Living by the Weather
16 March 2011 | Farmer’s Cay Yacht Club, Little Farmer’s Cay
We're leaving for Georgetown tomorrow. It's the one weather window in the next week. We had originally planned to stop at a marina about 5 miles this side of Georgetown and do the wash and get water. But we heard that you could only get in or out that entrance when there wasn't much wind from the east. If we went there tomorrow, we'd be stuck for the better part of a week paying for a dock. So instead we'll go all the way to Georgetown and anchor. And we're doing another load of laundry here. It's not much of a laundry, but you have to pay for the water and electricity, so it's still $7 a load to wash and dry. We also bought 55 gallons of water ($0.40/gal), which we've brought on board in 5-gallon containers, 2 or 3 at a time. But it's a very short dinghy ride here and we may have up to a mile to go to get to town from the better anchorages in Georgetown, so better to schlep all this stuff back and forth here.
Chris Parker, the weather guru of these parts, is saying there might be a new weather pattern starting the end of next week, with more mild weather and lighter winds. If so, we can go to the marina then. That will be on our way out of Georgetown. Out to where, we're not sure yet. If there are mild weather intervals and periods of time with no strong fronts, we'll probably head east and then north and do some of the more remote islands (Conception Island, Cat Island and Eleuthera).
We're still waiting to hear where our daughter is going for her residency, and hoping she has an answer soon. In any case, we think we'll be working our way back to the US, and will not take off for good until at least next fall.
And we're looking for a marina somewhere to have some work done on the boat during the summer. We'd like to keep it as far south as possible, to avoid having to go up and come back down the ICW, but hurricanes and insurance, as well as Jamie's residency will all play a role in that. Living by the weather, one way or another.
The mail boat came in here this afternoon, so I got to confirm that it can't reach the dock. Last time it came at night, and I thought it anchored out, but it was hard to tell. This time I got a picture of the small barge-type boat they send out from the town dock to off-load their goods from the mailboat. The photo was added to the gallery.