Alibi II

21 December 2019
10 October 2018
08 October 2018
12 September 2018
12 July 2018
12 July 2018
12 July 2018
11 July 2018
06 May 2018
18 March 2018
10 January 2018
08 January 2018
27 December 2017
04 November 2017
11 September 2017
10 September 2017
04 September 2017
01 August 2017

Working at the fish house

20 January 2016
The best part of our winter so far, has been getting out helping with hurricane recovery.

Emile (center in photo, Jimmy from Destiny is on the right) lost both his fishing boat and his fish house. As we did with the fishing boat, we went down to salvage materials that could be reused. This time there were other boats in the harbor so we were able to recruit some help.

In the right hand corner of this photo, you can see a cement structure, all that remains of the fish house, it is about one eighth of the original. That was a freezer, one of several, from which we were to salvage the wood shelving.

We made quick work of that before Emile arrived. Oops, that wasn't the right freezer. The one we were to do was thrown about 100 feet up into the bush. Fortunately the freezer we dismantled had been flooded, so we hadn't done more harm than good.

We were able to hack a path to the correct freezer and salvage that wood. After which, in typical cruiser fashion, we broke for beer.

And in usual Emile fashion, he is smiling. Mind you, here's a guy who lost his fishing boat - essentially his livelihood - and his fish house, yet maintains the attitude that he's a lucky one. Because he and his family survived and their home was fine, he holds that they have been given a second chance at life and best not waste it. Fortunately, he now has another boat and is back out fishing.

It is folks like this that make us believe, no matter how much we do or give, we get more from our efforts than they do.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alibi II
Vessel Make/Model: Allied Seawind II
Hailing Port: Marathon, FL
Crew: Bess and Bill
About: And pups Gussie and Jake
Alibi II's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.