, Colombia
Voahangy
Here is a story from last year, one of many in the archives. I hope you enjoy the read as much as I enjoyed looking back.

Belize, June 15-17, 2013

How does a trip to tropical Belize sound for (American and French) Father's Day?

Actually, the main reason for this week end was that we needed to renew our Mexican tourist cards (visa), as they are only valid for 6 months. We had to leave the country, if only for 24 hours. We thought of flying to the US for a shopping holiday, or maybe to visit friends in the Eastern Caribbean's, but that was too expensive and the hurricane season already started, we could only afford to leave the boat for 3 days. So, Belize made sense: the border with Mexico is only 4 hours' drive, we could take the water taxi to San Pedro on Ambergris Cay, have a day or two of fun in the sun, fly back to Corozal, on the main land, and take beautiful lagoon pictures from the air, before being driven back across the border to pick up our car. What could possibly go wrong with this plan? A quick look at the weather forecast before we left and Terry declared there was nothing "out there". We were good to go.

We hadn't even passed the main gate that the stress started. We went to pick up some cash at the local ATM and none of the credit cards pin numbers would work. It turns out that our Australian bank had decided to re-issue new pins, some we had requested earlier in the week, and some we didn't. I won't get into why, that's not the point of the story, but let's say that trying to reach anyone in Australia on a Saturday to solve that kind of issue is impossible. Even more so when we had 5 hours to catch a water taxi in the Mexican border town of Chetumal. Big dilemma was to either take our chances and venture across the border with the little cash we had and hoping we'd be able to charge most things to the credit cards, OR play it safe and cancel the trip altogether, forfeiting the deposits I had already paid. The thought of losing hundreds of dollars in prepaid accommodation and transfers made me mad, so in the end, we decided to wing it and go.

The drive down was uneventful, meaning all went well: we found the long term parking lot easily, which at the rate of 30 pesos a day (less than $3 per day) was less than I budgeted; the water taxi had our online reservations on record...all was sweet. The immigration formalities had me worried at first though: every foreigner entering Mexico for a period of 7 days or more must pay 295 pesos ($25). It can be paid when you leave the country, but in our case we were asked to pay when we first cleared in in January on the boat. Only problem is that I forgot to bring the receipts with us, so without proof of payment the Chetumal officials started to line me up for $100 of exit fees. I must have worn my dumbest/sorriest/cutest look (please cross whatever you think is applicable) trying to explain myself in Spanglish, because the lady at the desk eventually suggested I sign an affidavit stating why I should not pay. This, I promptly scribbled at the back of photocopies of our passports (which I luckily had brought along), shook the officials hands and disappeared out on the wharf before they could change their minds!

Boarding was interesting. As an international departure, we were all made to line up on the dock, with our luggage in front of us, while the Mexican border patrol had their sniffer dog looking for ???. Don't think it found any drugs, but was very partial to a bag of tacos! And we were off across the Bay of Chetumal. 2 hours later, we docked at the San Pedro's dock, which had the Guatemala flag flying. Explanation from the Belize immigration officer: there was a tri-country boxing match the night before between Belize, Guatemala and Mexico. It was agreed that the dockmaster would fly the flag of whichever nation won the match. Guatemala did, so out of respect, their flag will fly on Belize soil for a month (until the next match!)

We booked in at the Caribbean Villa Hotel, which is about 15mn golf cart ride away from downtown San Pedro. Everything about it was great: the beachfront location, the room ( a kind of fully self-contained loft that could sleep 7 of us!), the pool, the complimentary rum cocktail at the bar...only thing is, that they don't do dinner, so we hopped onto the golf cart looking for somewhere to eat. It turns out there wasn't much of a choice nearby the hotel, the only decent restaurant was full with tourists queuing for a lobster dinner ( lobster season just started!). We didn't feel like heading back into town in the dark, so we ended up having pizzas in some garden-style joint, called Pepperoni's, it was actually very nice, with no tourists and 100% locals.

