Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Back on passage : Mexico to Colombia

06 March 2014 | Cartagena, Colombia
Voahangy
Passage Mexico to Colombia – Feb 21-27, 2014

It’s been over a year since our last passage. To say we lost our sea legs is an understatement, and it took the best part of 4 days to get used to the motion again. It was not the worst passage; it was not the greatest either. Here is a recount.

Day 1

After days of parties, hugs and emotional speeches, everyone lost it. Oh what tears we had: teenage girls, tough adults,…the floodgates opened. It took Terry starting off the engines to shake everyone of our sad torpor and get the boat underway at 10am.
Winds are as predicted: SE 15 knots with a moderately heavy swell. In itself not a big deal, but quite a challenge for the landlubbers that we’ve become. I took a Kwell before we left, so I could be operational, which I am, though feeling quite drowsy. Marc and Anne are feeling very sick, probably a combination of seasickness and emotional stress after living friends. Very rough day.
Heading 110 deg, due east. The idea is to go as far east as we can, avoiding reefs south of Cayman islands and shoals along the north coast of Honduras, turning south at the bottom of Jamaica. We tried to sail, putting the main sail and head sail up, but by 5pm the wind was shifting so much, we gave up, put the head sail away and motored to windward. Not pleasant at all!
Pitching into the waves is putting pressure on the hull and the rigging, normally not an issue, except the rigging was really loose. We didn’t think of checking it before we left, so here we are now at sunset, the boys adjusting turnbuckles with spanners on a boat behaving like a bucking bull! Terry assures me there is nothing to worry about. I can’t help thinking about what else could go wrong!
Anne slept for a full 12h, I 10h, Marc and Terry shared the night watch.
Lunch/dinner: leftovers from our farewell party. Easy on the cook!

Day 2


Winds eased during the night, still heading to windward. It sucks! Terry spent all night trying to get a weather forecast (grib file), finally got it working and the predictions are for 10 knots winds, except we have 15-20 knots on the nose. It reminds me of our trip to Vanuatu 15 years ago (going to windward in 40 knots winds for 11 days) when I swore we would never sail to windward again!
The kids and I are still sick. They spend their days outside, I sleep a lot. Not much on the radar, we seem to be the only boat out there.
Anne and I caught a small fish today. We think it is either a jack or a snapper. Terry cut it in 4 small fillets, I cooked it in butter and served with roasted potatoes and capsicum.

Day 3

East 15-20 knots all night and most of the day, so rough!! We put a reef in the MS. Then wind dropped down to 8-12 knots, which feels like bliss as it means no more bashing. Though we’re still going to windward, the boat is sliding thru the water rather than smashing into it. Sea sickness is slowly abating, so the kids and I are becoming more functional, though after a year at the dock, we are all pretty rusty. Lacking Terry’s mechanical mindedness, we have pretty much forgotten how to do things. We drive him crazy with questions like “how do you adjust the brightness on the radar?”, “which are the no 2 reefing lines again?” or “we’re motorsailing, I can’t remember which nav lights to turn on!” Thankfully, if he thinks we’re a useless crew, he’s not showing. We learn by doing and he knows as well as I do that by the time the crossing is over we’ll be experts again
Heading 127 deg, turned a bit south now that we passed Misteriosa Shoals, south of Cayman.
We were entertained by a pod of dolphins, 10 of them played in the bow wake for a good 30 minutes, one of them even put on a jumping show. Saw our first boat today: a cargo ship bound for Panama.
Dinner: roasted asparagus, tomato sandwich (homemade bread!) and omelette

Day 4

Great night, wind dropped to below 10 knots, the current is finally in our favour pushing us south with an extra knot. Still motoring though, as wind angle is barely 30 degree. This boat really does not do well unless we are 45 deg off the wind or more.
We’re 195 nm due west of Jamaica. Forecasts are for the winds to pick up later today, so I am making the most of the conditions baking muffins and prepping lunch. And indeed the day became bumpier not only with breezes of 15 knots but also several squalls! Painful!
Dinner: rice and stir fry tofu (I am improvising until we catch another fish!)

