Sailing with Celestial's Tripp

We are a Tripp 47 racing boat turned cruiser that we bought in Maine in 2009. We sailed it through the Panama Canal and up to Seattle then back to Mexico and over to Hawaii in 2012.

29 April 2020 | mazatlan
08 January 2020 | Punta Mita
08 January 2020 | Bahia Santa Maria
14 December 2019 | Ensenada
14 December 2019 | Guillermo's yard, Ensenada
14 December 2019 | Ensenada
14 November 2019 | Ensenada enada
27 February 2019
27 February 2019
27 February 2019
27 February 2019 | Punta Mida and beyond
27 February 2019 | San Jose del Cabo
04 February 2019 | Baja
04 February 2019 | Ensenada
27 January 2019 | Barra de Navidad
09 August 2016 | Shearwater on Denny Island, CA
09 August 2016 | Klemtu, CA

Celestial sails once more

03 December 2013 | From Honolulu,Kaneohe, Kaunakakai and now Lahaina L
Today its sunny but we had lots of rain
Sorry about the no updates. I started one 2x so far! We 'played' in Honolulu until the end of October keeping up with Friday night races at the yacht club and the GREAT America’s Cup. Scott has been working on getting the single sideband radio working and made a cabinet for my clothes so the boat is being updated also. Now that we have our daughter sailing with us, we bought a two man paddle/kayak so the three of us can go 'have fun'. Left Nov. 4 for Kaneohe Bay and anchored out 2x and was at the YC for 10 days. We were given some tennis rackets so we had fun with them. Also love Kaneohe's pool, snack bar and great showers despite some pretty good rainfalls. Had a few friends come to see us since it isn’t too out of the way for city folk. The yacht club is $25 a day since we belong to one back home.

We crossed 50 miles over to Molokai, stopping at Lono Harbor for a few nights. There isn’t anything there but got to do some snorkeling on the outside of the breakwater. We first stopped there in 1983! Then we stopped at Kaunakakai where a friend lets us tie up beside him. We have anchored out but the swinging area is pretty small. We had a quiet Thanksgiving here but spoke to family at home so that was nice. My mom is in Hospice so I'm waiting to see if I fly home before we leave for the South Pacific in January.

Next was Honolua, Maui, 25 miles away. As usual, we watch the weather and choose quieter times to cross the channels. It's time for the whales to be coming around but didn't see any so far.

We met up with our NEW In-laws Margo and Jim at Honolua. It's a short walk from the road down a beautiful trail to get to the best snorkeling on Maui! We didn’t have our dinghy unloaded or the engine tested so we just used our paddle/kayak board to go in. They had said they didn’t want to go snorkeling but once they got there, they were gung-ho to go out to see the boat so we got them out there with two trips and wet buns! Be sure to check out our photo gallery for some great underwater shots.

Ten miles further up the coast, we spent the night at Mala Wharf. It took some pulls to get the outboard for the dinghy going. We figured out it has been a year and two days since it was last used!! Between going home for Christmas last year, going on our skipper job from Feb to June going from Panama to Mexico then flying back to Seattle for our son’s wedding and daughter’s college graduation, we haven’t needed it!

Want to spend some tourist time on the big island for Celeste. But first some fun time in Lahaina. Of course the roadstead will be rocky and roly but we won’t stay long.
Comments
Vessel Name: Celestial
Vessel Make/Model: Tripp 47
Hailing Port: Mere Point, Maine
Crew: Scott and Donna Hansen
About: On our first boat in 1977 Scott said, "One day I'd like to sail around the world." We did that from 1988 to 1996 on a J-36. Now we own our 4th boat, a Tripp 47 'Celestial' that we are retiring on.
Extra:
We sailed from Maine in 2009 to Panama, up to Seattle, back down to Mexico and over to Hawaii in 2012. 2013 we went to NZ, Aust. and the South Pacific returning to Hawaii in 2015. In 2016 we sailed to Alaska and back to the Northwest. We kept our boat in Portland until April 2018 when Scott and [...]
Social: