Chimbarazo

Round 2…..

14 July 2019 | cape town
29 October 2018 | cape town
27 August 2018 | cape town
06 August 2018 | cape town
03 July 2018 | cape town
18 June 2018 | cape town
25 May 2018 | Cape Town
10 May 2018 | Cape Town
08 May 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
07 March 2018 | cape town
17 February 2018 | cape town
05 February 2018 | hout bay
21 January 2018 | cape town
15 January 2018 | cape town
13 January 2018 | cape town
06 October 2017 | hout bay
03 October 2017 | hout bay
13 September 2017 | Hout bay

More holes…...

12 May 2017 | hout bay
steve
By the 2nd week of April, a fair amount of needle-chipping had been done.....and lots of concern. Oh boy !!

I dont know if I have lost all sense of feeling when it comes to refitting a boat. When ‘issues’ crop up, I kind of roll my eyes - or maybe they glaze over - swear quietly under my breath, and smile.....yep, smile and wave boys. Smile and wave !

So, what now....
Well, quite a bit of rust !

It seems that when the boat was built, or when it was previously refitted (if it ever was), or when it was worked on; they didnt believe in 1 fairly important ‘item’.

Namely, that a boat needs limber holes / adequately sized limber holes.
Boats always get wet inside, and when there is structure impeding the flow of the moisture to the bilge (which is designed lowest point in a boat), ‘ways’ to allow free flow must be devised.
Generally, a hole is drilled thro the structure at the lowest point of the obstruction, thereby allowing free flow !
Oh yes, and if you do drill a hole, it must be of adequate size so that it does not block.....and 5 to 6mm ø is not considered adequate !
And if you are going to build furniture, dont put the back ‘continuosly’ against the structure, creating a water trap !

It seems that none of these ‘considerations’, were high on the agenda !

At least they didnt allow shite to collect in the bilge for pumping out - like in our previous effort at refitting !

A fairly large area of concern was found in the chain locker....and just happened to be at the lowest point of the locker, where the keelson and stringers meet ! ‘Some’ structural and plating work to be done !
It was decided to insert a new sloped locker ‘sole’ just above waterline, with adequate drainage directly overboard. The space below will be utilized for the bow thruster batteries, and switches etc. A new watertight chain locker bulkhead will also be provided.

Next fairly large are of concern is starboard side of the forward heads and cargo hold watertight bulkhead junction. Again some structure, plating and bulkhead to be replaced.

It was around this last area of concern, that we noticed the difference in existing plate finish. We can only assume that some / parts of the plating was adequately prepared, primed and finished, while the rest was.....well, basically.....ignored. This together with the lack of limber holes created a problem !

In the engine room, a few areas with pinholes were found. There were a few areas where plating had rusted but not thro. It was decided to strictly apply the 1/3 rule - ie, if a plate has lost 1/3 or more of its original thickness, it gets replaced. Period.

Many of the areas requiring work, was due to the port lights failing, allowing water in, and with a lack of limber holes etc.....!

Parts of the interior has been prepped and primed. Makes a difference. Most of the exterior changes has also been prepped and primed.

One area of concern that must still be opened up and checked is the aft portlights. we suspect that there will be ‘issues’ as the portlights are also badly crazed. F !

There was a discussion on the possible types of sole finish......but no resolution as yet. Basically, Andrew says the existing flooring is a ‘conglomeration’ of wood fixed to heavy steel frames, random like.

The water tanks have been ‘glued together’, painted and ready for 1st fit.....as soon as the interior is primed etc.

the new forward hatch has to be increased in size. Its just a tad small for my fat derrière, let alone a sail !

We dont expect much to happen until early May because of the Easter weekends etc......
Hopefully by then the needle chipping would be complete. The noise is......bad ! Everyone on site is tense and edgy, and even ear protection isnt helping. I am glad I am only their for an hour or two !!

For images see side link ‘Favourites - More Holes’
Comments
Vessel Name: chimbarazo
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 50 (Cargo version)
Hailing Port: currently Houtbay, South Africa
Crew: Giselle, Steve and Adam
About: Heres to hoping this time round goes well….