Day 5

Heading 124 deg, No change, winds still east 15 knots, bad angle, can’t wait until we reach the waypoint where we can turn south to Cartagena.
Spooky sighting this morning: a white upturned dinghy floating around, we passed it barely 20 metres from our starboard side. We didn’t stop to investigate, since we’re 200nm from land, not equipped to turn the thing over, let alone tow it to Colombia. But it reminded me of the times when we sailed off the coast of Libya back in 2007, straight thru an area full of refugee boats, and worried about what we would do if we ever encounter one of them. This is an issue we hope we never have to face.
Lots of boat traffic today, mostly container ships but also one yacht FREA, a small ketch on their way from San Andres Island to Jamaica. They came close for a look, bouncing up and down even more than us! We chatted on the VHF for a while, exchanging tips on Panama and whinging about the sea conditions ( I felt sorry for them when they mentioned how they looked forward to a nice hot meal knowing we had had a grilled lunch ourselves)
The kids are fine: I can tell they are normal now, because they both are laying on the lounge inside watching TV, instead of taking fresh air on the flybridge. They are even eating again! Sea sickness is now replaced with boredom, claiming that they are not well enough to do school (i.e., can’t think, can’t write, can’t read),…in the meantime, I am back writing blog posts!!
Heading 146 deg, finally turned south in the afternoon and improved our wind angle to 60 deg, we’re flying now, boat speed is 8.5 knots! We can finally turn the engine off.
Hooked a big sailfish/marlin, he fought and cut the line with his bill. No time for photos unfortunately. Also caught a small bonito just before dinner, in fact so small we threw it back.
Dinner: fried rice with left over stir-fry vegies, zucchini and sausages

Day 6

Heading 151 deg, winds increased to 20 knots during the night. Still making good speed of 8.5-9 knots with reefed MS. 36 hours to go! Only problem now is messy seas, and even though we’re not quite going to windward as before, the beam seas are much bigger it seems. I have a theory: we must have been in the relative lee of the big islands before (Cuba, Jamaica and even Hispaniola somewhat sheltered us from the large ocean swell. Now that we are well and truly in the open Caribbean Sea, with Martinique 950nm to our East and Panama Isthmus 250nm to the West, there is nothing stopping the waves and winds from funnelling thru. Definitely not my favourite cruising ground! 180nm to Cartagena.
I have been trying to figure out where the best place is on the boat during a passage like this: the fly bridge is best for fresh air, relatively quiet as you don’t hear much of the waves, though you can clearly see the bow crashing into them. The wind however can be felt and heard in full force, I like to stay there, under the shade of the bimini for about an hour, then have to leave because I start getting headaches from windswept. Next retreat available is the back deck which we protect from the elements with our clear enclosures. With only the side “gates” open for ventilation, I call this space our green house/outdoor room, ideal for a game of scrabble, sitting away from the wind, but quite noisy while under way because so close to the transom and the wash of the boat. Then, we have the saloon, luxuriously spacious and with windows opening onto the outside, to keep any sea sickness away. Unless you’re already sea sick, in which case you don’t want to go anywhere near inside, since the cabin is quite warm (the aircon was out of service, due to an airlock in the pipe, damn waves!) Actually one of my favourite place, while sea sick, is the main cabin: located aft, it doesn’t move as much as the forward ones, the bed is a thousand times more comfortable than the couches in the saloon or the back deck, and you can stretch and/or bury yourself in pillows while you close your eyes dreaming of making landfall soon. Only thing is that we’re talking of being down below, where you can hear every creak in the boat, the drumroll of incoming waves, and finally the pounding of the water against the hulls. When we first moved on board a catamaran, after years on a monohull, I used to be petrified the boat would snap in half. Now I’m used to it, and when I’m tired or sick enough, I even sleep thru all this noise! So where does everyone curl up? Anne spent the first 3 days either up on the flybridge or the back deck, she’s now graduated to the saloon, watching TV and playing minecraft. She still sleeps on the back deck. Marc shares his time between listening to music on the flybridge and watching movies in the saloon during the day, then retreats to his cabin for the night. Like me, he waits until he’s very tired, then he can sleep thru anything. You will find Terry on the flybridge during the day, either reading or fiddling with the sails, trying to make the boat go faster. Then, in the pilots’ seat in the saloon, fiddling with the navigation instruments, still trying to make the boat go faster. And for me? No guessing where I spend my waking moments: mostly in the galley, with a few breaks up on the flybridge!
Hooked 2 good size bonitos, Anne had time to snap a picture of one of them before they both got off! Just as well, as they’re smelly fish and bleed a lot, and no one was volunteering for the filleting!
Dinner: spaghetti with bacon, sausages, zucchini and tomatoes ( I still have tons of zucchinis!

