Global Voyageur

Be a virtual voyager - join the tartan navy to follow the Mackays on their return to Scotland

21 June 2012 | Clyde Marina, Ardrossan
20 June 2012 | North Channel, Irish Sea
17 June 2012 | Bay of Biscay
15 June 2012 | Coruna Marina, La Coruna
14 June 2012 | Marina Coruna, La Coruna
13 June 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
12 June 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
09 June 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
07 June 2012 | Ponta Delgaga
06 June 2012 | Ponta Delgada
04 June 2012 | Angra
02 June 2012 | Horta, Faial
01 June 2012 | Horta , Faial
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
24 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
23 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
22 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
21 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
20 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean

Second look at San Miguel

07 June 2012 | Ponta Delgaga
Susan Mackay
In spite of our long sailing day with an early evening arrival yesterday, we had to be up bright and early for the half day tour of San Miguel and although we had not checked in with customs having arrived just too late last night, Lyall assured us that the authorities were very relaxed about such things and we could do it after the tour. David and I were here ten years ago and had forgotten just how lovely the island is. One of the prettiest of the archipelago, the biggest and most populated too. We climbed high to get the best view of the twin lakes, Lagoa dos Sete Cidades (lakes of the seven cities), situated in the northwest corner of the island, and San Miguel's most famous landmark. Separated by a causeway each is of quite a different colour, one blue, one green. We were so lucky that it was such a great day, for the subsequent days had very low cloud cover and we would have seen nothing. Like on Horta they have rich farming lands, growing everything and lots of fine dairy cattle. Returning to Ponta Delgada we visited Europe's only pineapple plantation, all grown in greenhouses but not for export competition from Curacao and Mexico being too much. Back at the boat we knuckled down to preparing for Donald's arrival that evening, clearing all the boat things that inevitably end up in a spare cabin, and our hoped for departure on Saturday the 9th. I hosed all the salt water from the decks and rigging and filled the water tanks, did a last laundry, meanwhile David checked in and downloaded the weather for the week ahead. It is looking good for the first four days and then there is a very deep low tracking across the Atlantic and into the Bay of Biscay so we will have to think about that one very carefully. In the early evening we were invited by the local yacht club to a drinks and canapés reception to mark the following evening's yacht race between their boats and the ARC Europe boats going on to Lagos and this marked the final opportunity to get together with them before we all go our separate ways. Donald's flight arrived on time and as he had had a very long day and we a very busy one, we did not stay up too late. With just one day left before our departure there is much still left to do.
Comments
Vessel Name: VOYAGEUR
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Hailing Port: Rhu, Scotland
Crew: Susan and David Mackay
About:
David first learned to sail on a Loch Fyne day boat out of Helensburgh Sailing Club on the River Clyde in his mid twenties. With the arrival of a family he did not do any more, until in 1984 we bought our first boat, “The Golden Soak”, a Matilda 20. [...]

Our motto:Carpe Diem

Who: Susan and David Mackay
Port: Rhu, Scotland