Next morning, we took it easy: after a breakfast of fried pastries on the terrace, we left on the golf cart for a tour of the island. Ambergris Cay felt nothing like Mexico. Previously known as British Honduras, Belize only became an independent country in 1981. With English as the official language, the local population is a mix of mestizos (Maya & Spanish descent), creoles (English & African descent), garifunas (Caribs deported from St Vincent descent), Chinese, east Indians and the odd English person who elected to stay back rather than go back to the motherland (who can blame them). It reminded us of the Eastern Caribbean's with its laid back atmosphere and island music. As we drove thru the colourful streets of San Pedro town, we were approached by a couple of local guys on the prowl, acting for a tour company. After a friendly chat, they managed to sign us up for a snorkelling trip to the Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley, 4 miles out. We paid our $100 deposit and agreed to be picked up at the hotel wharf the next morning. The islanders were setting up giant speakers and a stage on the waterfront for their Father's Day celebrations, we were invited to join in later that afternoon, but as clouds unexpectedly started to roll in from the south, we decided to head back to the hotel. It turned out to be the best move. As the weather switched from warm and sunny to breezy and cool, we relaxed with a tasty Belizean lunch of lobsters, BBQ ribs, rice and beans and rum cocktails!

Sunday came and our grand plans to spend the day snorkelling on the reef were shattered with the arrival overnight of a tropical depression bringing in torrential rain and gale force winds. It forced us to stay at the hotel for the whole day. Our captain was duly stressed, as he followed the storm path on the national hurricane center website (thank god for WIFI). Generating from an area east of Honduras, it had moved northwest towards Belize and we worried that it would go further north and hit the Riviera Maya. With our boat unattended, and no way for us to get to it, I don't need to tell you how anxious Terry was. Luckily, we had friends in Puerto Aventuras who kept an eye on it and assured us the weather was great there. So, with the situation totally out of our control and the forfeiting of our $100 deposit, there was not much else to do but spend the day at the beach bar enjoying a Sunday BBQ and sipping cocktails, again, while it rained cat and dogs for hours!

Managers, Graham and Ruth, are very generous hosts and ensured that we would not forget our single day in Belize. Sailors themselves, they had their own catamaran to secure and knew only too well how concerned we were. For indeed, in spite of the copious libations and cheers, we worried so much about the boat ( Terry vowing never to be stuck on an island again!) that we ended up bringing forward our flight home the next day. Not that it helped a lot: we thought we'd fly out early in the morning instead of the afternoon, but the storm was so bad that all flights were delayed by 3 hours, so we ended up leaving at noon anyway. Gone was that other grand plan of captivating gorgeous aerial photographs of the reef and Chetumal Bay, as we took off in gunmetal grey and dull skies and landed in a real soup of clouds. Terry will tell you it was a very long and noisy 20mn flight in a 14-seater Cessna Caravan (a single turbine engine plane, horrible little things, he said!), and seeing how everyone selected their seats revealed a lot of our state of mind: I chose to go as far forward to take photos, the kids each picked a window, and Terry was probably the only person mindful of weight distribution and sat in the middle of the plane. Obviously we made it arriving in Corozal, mainland Belize.

Why not fly back direct to Chetumal, where our car was? That is a little tricky. While you can take the "international" water taxi from Chetumal (Mexico) to San Pedro (Belize), there is no way to fly from San Pedro to Chetumal (you can fly from San Pedro to Cancun though!). So our only flying alternative was to land in Corozal, 15 miles from the Mexican border and have a driver take us back across to Chetumal to collect our car. It sounds complicated, but really it was easy: several locals offer transfer services from Belize to Mexico, I found Henry of Belize VIP Transfer Services on the internet, who not only waited for us for 3 hours in torrential rain as our flight was delayed, but drove us back, waiting as we completed immigration and customs formalities and delivered us right where we started 3 days prior. It was $40 well spent in my books, especially after having heard stories of solo travellers either being left behind by buses or encountering corrupt officials.

So, all is well that ends well, weather excepted, it was a successful trip: we have new tourist cards, good for another 6 months; the boat was never in any danger, as the tropical depression eventually made landfall in Veracruz (way further to the west); and the very little of Belize we saw was nice enough to make us want to go back. On the boat though. And for the credit cards, the bank came good after a few phone calls...we're back in business!

