Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Panama Canal Transit 2014

10 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia
Voahangy
Canal Transit, 5-6 April 2014

What a difference 6 years make! Bigger boat, older kids, busier period, more money…where to start?

Crossing the Panama Canal was all a formality to us, having been there before with our Lagoon 500 in 2008. This year, we used a different agent, as the one we dealt with previously got too busy to even reply to our emails. Business must be booming for Mr Plummer. Roy Bravo of Emmanuel Agencies was very diligent, friendly, very laid back but always punctual when it mattered! He arranged for all paperwork, line handlers and transit booking for us. Being peak season we thought we’d have to wait a while, but no. We were asked when we wanted to go thru, and were granted our date of choice, 3 days after the canal’s inspector’s visit. It happened so quick in fact, I felt like asking for extra time to enjoy a couple of days of rest after the mad rush of getting the boat ready.

Anyway, this time around we hired 2 line handlers instead of 4, having decided that Marc is big enough to handle one line, and I could be the 4th crew. Anne would be the assigned photographer. Besides saving money, line handling is not that difficult once you get used to it. You get a bit of an adrenaline kick when tied behind a big tanker in the chamber and the water gushes up in the lock. The lines need to be secured to hold the boat in position, and it requires a little strength and tons of concentration for 15-20 minutes, until you go thru the next chamber…It’s actually interesting and a nice feeling of accomplishment when the job is done, the boat safely out on the other side.

The timing of the whole operation is pretty much the same as 6 years ago, which I described in details on our previous log book and you can read about here. Fast forward to 2014, the routine is unchanged, only the names of the line handlers (Marcos and Edgar) and the canal advisors (Amado and Gabriel).

I always wondered why the small crafts (as we’re categorised as) are scheduled to start in the early evening. Amado explained to us that it was due to a combination of low water levels in the man-made Gatun lake and peak traffic period. Normally the Canal Authority would arrange for a “special lockage” for yachts only, but we are in the middle of high season and commercial traffic is high, also there has been no rain for weeks and without much water in the lake they are trying to maximise every lockage. A typical combination would be a small tanker and 3 yachts, all fitting in one chamber, as we did the first night. Going thru Gatun locks takes 90 minutes, and 3 chambers to reach 26 meters above sea level. That means 3 sets of the same manoeuvre: Canal staff throwing light lines to be attached to our heavy duty lines, boat crew (us) tying up lines to hold the boat in position while the water rises, when water reaches the desired level, the canal staff walks the lines along with the boat to the next chamber. We were placed between ???ft. tanker Atlantic Spirit and a Swiss catamaran, KOA, which rafted with VADROUIL, a small French yacht. All went without a hitch, largely thanks to Marcos and Edgar’s efficiency and Amado’s patience with rookie handlers like Marc and I. We were all supposed to gather around the anchoring buoy in Gatun Lake, except that the 2 big buoys were already occupied by 4 other yachts and a large passenger ship, DISCOVERY. It was 11pm, all lights were out in the boats, and totally unfazed Amado called out to Discovery to tell the crew we were coming alongside, so could they please help us with the lines. While Marc and our handlers were busy on the port side, I handled KOA’s lines on the starboard side as they had no choice but to raft along us. That’s one way to make fast friends (actually we knew each other, having met in the San Blas 2 weeks ago). A launch came to pick up Amado and the other pilots (they had a 90 minutes trip back to Panama City), we shared a couple of drinks with the handlers and bed followed not long after. I vaguely heard the handlers shuffling on deck thru the night, but was too tired to get up. In the morning they told us we had lost a fender overboard so one crew from Vadrouil jumped in after it: in the dark, crocodile infested waters of the lake. Some people do strange things sometimes, I would have left the fender behind.

The next morning felt like we were in a holiday camp: 6 yachts and a passenger ship in close quarters, waking up to their respective breakfasts, waving at each other. The new advisors arrived at 8am with “great news! Today is going to be an easy day, we have special lockage. That means no tanker, just us yachts, Discovery and another couple of passenger boats.” (it turns out that specialty cruises down the Canal is big business!) With no strong boat wash to worry about, our advisor, Gabriel, even arranged for us to be rafted with Discovery, so that only 2 lines were required, less work for us. Indeed, the first 5 hours were quiet as we crossed the 20nm of Gatun lake to the first set of down locks. The back deck was turned into a “staff room”, with our line handlers catching up with sleep, Gabriel reading the newspaper and texting away, looking up for traffic every 5 minutes or so. Poor Terry was on the flybridge all the time, with intermittent company whenever we approached a marker or a lock. It was not until 2pm that we reached the downlocks, all boats tied neatly to each other, except for BLUE EYES, a Lagoon 450, who insisted on going in “center chamber” or by himself at the end of the convoy. I thought rafting up was safe enough, and it was for us, but not so for KOA, the other catamaran just ahead of us. In the second last lock, the wind got hold of her 49ft hulls, she lost control and spun around twice threatening to hit the walls and the passenger boat she was to raft with. I reckon a few guests would have had heart stoppage, not mentioning the pilot on board KOA! Luckily no one was hurt, except perhaps the skipper’s pride, and it served as a reminder that no two transits are alike and vigilance is required at all times. BLUE EYE must have been happy to watch the drama unfold from the back, safely tied to the walls!

