SV Dawn Treader's Adventures

16 March 2014 | Mazatlan Shopping & Dinner?
16 March 2014 | Marina Fonatur, Mazatlan
11 March 2014 | South Anchorage Mazatlan
11 March 2014 | Ensenada Matanchen, San Blas to South Anchorage Mazatlan.
11 March 2014 | Chacala to Ensenada Matanchen, San Blas
11 March 2014 | Bahia de Jaltemba to Chacala
11 March 2014 | La Cruz to Bahia de Jaltemba
11 March 2014 | To La Cruz, Marina Riviera Nayarit,
11 March 2014 | Paradise Village Marina Welcome Party
11 March 2014 | Paradise Village Resort and Marina, Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit Mexico
11 March 2014 | La Cruz to Paradise Village Marina, Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico.
11 March 2014 | Bahia de Jaltemba to La Cruz
11 March 2014 | Chacala to Bahia de Jaltemba
11 March 2014 | Chacala
11 March 2014 | San Blas to Chacala
11 March 2014 | San Blas
02 March 2014 | Matachen Bay to Marina Fonatur, San Blas
02 March 2014 | Matachen Bay, San Blas
02 March 2014 | Isla Maria Isabella to San Blas
02 March 2014 | Mazatlan to Isla Isabella

New lifting Device for Dinghy and stuff

01 December 2012
I have been dealing with figuring out how to lift stuff onto the fore deck of the boat.
I have the Boom, and a telescoping whisker pole. I made a strap like the belly strap for a horse saddle, using the ratchet straps from a trucker. Watch the shoulder of the roads; I see them all the time. I made it with 3 runs of the straps. I have the triangle shaped rings on the ends. I then put a piece of thick canvas across it so I can use it to hold the tack of my A-Sym Spinnaker. When I put it on the w-pole to lift my dinghy on to the deck, it really put too much strain on the pole. The halyard was on the end of the pole and the pole was attracted to my mast. SO I went out and found a spinnaker pole that would be tough enough to do it. Well, those things be real heavy.
So after some thinking and a few weeks of staring at it, I came up with a mod.
I added another ring to the center on the outside. So now I attach the halyard to the ring on the center, the belt or strap units goes over the pole and the block and tackle attach to the rings on the bottom side. I also have a line running from the top ring to a block on the end of the pole. This line is how I move the belt in and out on the pole. The pole actually doesn’t carry much of any weight now. I can raise the dinghy from the deck and then put it outboard easily without banging the crap out of my lifelines and freeboard like it used to.
I tried lifting the dinghy up and lowering it in the vertical position but that was really a pain in the butt. Not to mention the time I got ‘brained’ by it and almost fell overboard. Think I got a mild concussion from that one. Huge dent in the back of my head, lights went out for a moment, headache ensued for a long bit.. Not to mention the blurry eyesight…
So yep, the dinghy goes over the side and sets into the water horizontally and also I can lift it out during the night when I am at anchor and therefore have less of a chance of losing it to folks who feel like thieving is OK.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Vessel Make/Model: Columbia 45
Hailing Port: Olympia, Washington USA
Crew: Jim
About: Retired, like to laugh and have a good time. Serious when needed, otherwise I am a simple person with simple desires, and needs. I have seen a lot of the world from the inland side of it, now for the coastals.
Extra: Update: I am landlocked now in the Deserts of Arizona