The Adventure Continues...

18 March 2013 | Provo, TCI
11 February 2013 | Provo, Turks and Caicos
07 February 2013 | Landrail Point, Crooked Island
05 February 2013 | Long Cay, Bight of Acklins
22 January 2013 | Snug Corner, Acklins Island
14 January 2013 | Sand Dollar Beach, Georgetown, Bahamas
15 December 2012 | Emerald Bay, Exumas
07 December 2012 | Marina at Emerald Bay, Georgetown, Exumas
03 December 2012 | Warderick Wells, Exuma
26 November 2012 | 25 04.8'N:77 20.9'W
22 November 2012 | New River, Ft. LaLa
04 November 2012 | Ortega River, JAX, FL
25 July 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
19 July 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
06 July 2012 | Ortega River Yacht Club
05 July 2012 | Ortega River Yacht Club
27 June 2012 | Ortega River, Jacksonville, FL
02 June 2012 | Titusville, FL
29 May 2012 | Vero Beach, Fl
25 May 2012 | Palm Beach Gardens, Fl

Touring Acklins Island

05 February 2013 | Long Cay, Bight of Acklins
We left Georgetown 18 days ago and went to the outback. The Crooked/Acklind District, as it's called, has been a learning experience. The remoteness of the vast area makes us remember the degree of self-reliance necessary for this type lifestyle. No "help" to call, no services to access, hell..the phones didn't even work on most of Acklins Island. It was over a month between mailboat deliveries but that's OK, once the boat did arrive, the islanders took the crates off the boat and sold their contents right there on the jetty.

We knew how long it had been since the islanders were able to get fresh food so we let them buy first, even after their urging that we should go first, as guests. We scored 4 bananas, 2 onions, a cabbage and a couple pieces of fruit. It was like christmas!

We rented a car one day with our friends on DreamCatcher and HoldFast. Well, actually the school bus driver "loaned" us his wife's car while she was off island. There are no rental cars here. We had a fun day seeing the beautiful coast line, reefs, abandoned salt ponds and a few tiny settlements. We went to the one grocery but they were out of anything fresh and many canned goods.

At last we found theone restaurant on Acklins: Club Rollex. I think we surprised the few people in the restaurant when 6 Yankees walked through the door. But they warmly welcomed us and made a fine lunch. The picture here is of our lunch bill, who needs a real sales ticket when you have a napkin....6 lunches, a few beers, waters and sodas: $70. Having lunch at Club Rollex on Acklins Island: priceless.

The most difficult part of being here has been too much time on the boat. It may sound funny since we live on a boat but not being able to get off the boat but twice in 18 days has been difficult. The wind and squalls just kept coming day after day. Add to that no internet, until today! Anyway, we have enjoyed our time here with our friends but now it is getting near time to split up and go our separate ways. We will stage off Long Cay and leave for the Turks & Caicos by the end of the week....hopefully.
Comments
Vessel Name: Straight from the Heart
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Hirsh 45'
Hailing Port: Baltimore, MD
Crew: Maryann Timon & Don Mack
About: We purchased the 1987 Gulfstar in 2005 and have been upgrading her ever since. It hasn't been all work though, we managed to log in about 12,000 nm cruising the east coast, Maine and the Bahamas.
Extra: Additional crew: Velcro, the Prince of Barfness and our newest member, Kai the Bengal Kitten
Social:

The crew and boat

Who: Maryann Timon & Don Mack
Port: Baltimore, MD