Sailing with Celestial's Tripp

We are a Tripp 47 racing boat turned cruiser that we bought in Maine in 2009. We sailed it through the Panama Canal and up to Seattle then back to Mexico and over to Hawaii in 2012.

29 April 2020 | mazatlan
08 January 2020 | Punta Mita
08 January 2020 | Bahia Santa Maria
14 December 2019 | Ensenada
14 December 2019 | Guillermo's yard, Ensenada
14 December 2019 | Ensenada
14 November 2019 | Ensenada enada
27 February 2019
27 February 2019
27 February 2019
27 February 2019 | Punta Mida and beyond
27 February 2019 | San Jose del Cabo
04 February 2019 | Baja
04 February 2019 | Ensenada
27 January 2019 | Barra de Navidad
09 August 2016 | Shearwater on Denny Island, CA
09 August 2016 | Klemtu, CA

More on Mazatlan and now La Paz

05 December 2011 | La Paz
Scott / Lots of wind and waltzing
We spent a fun week in Mazatlan getting caught up with the Seattle cruisers that were in Mexico a whole year ahead of us. The one resort we visited had lots of iguanas just 'hanging out'. On Thursday, the 24th, we volunteered at the Vina/Vine Church and helped build 300 tortas/ sandwiches and distributed them to the "Displaced people of the dump". It was a humbling experience to see people in such dire-straights that they subsist on garbage scrounging in a stinking Mexican landfill. It was especially poignant as it was on Thanksgiving Day and our turkey dinner that evening seemed to be a special blessing. Also,(Donna mentions)there was a hospital that they are building close to the dump that has been worked on for over 3 years and not finished. I wish they’d use these people to do manually labor and get it finished, but what do I know?

After the week, we said goodbye to our friends and motored out into the Sea of Cortez with slowing building wind and seas on the nose. Later that night we rediscovered the joy of slamming into the short steep waves of this sea. Sailing into Los Muertos Bay at midnight was interesting, but the next day was great as we swam, kayaked and sat in the sun. That night we watched the third in Donna’s series of Christmas movies (Christmas in Connecticut).

As these things sometimes go, the beautiful calm, warm and friendly bay during the day became an angry maelstrom of rolly sea, broken eggs and crashing dishes. In all our years at sea, this may have been the worst night yet. We left before dawn as it was more comfortable to be at sea, go figure! Sailing into La Paz was great as we tried to remember how it was 23 years ago when we first sailed here.

Sunday they had a great festival right in the Marina to support children of La Paz and we won two raffle prizes! Unfortunately, the wind kicked up after we left the boat and we heard the announcer saying the boat Celestial went on a 'walkabout'. We dragged onto the side of a sand bar but were able to back up and get into the deep water again with no repercussions.

Club Cruceros is the local hangout (www.clubcruceros.org) where you can get help with whatever you need at the 9:30 coffee.

This is the 2nd windy night and they predict a week of this weather with gusts up to 25mph even in the harbor. La Paz is famous for it's waltz. When the winds kick up one direction and the currents pull you in another direction, boats dance around each other so you always have that to look forward to as well.
Comments
Vessel Name: Celestial
Vessel Make/Model: Tripp 47
Hailing Port: Mere Point, Maine
Crew: Scott and Donna Hansen
About: On our first boat in 1977 Scott said, "One day I'd like to sail around the world." We did that from 1988 to 1996 on a J-36. Now we own our 4th boat, a Tripp 47 'Celestial' that we are retiring on.
Extra:
We sailed from Maine in 2009 to Panama, up to Seattle, back down to Mexico and over to Hawaii in 2012. 2013 we went to NZ, Aust. and the South Pacific returning to Hawaii in 2015. In 2016 we sailed to Alaska and back to the Northwest. We kept our boat in Portland until April 2018 when Scott and [...]
Social: