Murphy's Great Adventure

This is the story of Murphy the sailor dog and his adventures by sea and land.

14 November 2012 | Charleston City Marina
09 November 2012 | Awendaw Creek
08 November 2012 | Waccamaw River
02 November 2012 | Carolina Beach, NC
29 October 2012 | New Bern, NC
27 October 2012 | Grand Hotel Marina, New Bern, NC
24 October 2012 | Oriental, NC
22 October 2012 | Tuckahoe Point, Alligator River
20 October 2012 | Elizabeth Cith
19 October 2012 | Goat Island, Pasquotank
18 October 2012 | Dismal Swamp
17 October 2012 | Hospital Point
16 October 2012 | Jackson Creek, Piankatank
07 May 2012 | Baby Owl Cove
07 April 2011 | Lancaster VA
13 March 2011 | Home on the Chesapeake
11 November 2010 | Home on the Chesapeake
29 April 2010 | Jackson Creek
28 April 2010 | Portsmouth North Ferry Landing
27 April 2010 | Dismal Swamp Canal, North Lock

Against the Wind, Part IV

13 April 2010 | Factory Creek, Beaufort, SC
You think the titles are getting monotonous? So do we. However, it's either sit or slog onwards so off we go. Today we crossed the Savannah River and in doing so crossed the SC state line. As we crossed the river, the AIS alarmed so we had forewarning of a pilot boat traveling at close to 30kts up the river. Those guys really fly and we were glad to have a little extra notice before we "looked both ways" and crossed the river.
Heavy 15-20 kt winds on the nose are no fun and really slow you down, especially in the big sounds when the waves kick up a bit. However, every now and again you can make a turn that puts you off the wind a bit and it's time for a little fun. Today we actually got to sail a little as we turned more north than north-east up the Beaufort River and put out the jib in 18 kt winds. We were soon on our ear, but that was OK with everyone but Murphy. Charm and we were glad to be sailing and Murphy finally relaxed and took up his usual station on the low side. Tali was mostly oblivious to the change in the horizon and Nikki took to her bed below decks.
We had to stall a while before going through the ever-cantankerous Ladys Island Swing Bridge at Beaufort, SC. It has reduced it's openings to once an hour and we were trying for the old openings on the half-hour. However, the wind had laid a little so we just did lazy circles in front of the bridge until the appointed hour arrived.
Once through the bridge we picked our way into Factory Creek. Another entrance shoal, this time with only 2 ft under the keel. However, it's low tide so we'll be able to get back out just fine. It's a new anchorage for us and I'm not sure we'll use it again. It was too narrow for Tropical Breeze's liking and they went on another few miles to Brickhill Creek. The appeal of this anchorage over the one they were headed for was dog walking. Factory Creek has a public boat ramp, Brickhill Creek is all private. However, the boat ramp was right next to a busy highway so the dog walking wasn't so hot and the creek is so sheltered that the no-see-ums are relentless. Oh well, it's good to try new places as you never know when you'll need someplace in a pinch and the devil you know is sometimes better than the one you don't.
The picture shows a little low-tide traveling. At least you can clearly see where not to go!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charm
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 38
Hailing Port: Lancaster, VA
Crew: Jim & Kathy Bearden
About: The first mate is Murphy, the sailor dog. Murphy is a 4 (now 6) year old Irish Terrier that would probably rather be on terra firma but doesn't want to be left behind. tali and Nikki our kitties serve as moral support for Murphy but are pretty clueless as to what the trip is about

Who: Jim & Kathy Bearden
Port: Lancaster, VA