Update - February 2014

Unfortunately we never made it back to Belize, on the boat or otherwise. Initially on the cruising itinerary, we had allowed a couple of months to sail inside the Barrier Reef and down to Honduras Bay of Islands. But that was providing we left Mid-December, to make the most of the $650 clearance fee, allow plenty of time for weather, and the dreaded sail to windward along the Honduras north coast and down to Panama. As you know, time got away with distractions like hurricane season, Christmas holidays and overseas visitors.
So, here we are in February, heading for Colombia instead. Once again, the Hol Chan marine reserve and Shark Ray Alley are eluding us. So are Cay Caulker, the Blue Hole and the jungle excursion at Cockcomb basin. But we're still sailing to windward though, lucky us!

Voici une histoire de l'an dernier, parmi tant d'autres encore dans mes archives. Un peu de nostalgie de ma part, bonne lecture a vous!

Belize, 15-17 Juin 2013

Ça vous dit une virée tropicale au Belize pour la Fête des Peres?

En fait, la raison principale pour ce weekend end était le renouvellement de nos visas touristiques mexicains qui ne sont valides que pour 6 mois. Il fallait donc quitter le pays, même si ce n'était que pour 24h. On a bien pense à une escapade shopping aux USA, ou même une visite surprise chez des amis aux Antilles, mais tout ça coutait bien trop cher et de plus, avec la saison cyclonique bien entamée, on ne voulait pas laisser le bateau seul pour plus de 3 jours. Finalement, l'option Belize avait plus d'attrait : 4h de route jusqu'à la frontière, on pourrait prendre le ferry pour San Pedro a Ambergris Cay, s'amuser 2 jours au soleil, revenir en avion a Corozal, sur la cote, occasion parfaite de photographier le lagon vu du ciel, avant de nous faire reconduire a la frontière pour récupérer la voiture. Tout ne pouvait que bien se passer, non ? Un coup d'œil rapide à la météo avant de partir, Terry satisfait qu'il n'y ait rien à l'horizon, et on est partis.

On n'avait même pas atteints l'entrée principale que le stress a commencé. On s'est arrêtés pour prendre de l'argent au distributeur local, et la : aucun des codes de nos cartes de crédit ne marchait ! On a découvert que notre banque australienne avait décidé de réémettre de nouveaux codes, certains à notre demande, d'autres non. Je ne vais pas rentrer dans les détails, ce n'est pas le but de l'histoire, disons juste que tenter de contacter qui que ce soit en Australie un samedi pour résoudre ce genre de problèmes relève de l'impossible. D'autant plus qu'on avait 5 heures pour prendre le water taxi a Chetumal, à la frontière mexicaine. Le gros dilemme était donc de tenter notre chance et passer la frontière avec le peu de sous qu'on avait sur nous en espérant pouvoir utiliser nos cartes OU la jouer sur et annuler le périple, renonçant aux acomptes déjà payes. L'idée de perdre des centaines de dollars en chambres d'hôtels et transferts payes d'avance ne me plaisait pas du tout, donc on a finalement décidé de partir et improviser en route.

Le trajet s'est passe sans histoires : on a trouvé le parc de stationnement longue durée facilement, a 30 pesos par jour (moins de $3 par jour), c'était encore moins cher que prévu ; le water taxi avait bien nos réservations faites en ligne...tout était nickel. Le service d'immigration m'a quand même inquiété au début : tous les étrangers entrant le Mexique pour 7 jours ou plus doivent payer 295 pesos ($25). La taxe peut se payer en quittant le pays, mais dans notre cas nous nous sommes acquittes en janvier lors de nos formalités d'entrée. Le problème était que je ne pouvais pas le prouver, ayant oublié les reçus à bord et les autorités a Chetumal se sont préparées à me facturer $100 pour taxes de départ. J'ai dû avoir l'air complètement idiote/désolée/mignonne (à vous de choisir) en essayant de m'expliquer en mauvais espagnol, car la dame derrière le bureau a finalement suggéré que je signe une procuration demandant une exemption de paiement. Ca j'ai pu le faire facilement, en gribouillant quelques mots au verso des photocopies de passeports (que j'avais avec moi, heureusement), puis j'ai salué les officiers et disparue rapidement le long du quai avant qu'ils ne changent d'avis!