By the time we exited the canal it was mid-afternoon, a pilot’s launch picked up Gabriel from our boat, we dropped Marcos and Edgar at the Balboa yacht Club, collected our passports and exit papers from Roy and made for the city anchorage of La Playita for the night. I had hoped to go ashore one last time, but the anchorage was rolly, Terry was reluctant to leave the boat unattended and tired from the transit we only wanted one thing, that was to get out to the Las Perlas islands for a couple of days of R&R.

So what has changed in 6 years?

Shelter Bay Marina has become the only marina within the transit basin on the Atlantic side. It is a beehive of activity with yachts coming and going on a daily basis. They charge accordingly, and while the marina facilities are nice (lobby for lounging around off the boat, swimming pool, WIFI, free shuttle to Colon for shopping…), the restaurant and chandlery shop leave a lot to be desired. With Colon a 30 minutes bus drive away, these businesses have such a captive market, it’s hard to fathom why they don’t look after cruisers better. The service was so bad, that Terry and I even talked about taking over, him in the shop and I in the restaurant. Except neither of us wish to relocate to Panama!

The canal is busier than ever, not only with commercial traffic but also with a massive expansion program. Started 6 years ago, the project includes a new canal with locks whose chambers will be 1400 ft. (427 mts) long and 180 ft. (55 mts) wide, big enough to accommodate the Panamax, mega size container ships. The new canal was scheduled to open in 2014, in time for the centenary but judging by the work in progress, it will be another 2 or 3 years before operations begin.

Costs are higher: while the agent fee remains the same as 6 years ago, the canal transit fee has somewhat increased ( $910 for our Lagoon 500 in 2008, $1300 for a Lagoon 560 now) and the cost of line handlers has doubled ($120 per person compared to $65 pp in 2008) Everyone seems to have smartphones nowadays, so there is no real interaction between the crew (us) and line handlers and advisor: when not directly involved with the line handling, they would all be texting, so much so that their phone batteries went flat and we were asked to recharge them. Roy did warn us about this, and while I remember having some fun conversations with the 2008 team, this year’s was just business.

Still, all went smoothly, and we don’t regret for a second our decision to hire professionals. Roy and his team know what they are doing (in fact I’m told the boys have over 300 transits under their belts!) and saved us a lot of running around both on and off the boat. We parted with the promise to call him when we come back with our next boat…Never say never!

Passage du Canal de Panama. 5-6 Avril 2014

Que de changements en 6 ans ! Un bateau plus gros, des enfants plus âgés, une période différente, plus de sous…par où commencer ?

Le transit du Canal de Panama était une formalité pour nous, y étant déjà passes en 2008 avec notre Lagoon 500. Cette année nous avons fait appel à un agent différent, vu que le précèdent était trop occupe pour répondre à nos mails. Les affaires doivent bien marcher pour Mr Plummer. Entre en scène Roy Bravo, d’Emmanuel Agencies, un monsieur très diligent, sympathique, et décontracté tout en sachant être ponctuel quand il le faut. Il s’est occupé de toute la paperasserie, des équipiers et de l’organisation du transit pour nous. Etant en haute saison, on s’attendait à devoir patienter, mais non. On nous a accordé la date qui nous convenait, 3 jours après la visite de l’inspecteur du Canal. En fait, tout s’est passe tellement vite que j’avais presque envie de demander plus de temps pour nous reposer quelques jours, après le stress des préparatifs.

Cette fois nous avons donc engage 2 line handlers au lieu de 4 pour les amarres, considérant Marc assez grand et moi- même disponible pour compléter l’équipage. Anne serait la photographe attitrée. En plus de faire des économies, ce n’est pas si difficile de s’occuper des amarres une fois le pli pris... On a une certaine montée d’adrénaline quand places derrière un pétrolier, l’eau jaillit de tous les cotes dans l’écluse et les amarres doivent être sécurisées pour tenir le bateau en place. Ça demande un peu de force et beaucoup de concentration pendant 15-20 minutes, jusqu’à ce qu’on arrive à la prochaine écluse…Mais finalement c’est un job assez intéressant et gratifiant, une fois le bateau passe de l’autre cote.

