Murphy's Great Adventure

This is the story of Murphy the sailor dog and his adventures by sea and land.

14 November 2012 | Charleston City Marina
09 November 2012 | Awendaw Creek
08 November 2012 | Waccamaw River
02 November 2012 | Carolina Beach, NC
29 October 2012 | New Bern, NC
27 October 2012 | Grand Hotel Marina, New Bern, NC
24 October 2012 | Oriental, NC
22 October 2012 | Tuckahoe Point, Alligator River
20 October 2012 | Elizabeth Cith
19 October 2012 | Goat Island, Pasquotank
18 October 2012 | Dismal Swamp
17 October 2012 | Hospital Point
16 October 2012 | Jackson Creek, Piankatank
07 May 2012 | Baby Owl Cove
07 April 2011 | Lancaster VA
13 March 2011 | Home on the Chesapeake
11 November 2010 | Home on the Chesapeake
29 April 2010 | Jackson Creek
28 April 2010 | Portsmouth North Ferry Landing
27 April 2010 | Dismal Swamp Canal, North Lock

Getting Grounded

06 November 2009 | Carolina Beach, NC
We left bright and early this morning from Camp Lejeune. Murphy didn't get another shore trip so we promised him a quick day and an early afternoon trip to shore. Ha.
The day was mostly uneventful. but we fought current the whole day and were reminded how slow we are in the face of a 2 knot current. As we went through each inlet the current would switch, our spirits would rise and then it would just as quickly reverse. Oh well. We also had 3 bridges to contend with but fortunately the wait for each wasn't all that bad until we got to Wrightsville Beach. At this point, between the wind and current we had a 2 knot push and a half hour wait so we got to do the bridge wait and circle. One of the cruiser's that we'd been traveling was about an hour behind and unfortunately ventured into the shallows on the north side of the bridge. As of 5, they were still there. A Towboat had been there since 2 o'clock trying to free them. Ouch.
We went on to Carolina Beach to try a new anchorage for us. Murph had not been to shore since last evening, so we were anxious to get the dinghy down and the dog to shore. What's that old expression about "Haste, makes....." As we slowly explored the edges of the anchorage, the ground jumped up and we were stuck, hard. We tried kedging, we tried pulling the mast over, we tried waking with the dinghy, we were stuck. It was almost low tide so we resigned ourselves to tipping a bit and waiting for the tide to rise. Jim left with Murph for the long awaited shore time and two fisherman with a nice big motor showed up and asked if we wanted help. I called Jim back pronto and with a few tugs with real horsepower, we were off. Hooray. We quickly anchored in deeper water and as I speak, Friday night pizza is in the oven.
We are also listening to the news for the first time in days. Guess our problems are really minor. Our thoughts go out to the servicemen and families at Fort Hood.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charm
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 38
Hailing Port: Lancaster, VA
Crew: Jim & Kathy Bearden
About: The first mate is Murphy, the sailor dog. Murphy is a 4 (now 6) year old Irish Terrier that would probably rather be on terra firma but doesn't want to be left behind. tali and Nikki our kitties serve as moral support for Murphy but are pretty clueless as to what the trip is about

Who: Jim & Kathy Bearden
Port: Lancaster, VA