Bookmark and Share
Adventures of North Star
Follow the Adventures of Kim and Steve aboard their yacht North Star!
11/19/2009, The Caves

One of the caves extended back a pretty good distance. We used flashlights to see the surroundings. The ceilings were very high and rugged.

| | More
11/22/2009 | Ruth Anne Johnson
Enjoyed reading your blog. Tried to email you but it won't go through. Praying for your safety. Happy Thanksgiving!
11/19/2009, Normand Island

We left the dock on Tuesday afternoon. The weather is great and the seas are calm. It only took about an hour and we were almost to Normand Island. We decided to stop off at The Indians. This is an area where four large rock formations extend out of the sea. This is normally a very busy and crowded site. Today was an exception. We picked up a mooring ball and spent some times snorkeling and then moved to an anchorage in The Bight. We fell asleep in the cockpit. The breeze was blowing gently, some kind of bird on the island sang all night and the stars were amazing. This is almost a deserted island. One restaurant, a few people and some wild cows, or so we hear. Thursday we snorkeled The Caves and an unmarked site just to the south of this spot and then back to The Bight for dinner and bedtime. Tomorrow, after a dive, we will probably move to Peter Island.

| | More
Caribbean 1500

Scott and Greg were our two crew members that met us in Hampton and made the trip to Tortola. They were both great guys and their knowledge and strengths really added to our first passage in North Star.

| | More
11/16/2009, Sopers Hole

We left a foggy, wet and cold Hampton area around nine am on Monday morning. All six of us were in the cockpit with sailboats and large boat traffic all around us. Within the first four hours we had various crew members sick. We hit the Gulf Stream around five am on Tuesday and as usual it has yet to be a boring area. Crew began to come back to life and the fishing began. Michael caught a wahoo and two mahi in the first few days. We did experience some intermittent rough weather and high seas. No matter what the conditions of the sea and wind the boat did great and felt very comfortable below. After eight bumpy days at sea we finally arrive at Sopers Hole in very dark conditions around eleven pm. We picked up a mooring ball and had a good night sleep. In the morning, Michael and Tim hoisted the Q flag as we waited to clear customs. When all the paperwork was complete we headed for Nanny Cay Marina. We enjoyed several days of camaraderie with the other Caribbean 1500 boats and hope to leave the marina tomorrow. The area had bad weather last night with winds around 60 mph and we heard a tornado hit somewhere on the island. Schools were closed and flooding was a problem. The water in the marina was filled with debris, limbs, trash and dirt, that ran down from the mountains.

| | More
11/19/2009 | Karen
Glad to see all is well! Sorry to hear you had bad weather, just glad everyone is safe!

And a few mahi.

| | More

Michael caught fresh wahoo a few day out on the passage south.

| | More
11/14/2009, Nanny Cay Marina, Tortola BVI

Just a quick note to let everyone know, we are in Tortola, BVI, and everyone is fine. We arrived Wednesday night around 10:30 PM to Soper's Hole where we had to pick up a mooring buoy to wait for customs and immigration in the morning. This was after 1500 miles of ocean passage. We all slept like rocks. Once through immigration we went around to Nanny Cay marina ( Nanny Cay is the host marina for the Caribbean end of the this rally. We all received our awards last night and had the concluding festivities of the rally. Now the boats are all starting to depart for their various destinations in the Caribbean.

We'll be back soon with more info on the passage, photos, etc., soon. But for the last 2 days the internet on the island has been off more than on.

We'll update soon. Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts,

North Star

| | More

Sunset from Blue Water Yachts.

| | More
11/04/2009 | Joanie
Kim and Steve--the office is watching you on your way south on the website't believe how fast you are moving!!!! Everyday we check it out to see how far you have moved. Alicia wants to know if you all can sleep at the same time, or if someone has to be awake at all times. Have you caught any fish yet? You all are in our prayers, and definitely we think of you every day!!!!

Norfolk Naval Station

| | More
Hampton Area

On our way to Hampton we spent a night on the quiet Severn River. Here we saw one of the most beautiful sunsets I think I have ever seen. When we arrived in Hampton the following day we could not find a place to anchor near downtown. We followed the underwater tunnel for cars, passed Fort Wool and spent two nights in Willobough Bay. This was a very unique anchorage because of the close proximity to the Norfolk Navy Station which was located on the far side of the bay. We had all kinds of overhead traffic from Awacs, chinooks, stallions and blackhawks. We even saw six of the new F-22 Vulcans landing. We have been in our slip at Blue Water Yachts since Sunday evening. Boats have been arriving daily for the Caribbean 1500. There have been activities and the kids are staying busy with the group of about 20 other kids that are here. The weather has been anywhere from 50 to 85. We don't know if we need shorts or gloves. We have a skippers meeting tomorrow and as for now the start will be Monday at 12 P.M.

| | More

Newer Posts ]  |  [ Older Posts ]


Powered by SailBlogs