Chimbarazo

Round 2…..

14 July 2019 | cape town
29 October 2018 | cape town
27 August 2018 | cape town
06 August 2018 | cape town
03 July 2018 | cape town
18 June 2018 | cape town
25 May 2018 | Cape Town
10 May 2018 | Cape Town
08 May 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
13 April 2018 | cape town
07 March 2018 | cape town
17 February 2018 | cape town
05 February 2018 | hout bay
21 January 2018 | cape town
15 January 2018 | cape town
13 January 2018 | cape town
06 October 2017 | hout bay
03 October 2017 | hout bay
13 September 2017 | Hout bay

Still More…..

12 May 2017 | hout bay
steve
By the easter weekend, some more chipping, more cutting....and not much else.

Two interesting items came up.

First was the ER water intake point.
Currently the boat has a HUGE rising steel pipe which takes of to the ‘sea chest’. Andrew had been in a discussion with a SAMSA surveyor and mentioned that he was working on this boat. Surveyor promptly suggested that the rising inlet gets replaced with a ‘normal / standard’ sea cock.
When asked why, it was explained that for any commercial operation we may want to delve into, that SAMSA would NOT approve this type of inlet as it did not have a shut off mechanism - evidently Spirit of Victoria almost sank as her inlet pipe rusted thro and there was no means to shut off.....!

We discussed replacing the rising inlet with 2 seacocks, to a common sea chest. This would overcome the SAMSA issues, as well as provide alternate inlet point in case of blockage, while maintaining a sea chest system.
Mmmm, something to think about !


The second was a, what we assumed a removable access, screwed onto the forefoot of the keel. We had no idea what it was / was for !
Transpires form the designers drawings, that it is / was an ‘optional’ transducer void. decided that it must be opened up, made sure it was empty, and permanently closed.

While checking this out, we noticed that the keel base was slightly dented. Seems that she has hit something before. Not to worried tho : )

For images see ‘Favourites - Still More.....’
Comments
Vessel Name: chimbarazo
Vessel Make/Model: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 50 (Cargo version)
Hailing Port: currently Houtbay, South Africa
Crew: Giselle, Steve and Adam
About: Heres to hoping this time round goes well….