Cruising with Cadenza

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special." Steel Magnolias

26 February 2023
06 July 2022 | Off the coast of Massachusetts
17 April 2022
17 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
01 February 2022 | Barra de Navidad
08 January 2022 | Banderas Bay
18 December 2021 | Nuevo Vallarta
14 December 2021 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
15 April 2021 | Chincoteague Island
11 January 2021 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
04 August 2020 | Katama Bay
09 May 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
24 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
14 April 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
07 April 2020 | Martha's Vineyard
30 March 2020 | Edgartown, Massachussetts
06 February 2020
03 February 2020 | Chamela Bay, Mexico
28 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba
21 December 2019 | Havana, Cuba

The Lonely Catboat

04 December 2016
Terri Potts-Chattaway
December 4, 2016

It was mid-October. The weather was changing. Autumn was well on its way. Storms were becoming more frequent. And, as you can see from the photograph, most of the boats had already been taken out of the water. There were only about a half-dozen left bobbing on their moorings. SkipJack was one of them. She looked lonely out there, weaving from side to side as the wind and current directed her bow. All things considered, Jay and I decided it was time to put her to bed for the winter.

The logistics of getting SkipJack to Vineyard Haven, and us back home, are a bit complicated. We could have Martha's Vineyard Shipyard (MV Shipyard) simply pick her up and tow her back. But, Jay and I like to sail her whenever possible and this was just another chance to get out on the water.

We walked the mile and a quarter to the landing where we keep our dinghy stored on the beach. From there, we took the dinghy out to SkipJack and prepared her for the journey. We tied the dinghy to the back of the boat and drove SkipJack over to a nearby, private dock (The neighbors were absent at the time.) The wind was favorable and we were able to tie up easily. I unleashed the dinghy and Jay rowed her back to the beach where we would pick her up later. He walked onto the dock and boarded SkipJack. We were off.

We made a quick pit stop at the fuel dock and ordered a couple of gallons, just in case. As it turned out, it was a good thing. As usual, once out of Edgartown Harbor and having set course, we found ourselves heading straight into the wind. Unfortunately, it was mostly a motor sail. Still, it was good to be out in the catboat, viewing the island from the water. We knew it was our last "sail" of the season and so enjoyed the ride.

Vineyard Haven is approximately eight nm from Edgartown, which is about a two-hour excursion at four knots. As we neared the entrance to the harbor, our course changed and suddenly we were cruising on a beam reach as we headed toward port. A fine gift from Mother Nature for our last sail of the season. We tied up to the mooring where MV Shipyard's launch brought us back to land. From there, we walked several blocks to the ferry terminal and caught a bus back to Edgartown. The island transit system is very convenient and dropped us off at the head of our street. Jay and I commented on how similar our day was to one we would spend in Mexico; finding our way about without the use of a car.

A couple of weeks later, Jay received an email from the shipyard. It seems they have deemed our outboard motor old with a multitude of issues. One of which is water in the gear case, most likely from a bad seal. Our boat is a 1979 Herreshoff America catboat with a six HP Johnson that sits in a well. Finding an engine that will fit in the well could present a challenge. Jay began his research. And in doing so, decided we had to go visit SkipJack in the boatyard. He said, to measure the well. I suspect he just missed her.

MV Shipyard dry-docks some of their inventory on an acre of land near the airport. Yesterday, Jay and I drove over there to see if we could find SkipJack and measure the well. While we drove inland, I noticed the ever-changing landscape on the island.

The Scrub Oaks were virtually bare, revealing homes I had no idea were there. The sun sat low in the sky, playing hide and go seek with the white billowing clouds moving briskly through the air. When the sun wins, it casts a warm glow over the water in the lagoon. When it loses, shadows hover, causing the atmosphere to grow heavy. A golden blanket of leaves covered the grown. Step on it and it will break into dust. I peeked through the barren woods for signs of deer or wild turkeys. They were hiding. Smartly, as it is hunting season. Vineyarders are warned to wear bright orange when walking through the forest. Jay and I think it prudent to find long stretches of wide open beaches to hike rather than take our chances with hungry hunters.

Jay pulled off to the side of the road and parked. We exited the car and walked through the fencing, ignoring the "No Trespassing" sign. Boats of all shapes and sizes were packed onto this tiny piece of property, tightly shrink-wrapped in white material with big black letters stating their names. There were some sailboats, but mostly power boats. Before I realized it, Jay went one way and I another. We moved under boats, squeezed between boats and around stands where boats were perched, precariously. "Terri?" Jay yelled.

"Over here!" I answered. But where was over here? I was getting lost in the maze with no sight of SkipJack anywhere. Feeling a little unnerved (Could one of these boats fall on me?) and a bit claustrophobic, I headed back to the car. Jay soon followed and we left without finding our catboat or getting our measurements.

Back home, I did find my deer. Three of them. It was dusk and they ran through our backyard. I was looking out the window while on the phone with my brother when I spotted them. I squealed in delight! Silently, I wished them luck in their freedom.

Meanwhile, Jay was back perusing the internet, ordering supplies for Cadenza. We will fill an entire suitcase with items more easily found in the states than Mexico: inner tubes for our Danard dinghy wheels; solar showers; patches for the dinghy; an impeller; an American flag and a Mexican flag; bungee hooks; and even a plastic ice cube tray. He checked online and found photographs of Cadenza taken by our friends in Puerto Vallarta. He looked longingly at those photos. I'm beginning to think Jay is like the "man without a country." Only, he is a man without a boat. He has put one boat to bed while another one sleeps in its berth, waiting for our arrival.

On second thought, maybe the title of this blog shouldn't have been "The Lonely Catboat." Maybe it should have been called, "The Lonely Sailor."

Eleven days and counting, honey.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cadenza
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin 45' Ketch
Hailing Port: Malibu, California
Crew: Jay Chattaway, Terri Potts-Chattaway
About: Jay has owned Cadenza for over 20 years. He originally bought her in La Paz, Mexico (known as Mercury One and before that as Mar y Vent) and brought her up to the Channel Islands. Terri fell in love with sailing and Cadenza over ten years ago and she has been a labor of love ever since.
Extra:
The Plan: We are to leave Channel Islands Harbor the beginning of September, 2013 and head to San Diego for a few months of prep and family time. Next, we leave for La Paz (we love it there) the beginning of November. We will winter out of La Paz, exploring the Sea of Cortez. This is the first [...]
Cadenza's Photos - Main
13 Photos
Created 21 February 2019
15 Photos
Created 19 February 2017
13 Photos
Created 13 February 2017
12 Photos
Created 5 January 2017
16 Photos
Created 27 December 2016
14 Photos
Created 5 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
25 Photos
Created 28 March 2016
10 Photos
Created 27 March 2016
13 Photos
Created 17 March 2016
7 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
13 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
12 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
8 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
12 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
7 Photos
Created 13 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
6 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
16 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
La Paz to Mazatlan
12 Photos
Created 28 January 2015
13 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
12 Photos
Created 18 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
20 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
10 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 16 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
11 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
18 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
12 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
16 Photos
Created 9 January 2014
10 Photos
Created 2 January 2014
24 Photos
Created 30 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
9 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
10 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
8 Photos
Created 21 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 20 December 2013
12 Photos
Created 17 December 2013
13 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
19 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 9 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 14 November 2013
15 Photos
Created 11 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
25 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
13 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
26 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 7 October 2013
11 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 11 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2013