L'embarquement était intéressant. Etant un départ international, tous les passagers ont du se mettre en ligne le long du quai, nos bagages à nos pieds, pour que les douaniers mexicains et leur chien inspectent le contenu. Que cherchaient-ils ? On ne sait pas, sauf que le toutou a repéré un bon sachet de tacos ! Puis ce fut enfin le moment de faire la traversée de la Baie de Chetumal. 2 heures plus tard, arrivée au quai de San Pedro, qui arborait le pavillon du Guatemala. Explication de l'officier d'immigration bélizien : oh, il y avait un match de boxe la veille entre les 3 nations du Belize, Guatemala et Mexique. Il était convenu que le capitaine du port hisserait le drapeau du pays gagnant. Ce fut le Guatemala, donc par respect, leur pavillon flottera sur le sol Bélizien pendant un mois (jusqu'au prochain match !)

On avait une réservation au Caribbean Villa Hôtel, à ¼ heure en voiture de golf du centre de San Pedro. Tout y était nickel : l'emplacement en bord de mer, la chambre (genre loft indépendant grand pour 7 personnes !), la piscine, le cocktail d'accueil au bar...le seul problème étant qu'ils ne servent pas le dîner, donc il a fallu partir à la recherche d'un endroit pour manger. En fin de compte, il n'y avait pas grand choix près de l'hôtel, le seul restau décent était plein de touristes faisant la queue pour des langoustes (la saison venait juste de commencer !). Comme on n'avait pas envie de revenir en ville dans le noir, on a finalement choisi des pizzas à Pepperoni's, une gargote au fond d'un jardin, endroit très sympa sans touristes, 100% local.

Le lendemain fut programme farniente : après un petit déjeuner de beignets sur la terrasse, nous sommes partis faire le tour de l'ile. Ambergris Cay ne ressemble en rien au Mexique. Autrefois connus comme le Honduras Britannique, Belize est devenu un pays indépendant en 1981. La langue officielle est l'anglais, la population locale un mélange de mestizos (descendants métis espagnols/mayas), créoles (descendants métis africains/européens), garifunas (descendants des caribes de St Vincent), chinois, indiens, et l'occasionnel britannique qui a préféré rester plutôt que de retourner en Angleterre (qui peut le leur reprocher?) On se serait crus aux Antilles avec l'ambiance hyper relax et la musique tropicale. En flânant dans les rues colorées de San Pedro, 2 hommes nous ont abordé, à la recherche de clients pour un tour opérateur local. Apres avoir bavarde un peu, ils nous ont convaincu de nous inscrire pour une excursion snorkelling à la réserve sous-marine de Hol Chan et Shark Ray Alley, à 4 miles au large. Nous leur avons versé un acompte de $100 et demande de venir nous chercher le lendemain au quai de l'hôtel. Les locaux étaient en train d'installer des hauts parleurs et une scène au bord de l'eau pour le concert des fêtes des pères, ils nous ont invités à les joindre un peu plus tard, mais en remarquant les gros nuages arrivant du sud, on a décidé de retourner à l'hôtel. Ce fut la meilleure décision. Alors que la météo a vire du chaud et ensoleille au froid et vente, on se l'est joue cool avec un déjeuner typique bélizien de langoustes, ribs, riz et haricots et rhum cocktails !

Le lendemain, Dimanche, nos projets de passer la journée sur le reef furent bouleverses par l'arrivée d'une dépression tropicale, produisant des pluies diluviennes et de violents coups de vent. On n'avait pas d'autre choix que de rester à l'hôtel toute la journée. Notre skipper dument stresse a suivi la trajectoire de la tempête sur le site du National Hurricane Center (Dieu merci pour le WIFI). Venant de l'est du Honduras, elle se dirigeait vers le nord-ouest, directement sur Belize et on craignait qu'elle ne tourne plus au nord et touche la Riviera Maya. Avec un bateau laisse seul, et aucun moyen immédiat d'y revenir, je ne vous décris pas le degré d'inquiétude de Terry. Heureusement que nos amis surveillaient le bateau pour nous a Puerto, et d'après eux le temps y était superbe. Donc, sans aucune maitrise de la situation et ayant perdu nos $100 d'acompte, il n'y avait rien d'autre à faire que passer notre temps au beach bar de l'hôtel et profiter à nouveau de leur BBQ et cocktails, pendant qu'il pleuvait des cordes des heures durant !