Day 7

It’s official, the weather forecasts lie! 35nm to Cartagena, the winds were supposed to die down 2 days ago and we’ve had nothing but 25 knots, even gusts of 30 knots at night. The main sail has been on reef no 1 for 4 days, head sail reduced yesterday. Skies are now overcast and lots of boats around to watch as we approach the coast.
And just like that, 20nm from destination the wind and swell died. Plenty of time to have a decent lunch, clean up, and prepare for clearance.
Dropped the anchor in front of Club Nautico at 1pm.

Navigation Mexique – Colombie. 21 au 27 Février 2014

Notre dernière traversée remonte à plus d’un an. Autant dire que nous avons perdu nos jambes de marin, et il nous a fallu pas moins de 4 jours pour nous reamariner. Ce n’était pas la pire des navigations, pas la meilleure non plus. Compte rendu de la skippette :

Jour 1

Apres d’interminables fêtes, embrassades et discours charges d’émotions, tout le monde a fini par craquer. Mon dieu, que de larmes : jeunes filles ou adultes aguerris, peu importe, personne n’a pu se retenir. Il a fallu que Terry démarre les moteurs pour nous tirer de notre triste torpeur et finalement larguer les amarres à 10h du matin.
La météo est comme prévue : SE à 15 nœuds avec une houle modérée. En soi, pas si mal, sauf que les terriens que nous sommes devenus ont du mal à s’habituer. J’ai pris un Kwell avant de partir pour être opérationnelle, ça marche mais je me sens assez somnolente. Marc et Anne sont très malades, sans doute dû au mal de mer et le stress de quitter leurs potes. Dure journée !
Cap 110 deg, plein Est. L’idée est de nous diriger le plus à l’est possible, pour éviter les récifs au sud des îles Cayman et les hauts fonds le long de la côte nord du Honduras, puis tourner à droite au sud de la Jamaïque. On a bien essaye de naviguer toutes voiles dehors, mais à 17h le vent était tellement changeant qu’on a laissé tomber, on a range le génois et fini au moteur au prés. Très désagréable !
Le tangage dans les vagues met beaucoup de pression sur les coques et le gréement, normalement ce n’est pas un problème, sauf que cette fois un des haubans est vraiment très (trop) lâche. On n’a pas pensé à les vérifier avant de partir, alors voilà les hommes a la tombée de la nuit, en train d’ajuster les ridoirs avec de grosses clés sur un bateau qui se comporte comme un cheval de rodéo ! Terry me dit qu’il n’y a rien à craindre. Je n’arrête pas de penser à la prochaine panne !
Anne a dormi 12h d’affilée, moi presque 10h, Terry et Marc ont assume les quarts de nuit.
Lunch/diner : les restes de notre diner d’adieu il y a 2 jours. Plus simple pour la cuisinière !

Jour 2

Moins de vent pendant la nuit, mais toujours au prés. Une vraie galère ! Terry a passé toute la nuit à obtenir les prévisions météo, qui disent 10 nœuds, sauf qu’en vrai on a 15-20 nœuds dans le nez. Cela me rappelle une nav’ sur Vanuatu il y a 15 ans (au prés dans 40 nœuds de vent pendant 11 jours depuis Cairns) après laquelle on avait juré de ne plus jamais naviguer au prés !
Les enfants et moi sommes toujours patraques. Ils passent leur journée sur le pont, je somnole beaucoup. Pas grand-chose sur le radar, on a l’air d’être les seuls en mer.
Anne a attrapé un petit poisson ce matin. On pense que c’est une espèce de daurade. Terry l’a coupé en 4 petites tranches, je l’ai préparé au beurre, servi avec des pommes de terre et poivrons rôtis.

