Global Voyageur

Be a virtual voyager - join the tartan navy to follow the Mackays on their return to Scotland

21 June 2012 | Clyde Marina, Ardrossan
20 June 2012 | North Channel, Irish Sea
17 June 2012 | Bay of Biscay
15 June 2012 | Coruna Marina, La Coruna
14 June 2012 | Marina Coruna, La Coruna
13 June 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
12 June 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
09 June 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
07 June 2012 | Ponta Delgaga
06 June 2012 | Ponta Delgada
04 June 2012 | Angra
02 June 2012 | Horta, Faial
01 June 2012 | Horta , Faial
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
24 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
23 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
22 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
21 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean
20 May 2012 | North Atlantic Ocean

All the way from Glen Affric, Scotland

24 April 2012 | Trellis Bay, Tortola
Susan Mackay
As promised Sue and Donald brought the sunshine, the cup-a-soups, my new replacement laptop keyboard bought and forwarded by Barrie, and themselves. They did however arrive minus Sue's luggage which after many frustrating hours of phone calls and investigation via the internet was finally traced and found to have been left behind at Gatwick airport. Poor Sue was without any cool clothes, toiletries, shoes and it was so hot. I lent her a sarong and flip flops and straight after breakfast we went ashore to the tiny super market on Beef Island. I remembered that they had had a sundress that might fit her and sure enough it was still there with the added bonus of a pretty swimsuit. The check out girl was full of sympathy for her plight and gave a very generous discount! Twenty four hours later the case arrived but a forecast of strong north easterlies sent us scurrying into Nanny Cay Marina for a couple of days while it passed through. The fresh water pump was playing up again having worked perfectly in the interval between Marian and Barrie' s visit and Sue and Donald's arrival. Sod's Law. As a matter of priority David purchased a new pump and fitted it with Donald's help. Two days later, the wild winds and thunderstorms had rolled away to the north and we had a lively sail over to our first "virgin", Jost Van Dyke. The lure of croissants from Christine's bakery was just too much for me to resist. Covering more or less the same ground that we had when Marian and Barrie has been with us, we swam in warm waters, imbibed in painkiller cocktails, and dined most nights in the Voyageur restaurant under the stars. In regular contact with Stephen on A Lady we never did quite manage to meet up with them but did however have a brief reunion with John and Liz Gordon having morning coffee on Jalan Jalan on Cooper Island. For our final evening Sue and Donald treated us to dinner in The Last Resort, a shack posing as a restaurant perched atop a tiny cay in the middle of Trellis Bay. The food was actually very good, rated number two throughout the archipelago.
Comments
Vessel Name: VOYAGEUR
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Hailing Port: Rhu, Scotland
Crew: Susan and David Mackay
About:
David first learned to sail on a Loch Fyne day boat out of Helensburgh Sailing Club on the River Clyde in his mid twenties. With the arrival of a family he did not do any more, until in 1984 we bought our first boat, “The Golden Soak”, a Matilda 20. [...]

Our motto:Carpe Diem

Who: Susan and David Mackay
Port: Rhu, Scotland