Baby It's Cold Outside
22 October 2010 | Brewerton, NY
A short run today and a short entry, too. We went from Phoenix to Brewerton, from the free dock to another Marina, Ess Kay, recommended by Jon and Arline. It's only about 12 miles and one lock, but we planned for that. It was supposed to be cold, possibly snow (that is something very close to snow on the cockpit cushions) and very windy. For the short trip here there was no wind, until we were about a half-mile from the end. Suddenly the wind came up. We needed fuel and a pump out and a dock, and of course we got to do all of that in the wind.
A highlight of the day was rescuing a frog in the lock. Bud realized the poor thing was trapped in the lock. I tried to reach him with my makeshift boat hook, but even extended all the way out I couldn't. But as we started out of the lock and were passing him, I reached down with the fuzzy part of the paint roller/boat hook, and he grabbed right on to it. I pulled him up on deck and then managed to get him in my cupped hands. When we got out of the lock where there was a swampy edge to the canal I leaned way over and let him plop back in the water. The last we saw he was headed for the swampy edge and hopefully some nice mud for hibernating.
Oh yes ...the air bubbles are still with us. The nice folks here gave us a few more suggestions; we've added a second hose clamp to all the places where there are hose clamps in the supply side. Bud decided there might be strain on the short piece of hose between the two filters, so he replaced that with a loop to relieve any strain. The folks here gave us the number for Racor tech support. I called them, from my description he said it definitely sounded like a vacuum leak, and the only place left is the junction between the part that holds the filter element and the clear bowl below it on the filters. We haven't found anyone who sells the replacement gaskets, so the Racor folks are sending four to us at the Waterford post office. If we can get the boat to run the next 150 miles to the end of the canal, we will pick them up there. Again, no charge! All we've paid for so far is the hose clamps. If we do manage to fix this it will be the most time and least money we've ever spent on a boat fix. (Usually we manage to spend lots of time and money on boat fixes.)
Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer with very little wind, so we hope to be able to cross Oneida Lake. We'll see, we might make some serious miles if the weather and engine both cooperate.