S/V Avocet

15 November 2010 | San Diego, California
06 November 2010 | Alameda
28 October 2010 | Alameda
25 October 2010 | Alameda, CA
13 October 2010 | Alameda, CA
16 September 2009 | Alameda, CA
02 September 2009 | Alameda, CA
25 August 2009 | Alameda, CA
13 August 2009 | Alameda, CA
09 August 2009 | Alameda, CA
02 August 2009 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2009 | Seattle, WA
28 July 2009 | Seattle, WA

Two weeks to go

25 October 2010 | Alameda, CA
Jeremy
As the flurry of activity continues to peak, bordering on chaos, I am amazed at how Zen like life becomes. Don't think, just do. As the departure date approaches, I become less aware of it. Too much to do, no time to think about it. "Are you ready?" They ask, "Just about." I reply. "What do you have left?" "Just a few things here and there." Really, it's better for both of us if my answers are vague. . .

The galley tile is done, new faucet is in, salt water pump installed, new galley plumbing is in, the shower sump has been replaced, deck drains have been replaced, upgraded the engine room electrical system, and new lighting in the forward and aft cabins is in. Supplies are finding their way on board and gear is being stowed. The crew are making their travel arrangements, routes are studied and guides are consulted.

It will continue. The excitement, the pressure, the uncertainty. The time will come when we top off the tanks, slip off the dock lines, and stow the fenders - I won't be needing those for awhile. The Perkins will rumble and we'll make our way underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. If the wind is kind, we'll hoist the sails, ease off on the throttle, and eventually let the engine rest. The city noise will fade away, and the sound of wind, waves, and gulls will be deafening. And then we'll be on our way. . .

But before then, just a few things here and there left to do. . .
Comments
Vessel Name: Avocet
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37
Hailing Port: Shilshole
Crew: Jeremy Fox

Who: Jeremy Fox
Port: Shilshole