Sailing Oasis

16 February 2022 | Saint Anne, Martinique
14 December 2021 | Grenada
12 January 2021 | Monticello, NY
01 December 2020 | Monticello, NY
31 August 2020 | Grenada
30 June 2020 | Grenada
17 February 2020 | Portsmouth, Dominica
20 December 2019 | Antigua
29 October 2019 | Grenada
30 April 2019 | Grenada
19 March 2019 | Martinique
13 January 2019 | Antigua
30 November 2018 | Les Saintes, Guadalupe
09 November 2018 | Grenada
01 September 2018 | Monticello, NY
30 June 2018 | Monticello, NY
13 January 2018 | Saint Kitts
05 January 2018 | Monserrat
25 November 2017 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
12 November 2017 | St. Lucia

Saint Kitts

13 January 2018 | Saint Kitts
Carol
January 6-13, 2018

We left Antigua on 1/6/18 and headed west to Nevis. The east wind was behind us, so we had a downwind sail all the way. With the waves pushing us, it made for a somewhat rolly ride, and at times we were surfing down the waves doing 11 knots. We arrived at approximately 1:30 p.m., tied up to a mooring ball, and tried to go ashore by dinghy to check in with Customs and Immigration. Unfortunately, there was a big enough swell that made going ashore impossible, and the anchorage was not very comfortable, so we left for St. Kitts (only six miles away) and found a more protected spot to anchor for a few days. St. Kitts and Nevis are separate islands, but one country, so you can check in and out on either island.

The wind has been CRAZY all week, so we've stayed anchored in Ballast Bay, just outside of Christophe Marina, since then. We've taken advantage of their wi-fi and walked around the beautiful grounds of the Christophe Harbor development where they are building million dollar homes. We took a tour of the island with our friends on Kalunamoo, Pandora, and Star Shot. We visited Wingfield Estate with the remains of an old sugar mill and rum distillery; Romney Manor with their beautiful gardens and home of Caribelle Batik, where they dye fabrics using wax to make very colorful designs; and Black Rock with some amazing rock formations formed by the volcano. We've also hiked and snorkeled here in the bay.

There are thousands of monkeys on the island, originally brought here as pets many years ago. It's fun to see them running around in the wild, but they eat all the fruits that grow on the trees. Some people have them as pets and use them to make a few dollars from tourists who want their picture taken holding a monkey. They are very cute with their little diapers on.

Tomorrow, if the winds and seas calm a bit, we will be heading south, stopping at Montserrat again (45 miles), just as an overnight stop before continuing on to Guadalupe (38 miles). Back to the French islands and delicious baguettes and croissants. Can't wait!
Comments
Vessel Name: Oasis
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 48 DS
Hailing Port: Solomons, Maryland, USA
Crew: Robert & Carol Gaiman
About:
So, where to begin... Bob and I grew up in different towns in Sullivan County, NY. Even though we didn't know each other growing up, during our teenage years we both spent our weekends on Swinging Bridge Lake boating and waterskiing with our families. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155458758248740/
Social: