The Adventure Continues...

18 March 2013 | Provo, TCI
11 February 2013 | Provo, Turks and Caicos
07 February 2013 | Landrail Point, Crooked Island
05 February 2013 | Long Cay, Bight of Acklins
22 January 2013 | Snug Corner, Acklins Island
14 January 2013 | Sand Dollar Beach, Georgetown, Bahamas
15 December 2012 | Emerald Bay, Exumas
07 December 2012 | Marina at Emerald Bay, Georgetown, Exumas
03 December 2012 | Warderick Wells, Exuma
26 November 2012 | 25 04.8'N:77 20.9'W
22 November 2012 | New River, Ft. LaLa
04 November 2012 | Ortega River, JAX, FL
25 July 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
19 July 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
06 July 2012 | Ortega River Yacht Club
05 July 2012 | Ortega River Yacht Club
27 June 2012 | Ortega River, Jacksonville, FL
02 June 2012 | Titusville, FL
29 May 2012 | Vero Beach, Fl
25 May 2012 | Palm Beach Gardens, Fl

Clearing In & Moving On

26 November 2012 | 25 04.8'N:77 20.9'W
We departed Ft. LaLa in the evening about 6:30 and headed due east out into the Gulfstream. The Gulfstream was quite lumpy with a residual 3-4 ft. ENE swell and a 2 ft wind chop from the NW. Wind was too light to sail let alone stabilize the boat. Se we rolled our way across, dodging fast-moving freighters and cruise ships. The rolling was particularly uncomfortable for Velcro who tried to maintain his grip on the cockpit cushion to no avail. The boat lurched; the cushion and cat went flying across the cockpit, summarily depositing Velcro on the floor. He was not amused.

Once we got out of the Gulfstream life was good again and we were able to motor sail on to Nassau in calm seas. We rounded the top of the Berry Islands and made a beeline for Nassau.

As the second evening at sea wore on the wind and seas started to build out of the NE. As we approached Nassau Harbor the engine died suddenly. As is typical when these things happen, the wind was pushing us toward some rocks, a small ship was exiting the harbor and we were tired. After 2 failed attempts, Don got the engine running and we entered the harbor without incident. (The engine issue was merely that we forgot to turn off the fuel transfer pump and ran the tank we were using dry. No biggy just bad timing.)

We dropped anchor at the west end of the harbor and slept soundly after a 30 hour passage. We were awakened at dawn to the sound of VERY big propellers. We thought we had chosen a good anchorage..no current, little swell, away from the cruise ship docks. However, we were precariously close to the basin where the cruise ships turned 180 degrees in place in order to back into their slip. The picture is of one of the FIVE ships that came in back to back early in the AM. Fairly intimidating.

After that wake up call's events we pulled up anchor, took on fuel and tied up to a slip at Nassau Yacht Haven. We nervously waited for Customs & Immigration to board the board so we could clear in the country. Nervous because even though we were not smuggling guns, drugs or even live produce into the country our new kitten could have been problematic. You see Kai was a "little" young, according to regulations, to enter the Bahamas. Even though we had gone to a fair amount of trouble and expense to obtain the government's authorization, all the vaccinations and the international health certificate required we were still nervous. He had heard horror stories about pets being quarantined for 6 months or even euthanized. We thought if they got on the boat and saw how tiny Kai was they might scrutinize the forms and see his age.

Finally, after a couple of hours, the two officials showed up, took one look DOWN at the boat and told us to meet them in the marina office to do the paperwork. Since it was low tide, I guess climbing down a ladder to get on the boat just wasn't that appealing to them.

Things went along swimmingly in the office until I mentioned that we were traveling with 2 cats. I tried to hand a fistful of papers to them to which they said, "what you want me to do wid dat, mon? We just finished clearing in FIVE cruise ships!" I said "nothing", taking back the papers with a grin on my face.

So you see, we have low tide and 5 cruise ships to thank for helping us get our little one safely in the country. Welcome to the Bahamas!
Comments
Vessel Name: Straight from the Heart
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Hirsh 45'
Hailing Port: Baltimore, MD
Crew: Maryann Timon & Don Mack
About: We purchased the 1987 Gulfstar in 2005 and have been upgrading her ever since. It hasn't been all work though, we managed to log in about 12,000 nm cruising the east coast, Maine and the Bahamas.
Extra: Additional crew: Velcro, the Prince of Barfness and our newest member, Kai the Bengal Kitten
Social:

The crew and boat

Who: Maryann Timon & Don Mack
Port: Baltimore, MD