Jour 3

Vent Est 15-20 nœuds toute la nuit et la majorité de la journée, mer agitée ! Prise de ris. Puis c’a s’est calme, brise de 8-12 nœuds, sensation merveilleuse maintenant qu’on ne se fracasse plus. On a toujours le vent dans le nez, mais maintenant le bateau glisse dans l’eau au lieu de s’y enfoncer. Le mal de mer s’atténue aussi, les enfants et moi devenons plus utiles à bord, quoique après un an à quai, on est assez rouilles. A la différence de Terry, qui est doué mécaniquement, nous avons pratiquement oublie toutes le manœuvres. On le rend fou avec nos questions du genre « comment on règle la lumière sur l’écran radar ? », « quelle couleur pour la drisse de ris no 2 ? » ou encore « on est au moteur et à la voile, je ne me souviens plus quels feux allumer? » S’il nous trouve nuls comme équipiers, il a assez de tact pour ne rien dire. On apprend en faisant et il sait autant que moi, que d’ici la fin de cette traversée nous serons à nouveau des pros.
Cap 127 deg, on peut virer plus au sud maintenant que nous avons passé les hauts fonds de Misteriosa, au sud des Cayman.
Divertissement assure par un groupe de 10 dauphins, qui se sont amusés dans notre étrave pendant 30 minutes, l’un d’eux a même fait quelques bonds. Premier bateau en vue : un porte container en route pour Panama.
Dîner : Asperges rôties, sandwich a la tomate (pain fait maison) et omelette.

Jour 4

Super nuit, vent de moins de 10 nœuds, le courant est enfin à notre avantage, et nous donne un coup de pouce : 1 nœud de plus vers le sud. Nous sommes toujours au prés, l’angle du vent est à peine 30 deg. Notre cata ne commence pas à galoper avant d’avoir une brise a 45 deg ou plus.
Nous sommes à 195 miles nautiques à l’ouest de la Jamaïque. Le vent est censé se rafraichir plus tard, je profite des bonnes conditions pour faire des muffins et préparer le déjeuner. Bien m’en a pris car ça a commencé à souffler dans les 15 nœuds avec des grains en plus. Pénible !
Dîner : Riz et stir fry de tofu (j’improvise en attendant d’attraper un autre poisson)

Jour 5

Cap 125 deg, pas de changement, vent d’est 15 nœuds, angle nul, hâte d’atteindre le WP pour tourner plein sud vers Carthagène.
Observation bizarre ce matin : une annexe blanche flottant à l’envers, on l’a croisé a même pas 20 mètres sur notre tribord. On ne s’est pas arrêtés pour enquêter, vu que nous sommes à 200 miles des côtes, pas équipés pour retourner l’engin, et encore mois pour le remorquer en Colombie. Mais ça m’a rappelé une autre navigation le long de la cote libyenne en 2007, une zone pleine de bateaux de refugies, et a l’époque on avait tellement peur de nous retrouver nez à nez avec l’un d’eux, ne sachant pas quoi faire. J’espère ne jamais me trouver dans cette situation.
Pleins de bateaux à l’horizon aujourd’hui : la plupart des porte-containers, mais aussi un voilier FREA, un ketch venant de l’ile de San Andres à destination de la Jamaïque. On s’est croises de prés pour se jeter un coup d’œil, chacun bondissant dans les vagues, eux encore plus que nous ! On a papote sur la VHF, a échanger des infos sur le Panama et nous plaignant des conditions en mer (je n’ai rien dit quand ils ont mentionné rêver d’un bon repas chaud, alors qu’on venait de finir des grillades pour notre déjeuner !)
Les enfants vont bien : je le sais car ils sont tous deux dans le carre à regarder la télé, au lieu de prendre l’air sur le fly. Ils recommencent même à manger ! L’ennui a remplacé le mal de mer, prétendant qu’ils ne sont pas assez en forme pour étudier (on n’arrive pas à penser, écrire ou même lire…) entre temps, moi je me suis remise à mes articles de blog.
Cap 146 deg, on a enfin vire au sud cette après-midi et amélioré l’angle du vent a 60 deg, on file maintenant à 8,5 nœuds, moteur éteint !
Un voilier/marlin a mordu à l’hameçon, il s’est tellement bien débattu qu’il a coupé la ligne. Pas le temps pour une photo, dommage. Une petite bonite s’est faite attraper avant le diner, en fait tellement mini qu’on l’a relâchée.
Dîner : riz cantonais avec les restes de stir fry, courgettes et saucisses.

