SVAndalucia

11 December 2009
24 August 2009
21 August 2009
19 August 2009
18 August 2009

Moving along

11 December 2009
Steve Hollen
Due to some better "Free" features, our main blog for our travels on the Pacific coast of Mexico is at: http://svandalucia.blogspot.com/

But if you are still interested in the modifications that I have made to the Andalucia, our 1976 Irwin 37, this is the place.

The Old Aft Cabin Bed

24 August 2009
Steve Hollen
I have been asked by other Irwin owners, what have I done to our boat since we bought it. The Short answer is, at lot. Most modifications were made for comfort and added storage and some were made to make our cruising life easier. The following pictures show some of what I have been doing for the last 30 years.
The first one is a picture of the Aft Cabin as it was on the day of Purchase, January 2 1979, with son Tim in the bed.

Aft Cabin Bed Modifications

23 August 2009
Steve Hollen
Picture # 2 is what it looks like today. The aft cabin bed is king size in two directions and still room to get out without killing your mate.

Aft Cabin Cabinet Modifications

22 August 2009
Steve Hollen
Picture #3 is the cabinets I replaced the bench seat with to give us someplace to store bedding and clothes. This cabinet also gives us shelving and walls to place things like A/C and Satellite dish Controls (oh yes, DirecTV).

Remodeled Galley

21 August 2009
Steve Hollen
Though some would say installing Granite counter tops would weigh the boat down too much. I would say keeping my crew in the galley a higher priority. I added drawers where there was a refrigerator, added cabinet doors to store pots and pans and a wine rack over the engine cover (something to keep the champagne in). Finally, though you are never finished, I also moved the facing of all the cabinets away from the bulkheads to allow a table sized plate to lay flat inside (the companion way ladder has been removed for a clearer picture).

Electrical and Electronics

20 August 2009
Steve Hollen
In the Main Salon I have relocated and condensed all the electronics and Electrical controls into one area. So far nothing has given any RF interference problems.
You can also see the porthole treatments that are just wetted in place (no glue) due to too much time in marinas wanting privacy.

New deck hardware

19 August 2009
Steve Hollen
On deck, due to the dismasting, we were given an opportunity to redo the running rigging (we are still trying to figure that all out), so we lead all lines to the cockpit.

New deck hardware

18 August 2009
Steve Hollen
The main mast is now organized with all lines going into the cockpit to allow short handed sailing of the boat. All heavy lift items lead to that Lewmar 44, 2 speed, self tailing winch.
Vessel Name: Andalucia
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 MKIV
Hailing Port: Mazatlan Mexico
Crew: Steve Hollen
About: Steve has owned his Irwin 37 for over 30 years and has cruised in it everywhere you can put a boat from Ensenada to Santa Barbara (including "inside" the Painted Cave). The winter of 2009 he headed south to continue that adventure.
Extra: The AndalucĂ­a is the antipathy of the Pardee Cruising style since she has more toys per foot than any boat, guaranteeing something to fix in some exotic place.

S/V Andalucia

Who: Steve Hollen
Port: Mazatlan Mexico