S/V Earendil

21 May 2016 | Snead Island Boat Works, Manatee River
11 April 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
17 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
02 March 2016 | Crow's Nest Marina, Venice, FL
21 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
17 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
16 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
15 February 2016 | Gulf Harbor Marina, Fort Myers, FL
13 February 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
31 January 2016 | Ft. Meyers Beach Mooring Field
25 January 2016 | Burnt Store Marina, FL
21 January 2016 | Platinum Point Yacht Club, Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor Florida
20 January 2016 | Sarasota Mooring Field
28 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
16 December 2015 | Regatta Pointe Marina, Palmetto, FL
06 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
02 December 2015 | Gulfport Municipal Marina, Gulfport, FL
30 November 2015 | Clearwater Harbor Marina, Clearwater, FL
28 November 2015 | Moorings Marina, Carrabelle, FL

Happy Hour at the Exuma Land and Sea Park

19 February 2011 | Warderick Wells Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
Every Saturday evening there is a Happy Hour at the beach nearest park headquarters on Warderick Wells Cay. We checked our larder for a dish to bring and found little there. But, we still had three nice butternut squash we bought before we left Wilson. So Bud got the great idea that I should make squash tarts.

It was a good idea, except that it took me all day in our little galley. I cut and cooked one squash last night so it would be cool to work with. Then this morning I skinned it and mashed it. Then I made the pie dough. I used our silicon cupcake pans and used an empty cream cheese container to cut the circles. Once the dough was made and the first 12 tarts formed, I finished mixing the filling. I couldn’t get our hand mixer to work (I’d bent it trying to use it to mash potatoes) so I had to use a whisk to mix the squash, milk and eggs together. I beat it for a long time but there were still lumps and strings from the squash. Bud helped me run the filling through a colander, and then I took the squash pulp that wouldn’t pass through the colander and mashed it through a wire strainer. Eventually I had it smooth.

I made 24 tarts, but had to bake them in two batches because I only had 2 cupcake pans that made 6 cupcakes each. Besides, the little oven in the galley would only hold the 2 small pans. There was still more pie dough and more filling, so I used a small stainless bowl and made a little pie. By the time everything was baked it was mid-afternoon. We ended up just cleaning up the boat and cleaning up ourselves and calling it a day.

We decided to run the generator and heat some water (and charge the batteries) and take showers on the boat. The generator had only been running about 10 minutes and the batteries were charged. The wind generator is really doing well supplying us with power. We hadn’t had any other power source besides the solar panels since we left Nassau Monday morning. We still haven’t moved the solar panels off the lifelines, so I’m not sure how effective they are, but the Super Wind has been doing great!

I was glad after all that work that the squash tarts were a hit. It was fun meeting and talking to another group of cruisers. We saw people we’d seen at White Cay in the Berries, people we were docked near in Nassau, and people we’d just talked to on the radio.

As it got dark the hutia came out. They are the only mammal native to these islands; they look like over sized hamsters with rats’ tails. They are very tame here in the park and were walking right up among the people looking for scraps. I was holding Fuzzy and he was growling and wriggling in my arms; he wanted to get at those hutia. I managed to get a picture of one even though it was now dark. I added it to the gallery (along with a shot of my squash tarts).

I think we’re leaving tomorrow. It’s frustrating because I ended up not snorkeling at all. Yesterday afternoon clouded up and it was really too cool. Today would have been perfect, but I was up to my elbows in squash tarts. Oh well, next time, next place.
Vessel Name: Earendil
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Wilson, New York USA
Crew: Bud Campbell & Jill Bebee
About: We are a newly retired couple about to embark for points south. Our crew includes our 14 year old toy poodle, Knaidel, better known as Fuzzy. He is a somewhat reluctant crew member, but would rather sail than stay without us.
Earendil's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
4 Photos
Created 27 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2013
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2013
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
85 Photos
Created 6 January 2013
51 Photos
Created 23 June 2012
13 Photos
Created 28 April 2012
120 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
75 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
91 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
31 Photos
Created 1 December 2011
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2011
59 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
138 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
2 Photos
Created 1 October 2010