Happy Morning: The Caribbean

All the Gear; No Idea...

23 January 2013
20 January 2013
18 January 2013
20 May 2012
19 May 2012 | Barbados Yacht Club
18 May 2012 | The Mount Gay Regatta - Barbados
15 May 2012 | Carlisle Bay - Barbados Cruising Club
14 May 2012 | Carlysle Bay, Bardados
11 May 2012 | St Lucia
10 May 2012 | Rodney Bay Marina
04 May 2012 | A dreary Maldon, UK
03 January 2011 | Rodney Bay
16 December 2010 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
11 December 2010

MGRRBR 2013 - Part Two

20 January 2013
Steve
19/1/2013
The morning started slowly due to the amount of pre race rum consumed in the extended crew briefing.
Simon and Steve came clean about the amount of drink they consumed during the flight, which would explain why they were on fire when they arrived in Barbados.
Breakfast was again a low calorie affair to make sure that we were in the best trim for the race.
We made a few last minute fixes to the boat before we weighed anchor and made for the start line, everything was ready, the five minute signal was issued, and then graham then announced that the one minute countdown had started, confusion reigned as this was one minute before we expected it. We suddenly we realised they we counting down to the one minute time. We arrived at the start to earlier resulting in a quick tack to avoid any penalties.
The run out down the coast went extremely well, we quickly passed green dragon, cutting across the rear of the boat, which led to a number of calls from green dragon.
We made good time to the half way point, then we decided to raise the kite, this ended up wrapped around itself. David had to hand over the helm to help sort out the mess.
The rest of the journey went well and we ended up taking second place out of a field of ten.
20/1/2013
The morning of the jeep adventure around the island, the weather is a bit overcast. Things soon started to improve as the driver pulled out two big jugs of rum punch; this quickly put everybody in good spirit.
Luckily the jeep was fitted with lap seat belt as the of road experience had all of use pitching and rolling about in our seats; evening during this rough ride we managed to keep drinking the punch without any spillages. Great skills showed by all concerned.
Time for lunch and a few beers, having filled our belies we concluded the trip.
Time for a late afternoon nap and swim.


Comments
Vessel Name: Happy Morning
Vessel Make/Model: Sigma 36FR
Hailing Port: MLSC Maldon & Marconi SC, Steeple, UK
Crew: Dave Onyons, Stuart Golding, Mike Duckmanton, Bill Sutters, Simon Onyons
About: A tip top racing team. Ok, I lied about that bit. Just a bunch of fat old farts but we can party with the best of 'em. Living proof that old age and cunning outdoes youth and exuberance (in the bar at least!).
Extra: Looking to have some fun while we still have our own teeth. We have the will to push ourselves that extra mile providing there's pie, chips, and a pint at the other end.
Happy Morning's Photos - Main
Mount Gay Rum - Round Barbados Race 2013
4 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Shots from the journey to the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers
61 Photos
Created 21 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
65 Photos
Created 15 September 2010
Ramsgate to Brighton
26 Photos
Created 15 September 2010