S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL


14 October 2010 | Little Sodus Bay
Well, we left Wilson. Some days (many days) it felt like this would never happen. Of course there is still a list of things to be done on the boat, but we and everything we own are now aboard. Even now, after all the good-byes, after selling both our cars, it doesn't feel real. I'm hoping I start to feel like a cruiser by the time we get to Florida.

We left at 4:30 PM and decided to go right through the night. I can't say sail, because in the end the whole trip was motoring. We started with almost no wind and flat water, and that was the forecast for the night and today; however, the wind built to as much as 17 knots (right on the nose, which always happens when you have to get a particular place by a particular time) and the waves got to about 3 feet. 3-foot waves may sound trivial, but when you are venturing out for the first time with your dinghy lashed on the foredeck, the outboard and stern anchor on the stern rail, 5 Jerry cans of fuel at the mast pulpit, and the partly assembled frame for carrying your mast lashed on the aft deck along with a spare anchor, 3 foot waves are worrisome. Happily the boat and all it's deck trash came through just fine.

The photo is of our first dawn as cruisers. It was a pretty sunrise, and very welcome. I came on watch at about 5:30 and the photo was taken about two hours later. Soon enough the clouds hid the sun, the photo of the boat at the dock in Little Sodus (in the Gallery) was taken in the middle of the afternoon, though it looks like twilight.

The crew is very tired and very cold. Bud and the dog are now napping. Bud didn't sleep much the night before we left and didn't sleep at all last night. He went below from 8:30 to almost midnight and from 5:30 until about 9:00 AM, but didn't really sleep. I probably slept for about 2 and a half hours between midnight and 5 AM. I'm not sure how cold it got, but I was going to make an entry in our log and read my book once it got light out, but was too cold to do anything but sit with my hands in my pockets and make sure nothing was going wrong on or around the boat. Both Bud and I wore full foul weather gear all night.

Poor Fuzzy refused to use his Pup-Head portable dog potty. He went the whole 19 hours without peeing. I took him for a nice long walk when we got here. We had fed him a light supper, so after the walk Bud gave him several doggy snacks. Bud is trying to associate sailing with good things in Fuzzy's head. I'm not sure the dog is buying it.

Tomorrow we need to do laundry, change the oil, and do as much more of the mast frame as can be done without the mast down. Tomorrow it's supposed to be windy, and if it actually is, we won't be able to step the mast. If that's the case it will get done Saturday. Then we need to wait for a weather window to make the dash across the 13 miles of lake to Oswego with the mast down on the frame on deck. We do not want to do that with any rough water. Oswego is where we'll enter the canal. So, I'll post more when it happens.
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010