S/V Avocet

15 November 2010 | San Diego, California
06 November 2010 | Alameda
28 October 2010 | Alameda
25 October 2010 | Alameda, CA
13 October 2010 | Alameda, CA
16 September 2009 | Alameda, CA
02 September 2009 | Alameda, CA
25 August 2009 | Alameda, CA
13 August 2009 | Alameda, CA
09 August 2009 | Alameda, CA
02 August 2009 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2009 | Seattle, WA
28 July 2009 | Seattle, WA

Departure Day

30 July 2009 | Seattle, WA
Jeremy
Avocet will be underway with this evening's tide. I feel I should have more to say about it but I am at a loss.

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of speaking with an older gentleman about his adventures at sea. He and two close friends sailed an old wooden sailboat thousands of miles across the Caribbean and Southern Ocean. It was amazing to hear of his experiences along the way - The joy of new found friends, the wonder of interesting places, culture, and customs, and even the terror of being attacked by a whale. Here was a man who has lived more in his time on earth than so many and I feel it is a privilege to have known him and listened to his stories. The wisdom of a man like this can only come from such experiences. It is the way of these things. . .

The next day I held a baby girl who had been here for just five days. I couldn't help but think of the potential in this little person and wondered about the life she would lead. This girl, who lay sleeping in my arms, had no idea of the sacrifices already made for her. She couldn't begin to comprehend the number of friends and family who already loved her and what they are willing to do for her. The support and dedication to her life , by so many, will go unnoticed and unappreciated for so long. . . It is just the way of these things.

In thinking about these two special lives, I find myself somewhere in the middle. I look back on the things I have done, the experiences I have had, and the people I have known. I see my past, the friends and family I have shared it with, and the love and support they have given me. I look to my future in wonder and excitement of what it will bring. Confidence and courage built on a solid foundation of naivety - but with more support than I am yet aware. I guess it is just the way of these things. . .

My thanks to all those who have been there in the past. My thanks to all those who are here now. My thanks for everything that is to come. You have all been, and will be, a part of wherever I may go and whatever I may do.
Comments
Vessel Name: Avocet
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37
Hailing Port: Shilshole
Crew: Jeremy Fox

Who: Jeremy Fox
Port: Shilshole