La procédure est la même qu’il y a 6 ans, telle que je l’ai décrit dans notre journal de bord de l’époque. Avançons en 2014, la routine n’a pas changée, uniquement les noms des équipiers (Marcos et Edgar) et des conseillers (Amado et Gabriel).

Je me suis toujours demande pourquoi le départ des petites embarcations (c’est comme ça qu’on est catégorisé) sont programmées en début de soirée. Amado nous a expliqué que c’est lie au faible niveau d’eau dans le lac artificiel de Gatún et au trafic en période de pointe. Habituellement les autorités du Canal organisent un « passage spécial » pour les yachts (lors duquel les écluses sont réservées pour un groupe de voiliers), mais nous sommes en plein saison et il y a beaucoup de trafic commercial. De plus il n’a pas plu depuis des semaines et avec le lac a moitié plein, il faut maximiser chaque passage. La combinaison typique est un « petit » pétrolier avec 3 yachts, qui rentrent tous dans une chambre, comme on l’a fait le premier soir. On a mis 2 heures pour traverser les 3 chambres et monter à 26 mètres au-dessus du niveau de la mer. Ça veut dire 3 fois la même manœuvre : les passeurs du Canal nous lancent leurs amarres légères pour qu’on les attachent aux nôtres plus costauds, les équipiers (nous) sécurisent les amarres pour tenir le bateau en place pendant que les eaux montent ; quand nous sommes à niveau, les passeurs a quai acheminent le bateau une centaine de mètres plus loin jusqu’à la prochaine chambre. Nous étions places entre ATLANTIC SPIRIT, un tanker de 500 pieds devant nous, et KOA, un catamaran suisse de 49 pieds, eux-mêmes a couple avec VADROUIL un monocoque français. Tout s’est passe comme prévu, en grande partie grâce à l’efficacité de Marcos et Edgar et l’infinie patience d’Amado envers Marc et moi, line handlers débutants. Une fois dans le lac Gatún, nous étions censés nous rassembler autour d’une bouée pour la nuit, sauf que les 2 grosses boues étaient déjà occupées par 4 autres voiliers et un bateau de passagers, DISCOVERY. Il était 23h, toutes les lumières étaient éteintes, mais ça n’a pas empêché Amado de héler l’équipage de DISCOVERY pour les informer de notre accostage imminent et leur demander de nous aider. Pendant que Marc et les équipiers étaient affaires cote bâbord, je me suis occupée cote tribord des amarres de KOA qui n’avait pas d’autre choix que de se mettre à couple avec nous. C’est une façon de se faire des amis rapidement (en fait, on se connaissait déjà, les ayant rencontré dans les San Blas 2 semaines avant !) Une vedette est venu récupérer Amado et les autres conseillers (ils en avaient encore pour 90 minutes de trajet jusqu’à Panama City), on a pris un verre avec nos line handlers puis ce fut dodo rapidos. J’ai vaguement entendu nos équipiers bouger sur le pont pendant la nuit, mais trop fatiguée je ne me suis pas levée. Ce n’est que le matin qu’on a découvert qu’une de nos défenses avait lâché et un des équipiers sur VADROUIL avait plongé pour la récupérer : dans ce lac aux eaux noires et infestées de crocodiles. Les gens font des choses bizarres parfois, j’aurais laisse la défense flotter.

