The Adventure Continues...

18 March 2013 | Provo, TCI
11 February 2013 | Provo, Turks and Caicos
07 February 2013 | Landrail Point, Crooked Island
05 February 2013 | Long Cay, Bight of Acklins
22 January 2013 | Snug Corner, Acklins Island
14 January 2013 | Sand Dollar Beach, Georgetown, Bahamas
15 December 2012 | Emerald Bay, Exumas
07 December 2012 | Marina at Emerald Bay, Georgetown, Exumas
03 December 2012 | Warderick Wells, Exuma
26 November 2012 | 25 04.8'N:77 20.9'W
22 November 2012 | New River, Ft. LaLa
04 November 2012 | Ortega River, JAX, FL
25 July 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
19 July 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
06 July 2012 | Ortega River Yacht Club
05 July 2012 | Ortega River Yacht Club
27 June 2012 | Ortega River, Jacksonville, FL
02 June 2012 | Titusville, FL
29 May 2012 | Vero Beach, Fl
25 May 2012 | Palm Beach Gardens, Fl

The Forgotten Coast

14 December 2011
We left Pensacola on the 8th, going offshore overnight to avoid the bridges that would not accommodate our mast height. The weather was clear, the moon was full (a rarity for us!) and the temperature was 29 degrees! We have a full enclosure, a small propane heater and blankets but WE WERE COLD. This is Florida after all....where are the nice warm temps we had been promised?

We arrived in Panama City in time for breakfast at a local diner. Then we took a nap and our friends Frank & Peggy Walker came down to the boat to visit. One of the best things about cruising is meeting great people and making lasting friendships. We met the Walkers in the Exumas about 4 1/2 years ago and have kept in touch ever since. It was wonderful to see them again. Don and Frank repaired/replaced/retrofitted at least three different projects in Frank' stupendous workshop and Peggy and Maryann toured around Panama City. (For the shoppers among us: Panama City has great consignment shops!). Many thanks to the Walkers for their friendship, hospitality and generosity. We hope to see you down island!

Sadly, we left our friends and went briefly offshore to Port St. Joe to re-enter the ICW and head to Appalachicola. We really enjoyed the pristine Jackson and Appalachicola Rivers and found a nice anchorage to spend the night. Today we got to the city of Appalachicola, which by all accounts is the Oyster Capitol of the World. It is a quaint little town with many restaurants to choose from---all featuring oysters to die for! The town is not overdeveloped and features many restored homes that are beautifully kept.

Tomorrow we head for a barrier island and plan to anchor there before heading offshore for the longest leg of our trip so far. We hope to cross from Dog Island
to Tarpon Springs on Friday-Saturday.

Bottom line: this part of Florida is beautiful, not over developed, has pristine waterways, white sand beaches and very friendly people. We just wish we had more time to spend here. It is truly a marvel to discover "Old Florida" right under our noses. That must be why they call it the Forgotten Coast.
Comments
Vessel Name: Straight from the Heart
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Hirsh 45'
Hailing Port: Baltimore, MD
Crew: Maryann Timon & Don Mack
About: We purchased the 1987 Gulfstar in 2005 and have been upgrading her ever since. It hasn't been all work though, we managed to log in about 12,000 nm cruising the east coast, Maine and the Bahamas.
Extra: Additional crew: Velcro, the Prince of Barfness and our newest member, Kai the Bengal Kitten
Social:

The crew and boat

Who: Maryann Timon & Don Mack
Port: Baltimore, MD