Jour 6

Cao 151 deg, vent est monte à 20 nœuds pendant la nuit. Bonne allure a 8,5-9 nœuds, la grand-voile toujours avec 1 ris. Plus que 36 heures ! Le problème c’est une mer très agitée, et même si on fait du bon plein maintenant on dirait que les vagues de travers sont bien plus grosses qu’avant. J’ai ma théorie : on devait être sous le vent des grandes iles auparavant (Cuba, Jamaïque et même Hispaniola), et protégés de la houle océane. Maintenant que nous sommes en pleine mer des Caraïbes, avec la Martinique à 950 miles à l’est et le Panama à 250 miles à l’ouest, rien ne freine les vagues et le vent. C’est sûr, on n’est pas dans notre zone de croisière préférée ! 180 miles de Carthagène.
J’ai essayé de trouver le meilleur endroit à bord pendant une nav’ comme celle-ci : le fly bridge est idéal pour prendre l’air, relativement calme car on entend moins les vagues, même si on est aux premières loges pour voir l’étrave s’enfoncer dans l’eau. Par contre le vent se fait entendre et sentir à 100%, j’aime rester sous le bimini une petite heure, mais pas plus car je finis avec un mal de tête et complètement ébouriffée. L’option suivante est le pont arrière que l’on protège des éléments avec nos tauds transparents. Bien aéré grâce aux « portes ouvertes » cet espace est comme une verrière, ou on se retrouve pour un jeu de Scrabble à l’abri du vent et de la pluie. Le seul inconvénient c’est le bruit car on est près des moteurs et des jupes, et on entend tous les remous. Apres, il y a le carre, tellement spacieux avec ses grandes fenêtres donnant vue sur la mer, c’est assez pour empêcher le mal de mer. A moins d’être déjà malade, auquel cas l’intérieur est hors de question, surtout qu’il y fait assez chaud (la climat était HS, pour cause de bulle d’air dans les tuyaux, merci aux vagues !). En fait mon coin favori quand je suis patraque, c’est notre cabine : située a l’arrière, on y rebondit moins que dans les autres cabines, le lit est 1000 fois plus confortable que les canapés dans le carre ou le cockpit, on peut s’y étirer et/ou s’enfouir dans les oreillers en fermant les yeux et rêver d’arriver à destination. La seule chose c’est qu’on est en bas, alors tout s’entend : les grincements du bateau, les remous tels des roulements de tambour, le fracas des vagues sur la coque. : La première fois qu’on a mis les pieds sur un cata j’étais morte de peur que le bateau se brise en 2. Maintenant j’ai l’habitude et fatiguée ou malade, dormir dans tout ce bruit n’est plus un problème ! Alors, ou se pelotonner ? Anne a élu résidence les 3 premiers jours sur le fly ou le pont arrière, elle est maintenant passée dans le carre ou elle regarde la télévision ou joue à Minecraft sur son IPod. Elle dore toujours sur le pont arrière cependant. Marc soit écoute sa musique sur le fly ou regarde des films dans carre pendant la journée, puis se retire dans sa cabine la nuit. Il est comme moi, quand il est fatigue, rien ne peut le réveiller. Vous trouverez Terry, de jour, sur le fly à bouquiner ou aux manœuvres, tentant d’accélérer le bateau. De nuit, il est dans son siège de pilotage dans le carre, à tripatouiller les instruments pour encore et toujours aller plus vite. Et moi ? C’est facile, je passe mon temps dans la cuisine, avec quelques pauses sur le fly !
2 belles bonites ont mordu à l’hameçon, Anne a juste eu le temps de prendre une photo avant qu’elles ne s’échappent ! C’est tout aussi bien, personne n’était chaud pour les dépecer !
Dîner : spaghetti au bacon, saucisses, courgettes et tomates (il me reste encore des tonnes de courgettes)

Jour 7

C’est officiel, les prévisions météo ont tout faux ! Nous sommes à 35 miles de Carthagène, le vent aurait dû faiblir il y a 2 jours. A la place on a essuyé 25 nœuds, parfois des rafales de 30 nœuds pendant la nuit. La grand-voile est sous ris no 1 depuis 4 jours, le génois réduit depuis hier. Le temps est couvert, et la mer pleine de bateaux à surveiller maintenant que nous approchons la cote.
Et voilà que soudainement, à 20 miles de notre destination le vent et la houle ont disparu. Ça tombe bien, ça nous donne le temps de déjeuner correctement, tout nettoyer et nous préparer pour les papiers d’entrée.
Mouillage en face du Club Nautico à 10h.

Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011