Le lendemain matin, on se serait cru dans un camping : 6 yachts et un bateau de passagers attaches les uns aux autres et se saluant en prenant leur petit-déjeuner respectifs. Les nouveaux conseillers sont arrivés à 8h du matin, en déclarant « bonne nouvelle ! Aujourd’hui ça va être facile, on a droit à un passage spécial. Ça veut dire aucun pétrolier, juste nous les yachts, Discovery et 2 autres bateaux de passagers » (il se trouve que les croisières spécialisées le long du Canal sont très prisées !) Sans avoir à se soucier du sillage d’un gros bateau, notre conseiller du jour Gabriel, a même demande au skipper de DISCOVERY si on pouvait se mettre à couple, pour n’avoir que 2 amarres à surveiller, donc moins de travail pour nous. Les 5 premières heures se sont passées très calmement à naviguer les 20 miles nautiques entre le lac et l’écluse de Pedro Miguel. Le pont arrière fut transformé en « salle du personnel » ou les équipiers ont fait la sieste, Gabriel a lu le journal du dimanche tout en envoyant des SMS et surveillant le trafic dehors toutes les 5 minutes. Pauvre Terry est reste de permanence sur le flybridge, souvent seul sauf quand on approchait une bouée ou une écluse. Ce n’est que vers 14h que nous avons approché les écluses pour descendre, tous les bateaux se sont mis à couple, sauf BLUE EYES, in Lagoon 450 qui a insisté pour être place « center chamber » ou seul a la queue du convoi. Personnellement je pensais qu’être a couple était sûr, et ce l’était pour nous avec DISCOVERY. Ce ne fut pas le cas pour KOA, l’autre catamaran devant nous. Dans l’avant-dernière chambre, il s’est fait attraper par le vent, a perdu contrôle du bateau et s’est mis à faire un tête à queue 2 fois menaçant de heurter les murs et surtout le bateau de passagers auquel il devait s’attacher. Je suis sure que certains passagers ont failli avoir un arrêt cardiaque, sans parler du conseiller à bord de KOA ! Heureusement ce fut plus de peur que de mal, sauf peut-être pour la fierté du skipper, et un rappel a tous que chaque passage est unique et mérite toute notre attention. BLUE EYES a du observer le drame de loin en se félicitant d’être amarre seul dans son coin !
Le temps qu’on sorte du canal côte Pacifique, il était 16h, Gabriel a sauté dans sa navette, on a déposé Marcos et Edgar au Balboa Yacht Club, récupéré nos passeports et papiers de sortie avec Roy et trace sur le mouillage de la Playita pour la nuit. J’avais espéré nous rendre à terre une dernière fois, mais le mouillage était rouleur, Terry ne voulait pas laisser le bateau seul et on était tellement fatigues après le transit qu’on ne voulait qu’une chose : mettre le cap sur les iles de Las Perlas pour 1 ou 2 jours de repos avant la grande traversée.

Alors, qu’est-ce qui a changé en 6 ans ?

Shelter Bay est désormais la seule marina dans le bassin de transit côte Atlantique. C’est une vraie ruche avec des bateaux qui vont et viennent tous les jours, entamant leur transit ou le terminant. Les tarifs sont élevés ($2.05 /pied) et les infrastructures convenables (une salle commune ou se détendre, piscine, WIFI, navette gratuite pour se ravitailler a Colon…). Par contre le restaurant et le magasin d’accastillage sont lamentables. Avec Colon à ½ heure de bus, ils ont un marché captif ici et on n’arrive pas à comprendre pourquoi ils ne bichonnent pas mieux les plaisanciers. Le service était tellement minable que Terry et moi avons même parle de reprendre les 2 business : lui dans le magasin, moi au restau. Sauf que bien sûr, aucun de nous ne veut s’installer au Panama.

Le canal est plus actif que jamais, non seulement avec le trafic de bateaux mais aussi avec un énorme programme d’expansion. Commence il y a 6 ans, le projet consiste à bâtir un nouveau canal parallèle, ou les écluses contiendront des chambres de 1400 pieds (427 mètres) de long et 180 pieds (55 mètres) de large pour recevoir des Panamax, ces porte-conteneurs géants. Le nouveau canal devait être inaugure en 2014 a temps pour le centenaire mais à en juger par le chantier toujours en progrès, il faudra attendre encore 2 ou 3 ans avant qu’il soit opérationnel.
Les couts ont augmenté : alors que les frais d’agent restent les mêmes qu’il y a 6 ans, le cout du transit a augmenté quelque peu ($910 pour un Lagoon 500 en 2008, contre $1300 pour un Lagoon 560 en 2014) et le tarif pour line handlers a doublé ($120 par personne, compare à $65 en 2008). Tout le monde a l’air d’avoir un smartphone ce nos jours, et il n'y a pas d’interaction entre les équipages (nous) et les line handlers et les conseillers : a moins d’être occupes avec les amarres, ils étaient tous concentres sur leurs téléphones à envoyer des texto, à tel point que quand leurs batteries étaient à plat ils nous ont demandé de leur trouver une prise ou brancher leur portable pour le recharger. Roy nous avait prévenu. Je me souviens des conversations intéressantes avec l’équipe de 2008, mais cette année ce ne fut que du business.

Ceci dit, tout s’est bien passe, et on ne regrette pas une seconde notre décision d’engager des pros. Roy et son équipe savent ce qu’ils font (d’ailleurs j’ai appris que les line handlers entre eux deux ont accumule plus de 300 transits !) et nous ont épargné pas mal de soucis à terre et a bord. Nous nous sommes séparés en lui promettant de l’appeler lors de notre prochain passage avec notre nouveau bateau…On ne sait jamais !

Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011