Les propriétaires, Graham et Ruth, ont été de très bons hôtes, s'assurant que notre court séjour a Belize reste inoubliable. Eux-mêmes navigateurs, ils avaient leur propre catamaran à protéger et savaient très bien comment on se sentait. Car, malgré les multiples libations et notre apparente bonne humeur, on s'inquiétait tellement pour le bateau (Terry n'arrêtant pas de proclamer qu'on ne le surprendrait plus jamais coince sur une ile !) qu'on a fini par avancer notre vol de retour le lendemain. Non pas que ce fut d'une aide fulgurante : on pensait partir tôt le matin au lieu de l'après-midi, mais le temps était tellement mauvais que tous les vols furent retardes de 3 heures et nous n'avons décollé qu'à midi. Autant pour notre autre plan de prendre des belles photos aériennes de la barrière de corail et de la baie de Chetumal, vu que nous avons vole dans un ciel couleur gris métal et atterris dans une véritable soupe de nuages. Terry vous dira que les 20 minutes de vol étaient longues et bruyantes dans ce Cessna Caravan de 14 passagers ( un horrible petit coucou, qu'il dit !) et rien qu'à observer le choix des sièges révèle l'état d'esprit de chacun : je choisis d'être a l'avant pour prendre mes photos, les enfants se sont mis aux fenêtres, et Terry était sans doute le seul à se préoccuper de la répartition du poids total en s'asseyant au milieu de l'avion. Bien sûr, nous sommes arrivés sains et saufs à Corozal, sur le continent.

Pourquoi ne pas prendre un vol direct pour Chetumal, ou nous avons laisse la voiture ? C'est un peu complique. Alors qu'il y a un water taxi « international » entre Chetumal (Mexique) et San Pedro (Belize), ce n'est pas possible de prendre l'avion de San Pedro à Chetumal (par contre il y a des vols pour Cancun). Donc la seule alternative aérienne est d'atterrir à Corozal, à 15 miles de la frontière mexicaine et embaucher un chauffeur pour nous reconduire a Chetumal pour récupérer notre véhicule. C'est plus facile que ça en a l'air : plusieurs béliziens offrent des services de transfert entre Belize et le Mexique, et j'ai trouvé sur internet Henry de Belize VIP Transfer Services, qui non seulement a patiente 3 heures sous la pluie pendant que notre vol était retarde, nous a ramené a la frontière, attendu alors qu'on remplissait les formalités de douane et d'immigration et nous a déposé exactement là où nous avons commencé 3 jours avant. Pour $40, à mon avis, ça valait le coup, surtout après avoir entendu des histoires de voyageurs ratant le bus ou rencontrant des officiers corrompus.

Tout est bien qui finit bien donc, notre petite virée était un succès : nous avons de nouveaux visas, bons pour 6 mois, le bateau n'a jamais été en danger, et la dépression tropicale a finalement fini dans le Veracruz (une région bien plus à l'ouest) ; et le peu qu'on a vu de Belize nous a plu assez pour nous donner envie d'y revenir. Par bateau. Quant aux cartes de crédit, après quelques coups de fil, tout est réglé avec la banque...nous voilà bons à repartir !

Mise à jour - Février 2014

Malheureusement, nous n'avons pas eu l'occasion de revenir au Belize, que ce soit en bateau ou autrement. On avait pourtant prévu dans notre itinéraire de passer 2 mois à naviguer le long de la barrière de corail jusqu'à la baie des iles au Honduras. Mais il aurait fallu partir mi-décembre, pour rentabiliser les $650 de frais de clearance, prendre de la marge avec la météo et la navigation au près le long de la cote du Honduras et vers le Panama. Comme vous le savez, nous nous sommes laisses distraire par la saison cyclonique, les vacances de Noel et plusieurs visiteurs.

Alors, voilà : nous sommes au mois de Février et au lieu de Belize, on fait le cap sur la Colombie. Encore une fois, nous avons raté la réserve marine de Hol Chan et Shark Ray Halley. Ainsi que Cay Caulker, le Blue Hole et les excursions dans la jungle. Par contre la navigation au près, on n'y a pas échappé !

Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011